Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:27 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times

Advertisements

Always thought the car wasn't supposed to let you do this. Now it's in the parking lot with the engine running. No spare in the wallet. Mostly due to that it doesn't have a flat head...

Anyone else ever have this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 03:00 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
My step daughter locked herself out of the car while it was running, with the baby strapped in the car seat. Personally, Im getting sick and tired of cars, web sites, bank accounts, toaster ovens that are all in default lockout mode, and you have to proactively defeat lockout mode in order to use them. Which cannot be done without a pass code phoned to me on a cell phone, which I do not own.

Im not scared of thieves and terrorists, Im scared of the bastards in highly profitable fear-industrial complex who are trying to protect me.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My step daughter locked herself out of the car while it was running, with the baby strapped in the car seat. Personally, Im getting sick and tired of cars, web sites, bank accounts, toaster ovens that are all in default lockout mode, and you have to proactively defeat lockout mode in order to use them. Which cannot be done without a pass code phoned to me on a cell phone, which I do not own.

Im not scared of thieves and terrorists, Im scared of the bastards in highly profitable fear-industrial complex who are trying to protect me.
In that instance. Did they break the window?

Old 03-03-2018, 03:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
I'd try the PD first, and then maybe a locksmith or towing company if the police can't get into it. I used to carry a spare key in my wallet, and I know what you mean about today's keys being too thick. I've been toying with the idea of hiding a spare key outside the vehicle as soon as I can come up with a good spot.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
A locksmith should be able to make a copy of your key using a regular flat key blank that is much more wallet friendly.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:48 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
The makers of the Corvette thought of this(at least in the C5 models.)
I had it happen once, and all I had to do was shake the car, and the door unlocked.
It is programmed that way.

Bob.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Always thought the car wasn't supposed to let you do this. Now it's in the parking lot with the engine running. No spare in the wallet. Mostly due to that it doesn't have a flat head...

Don't bother with the cops, they can't do anything for you except break the window. Time to call a locksmith.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:28 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Don't bother with the cops, they can't do anything for you except break the window. Time to call a locksmith.
Many cops carried a "slim jim" and could get into a car in under 1 minute.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:30 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I had a door key pad to unlock my car so many times I left my keys under my front seat rather then carry them especially in a quick in and out situation. One time my key pad failed and I was locked out. Luckily I use to have a spare key taped to the back of my license plate. Just unscrew the plate and the key was there. Worked for me the time when needed.

Now I have an "electronic" key. Not sure if I can lock myself out. I am still trying to figure it out. I also have a door key pad.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

yes i have done that once. in the middle of shenandoah national park. i eventually was able to break into the car without breaking anything fortunately.

i have also locked my keys in my truck a couple of times in grand canyon national park. both of those times, i pulled the rear window out and unlocked the door.

from then on i have carried two sets of keys for my cars, in separate pockets so i if lock myself out i can get back in without the risk of damaging anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive