Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Originally Posted by Crashj007
Was that before the attendance at "AAA" meetings?
"I did not realize AAA had a Twelve Step Program?"

What? You guys lost me. AAA is the auto club, and AA is Alcoholics Anonymous. Why would AAA be for caffeine achievers? My little finger is never involved with locking a car door.

I locked myself out of my car years ago with just a regular key while waiting for it to warm up in wintertime after getting out of work in the middle of the night. I had to clear off the snow while it was warming up, and absent mindedly locked the door, and closed it. Force of habit. I immediately knew I had done wrong, lol. I really hate shift work! Anyway, there are still cars out there that don't lock electronically. There are a variety of ways to mess up .
Your left pinky is what you use to type the letter A. If your left pinky is jittery from too much caffiene, you might accidentally type AAA instead of aa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,575,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Your left pinky is what you use to type the letter A. If your left pinky is jittery from too much caffiene, you might accidentally type AAA instead of aa.
Oh, lol . Now I get it . Thanks.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh, lol . Now I get it . Thanks.
I will sometimes mark a follow on comment with[/sarc] Because = Poe's Law.
I refuse to mark posts with [/joke]

Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
AA=Alcoholics Anonymous
AAA=Alcoholics Anomynous in Automobiles

Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,856 times
AAA saved the day.

They used a wooden wedge, and just put the rod down on the automatic window button and was back in in less than 60 seconds... two minutes tops.

I still haven't found somewhere that can make a FLAT key that can go in wallet. They all have large or round heads.. I need a new wallet too

Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
Dealer should be able to gt a valet key. Every one Ive ever seen is flat.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 AM

139 posts, read 101,890 times
My car is one of those with the push button start, and there is nowhere to even put in any key. I have one of the big flat keys in my key fob. Where/ how can I use that? (if needed, of course).

Old 03-06-2018, 09:24 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Always thought the car wasn't supposed to let you do this. Now it's in the parking lot with the engine running. No spare in the wallet. Mostly due to that it doesn't have a flat head...

Anyone else ever have this happen?
I did this one night when I stopped at a store around midnight after work to grab a package of diapers. I was just sooo tired, wasn't paying attention & as soon as I heard the car door shut behind me I knew what I had done & my heart sank.

Plus it was snowing, with about 6 inches on the ground already. I had to call a 24-hour locksmith. You don't even want to know how much it costs to pay a guy to come out in the middle of the night during a snowstorm.

The store was attached to a strip mall so there was this huge dark & mostly deserted parking lot & I'm just standing out there shivering after having worked 16 hours on my feet at the hospital, holding a package of diapers, in the snow & then along comes a couple cars full of kids to start "doing doughnuts" & hooping & hollering.

When the locksmith got there, I apparently looked so miserably pathetic he felt sorry for me: Told me I reminded him of his daughter & he would hate to think of his daughter standing outside in a snowy, dark parking lot surrounded by a bunch of Yahoos acting like idiots; so he didn't charge me the weekend/evening/holiday-rate. Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My step daughter locked herself out of the car while it was running, with the baby strapped in the car seat. Personally, Im getting sick and tired of cars, web sites, bank accounts, toaster ovens that are all in default lockout mode, and you have to proactively defeat lockout mode in order to use them. Which cannot be done without a pass code phoned to me on a cell phone, which I do not own.

Im not scared of thieves and terrorists, Im scared of the bastards in highly profitable fear-industrial complex who are trying to protect me.
Ahh; I did something similar, except in my case I wish I would have left the car running because it was a record-breaking-low-temperature day; like -6 degrees! And I had my 18-month-old son & 4-month-old daughter sleeping in their car seats, outside of my ex's house in the driveway & I knew how fast the temperature inside the car was dropping. Very panicky feeling.

Solution: Fire Department! Yes, if there is a child or incapacitated adult involved; the Fire Department will quickly respond & have your car still intact & unlocked in about 60 seconds! Of course, they are required to respond in a consistent fashion, so they may pull up with lights & sirens blazing away & all the neighbors will look outside & you will feel like a moron. But at -6 degrees you don't really have any other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
This is what I have done for years. I always had a spare key in my wallet that would unlock the car. For the last several years, due to the chip keys and such, this spare wouldn't start the car but it would get me inside.

My Toyota has a fob (with an emergency blade key integrated). Apparently the car is designed so you can't possibly get locked out. I've tested it and it seems pretty foolproof, but stuff happens. I've thought about having a copy of the emergency key made so I can hide it somewhere on the vehicle.

Lexus vehicles have wallet keys. It's a flat fob that will fit in your wallet like a credit card. Apparently you can retrofit these to various Toyota vehicles. It's just a matter of purchasing the correct walley key, a data cable, and the software needed to program the key/vehicle with a laptop. I've considered this, but it's a pricey option.

You don't need a chip key to simply unlock the door in order to retrieve your standard (chip) key that is locked inside which will of course start the vehicle.
I had a 1990's-something Plymouth Neon that had some wierd key/computer chip thingy under the steering column that I've never heard of before ( or since) then. Without it plugged in; the car would be completely dead. If it was removed while the car was running, the car would still operate ... until you had to shut it off because once you did; without that thingy being plugged in it would not start.

So that presented an issue one day when I was driving through town having a huge argument with my now-ex-boyfriend, who was in the passenger seat. I was stopped at a red light & he reached under the dash, pulled the plug out, jumped out of the car & ran off! A$$hat ... Then I was stuck driving in circles, trying to find him before the car ran out of gas & I would just be stuck forever, right wherever this would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I've decided if this ever happens, I will just smash the window on my piece-of-junk and caulk-in a piece of plexiglass.
Been there too. Just remember to tape it off around the edges, that way it doesn't shatter into a million sharp projectiles ... ESPECIALLY if you have a kid stuck in the car!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach1947 View Post
My car is one of those with the push button start, and there is nowhere to even put in any key. I have one of the big flat keys in my key fob. Where/ how can I use that? (if needed, of course).
Me too. Murano supplies a flat metal key hidden in the fob. Use that key to open the door then start the car the usual way. If you have ignored the warning on the dash that the battery of the fob is low and it has gone dead you should still be able to get the car to start by holding the fob near the start button. It is a RF chip and does not require power.
Your manual should have directions. You will find it in the "glove box" usually in the original wrapper it came in.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Retired EMT, trained in the details of extrication, long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
<>
Been there too. Just remember to tape it off around the edges, that way it doesn't shatter into a million sharp projectiles ... ESPECIALLY if you have a kid stuck in the car!
Tape it off? Silly Wabbit, the window is tempered glass and will, if actually broken, shatter into pebble-like pieces and a bunch of powder, not shards.
I have seen policemen beat on a side glass window fruitlessly for minutes with their billy club or big black flashlight. I would, as EMT on the scene, stay out of their way, as ordered, until they pulled out their hand gun and started to aim it at the car. I would then call out, "Officer, please do not shoot my patient! Let me help you, let's go around to the other side of the car, please."
Arriving there ahead of the now exhausted policeman, I would break through with a seeming mere brush stroke of my hand. The tempered glass would shatter due to impact from a small sharp pointed hardware store tool hidden in my hand, that we had been trained to use. They sell a hammer-like pointy tool now for self rescue.
To break out from a locked or blocked automobile, pull out the headrest and use the metal leg to shatter the glass for your escape. I don't know if you can use another headrest from the outside. I'll try it next entrapment I encounter. YMMV
"Break the window at an unoccupied seat but never next to a child."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive