Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:40 AM

219 posts, read 157,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
MOST of them are very safety conscious. The few who are not are extremely dangerous. That is, of course, the fault of the driver and not the vehicle. Nevertheless, the effects of bad driving are multiplied as the size of the vehicle increases. A reckless driver in a large SUV can do a lot more damage in an accident that a reckless driver in a Mini Cooper, for example. Some people who driver larger trucks and SUVs just don't seem to see smaller cars. I've had someone in a big SUV or minivan back right into my parked Miata, and all they had to say about it, was, "your car is so little, I just didn't see it!" Good thing my car wasn't a kid or other pedestrian, huh?
I don't hate those who drive SUVs, but I'm still peeved at the woman who backed her brand new luxury SUV into my little Nissan when we were stopped at a light. (Her car was blocking the crosswalk, so she backed up without first looking at her mirrors or glancing at her backup camera.) She tried to blame me for the incident, saying that my car was too close to be seen in her camera (utter BS) and that she couldn't use her rear view mirror because the strollers in the back of her SUV were blocking her view (also BS). My favorite part, though, is that she lied to her insurance company and told them that not only did I rear end her, but that she also had whiplash as a result. Her car had little to no damage, while mine was $500 shy of being declared totaled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
I don't hate those who drive SUVs, but I'm still peeved at the woman who backed her brand new luxury SUV into my little Nissan when we were stopped at a light. (Her car was blocking the crosswalk, so she backed up without first looking at her mirrors or glancing at her backup camera.) She tried to blame me for the incident, saying that my car was too close to be seen in her camera (utter BS) and that she couldn't use her rear view mirror because the strollers in the back of her SUV were blocking her view (also BS). My favorite part, though, is that she lied to her insurance company and told them that not only did I rear end her, but that she also had whiplash as a result. Her car had little to no damage, while mine was $500 shy of being declared totaled.
That’s not the SUV fault you’re trying to say that if she was driving a small car it would not of happened, the driver is at fault not the vehicle. I love it when people try to blame a vehicle instead of the driver of the vehicle. That woman would of hit you regardless of what she was driving.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Appliances

Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Absolutely on point about the way SUVS block visibility of the road ahead, the same.way that trucks do. This compromises the safety of other cars on the road.
That is one point and another is SUVs do nothing well when it comes to driving. They can't avoid an accident ahead, so they will plow into it, they can't brake or handle well at all. There are tons of them for sure, but they are very dangerous since they are so horrible at the driving part of it all.

I have to drive a lot and the vehicles I see crashed when it is raining is usually SUVs and empty pickups. Lets face it, pickups are almost always empty to the point they never haul anything.

I also drive differently around SUV's and pickups as I want to see things, so I won't let them in if given the chance of being ahead of them. I drive a very high performance car that is going to out drive them all anyway, so I should be ahead of them as they can't negotiate curves in the roads.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
We have an SUV, but it's a midsize. Most people should never need anything larger than that.

I remember a lot of SUV hate started when Ford and GM got into a pissing match about who could build the biggest SUV. Chevy had the Suburban for many many years, then Ford tried to one-up them with the Expedition, and then Chevy responded in kind, then Ford goes and builds the Excursion... which was so damn big it wouldn't fit in a standard size garage anymore.

There was a lot of backlash from consumers about the Excursion, and they canceled it pretty quickly after that.

I would prefer if we didn't have an SUV, frankly. But the SUV is for my wife and child, and here in TX, huge jacked up trucks and SUVs are common. I honestly wouldn't feel safe if my wife was carting around our kid in a little econobox car or sedan all the time, if she gets into a wreck in our SUV, the chances of them being ok is much greater than in a smaller vehicle. That's the primary reason we have one.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:36 AM

The automakers are building what the American people want, and that is SUVS and pickups so get use to it.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Because of pure jealousy. plain and simple. If it was not for $5 per gallon, I would still have my K5 blazer. One heck of a truck! I could do any engine repairs standing inside the engine bay.
Why would someone be jealous of some non-driver's vehicle? Real drivers don't want a floating living room, they want something that can handle well and avoid an accident. SUV's are unsafe to operate at speed, so they need to be driven much slower around bends in the road. I hate following them because they are so damn slow. Some of them might be sort of fast in a straight line, but not compared to my high performance European Sports Car that would make them look ridiculous in an obstacle course. Most SUVs are pretty poor at everything but hauling things, but if I just had some kids, I would choose a high performance wagon like a BMW 5 series.

or this

Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Towing capability is fine.
Large family is fine.

But for an individual - it's idiotic.

BUT.

It's their money and if the big ones make them happy. Go for it.

You forgot, a more luxurious ride. Larger vehicles, most importantly, large American made pickup trucks are popular, despite their high price, because they have a very comfortable ride. I know that's why I own a GMC Sierra. I certainly don't need or use that thing for work.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The automakers are building what the American people want, and that is SUVS and pickups so get use to it.
I agree and I think everyone is used to it. Americans aren't "drivers" like in Germany or most of northern Europe. Americans like floating living rooms and just roam on highways in any lane. It isn't like people have to pass on the left on highways here, since many pickup drivers sit in the left lane all the time. This is from personal observation. I constantly have to pass on the right. This sort of goes hand in hand with SUVs and pickups, since we just don't take driving seriously. If we took driving seriously, we wouldn't drive pickups and SUVs. Seems simple enough.

As accidents increase now that people are always texting and driving, I expect a big increase in deaths with all these SUVs and pickups, since they can't recover well from mistakes like a high performance German car can. Many deaths can be attributed to poor vehicle choices since if you make a mistake you are going to fly off the road. In a high performance handling car like an RS5, you can easily recover, but you hang a couple of wheels off the road in an SUV or pickup, you are probably going to wreck.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why would someone be jealous of some non-driver's vehicle? Real drivers don't want a floating living room, they want something that can handle well and avoid an accident. SUV's are unsafe to operate at speed, so they need to be driven much slower around bends in the road. I hate following them because they are so damn slow. Some of them might be sort of fast in a straight line, but not compared to my high performance European Sports Car that would make them look ridiculous in an obstacle course. Most SUVs are pretty poor at everything but hauling things, but if I just had some kids, I would choose a high performance wagon like a BMW 5 series.

or this
Well the average American driver want big comfortable vehicles and that why they love a large suv or a full-size pickup that’s who the automakers targeted sales are zeroing in on there more of these people than you race car performance people. So that’s we’re the automakers make their bread and butter on the average American driver. I rather have a full size pickup or suv because i know i can use it to haul a person driving one of those small performance vehicles out of a snow bank if need be or tow the trailer that the performance vehicle is on after it wraps it self around a pole because the driver thinks he’s Mario Andretti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive