Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,440,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Absolutely on point about the way SUVS block visibility of the road ahead, the same.way that trucks do. This compromises the safety of other cars on the road.
If your really believe this than you better stay far back of them then. And as far as a big rig semi those drivers are very safety conscious and just remember those big rigs make it possible for you to eat and drive your vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
?
Because many people driving them can't park them without making about 15 maneuvers doing so and still not park straight. They act like their suv's are as large as semi trucks and think they need an entire street for themself in order to not run into oncoming traffic. So annoying.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 PM

817 posts, read 924,493 times
If the SUV driver observes the proper following distance, parks in a single space (or goes to a far corner of the parking area), and doesn't block the forward view, there is no problem.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,601,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If your really believe this than you better stay far back of them then. And as far as a big rig semi those drivers are very safety conscious and just remember those big rigs make it possible for you to eat and drive your vehicle.
MOST of them are very safety conscious. The few who are not are extremely dangerous. That is, of course, the fault of the driver and not the vehicle. Nevertheless, the effects of bad driving are multiplied as the size of the vehicle increases. A reckless driver in a large SUV can do a lot more damage in an accident that a reckless driver in a Mini Cooper, for example. Some people who driver larger trucks and SUVs just don't seem to see smaller cars. I've had someone in a big SUV or minivan back right into my parked Miata, and all they had to say about it, was, "your car is so little, I just didn't see it!" Good thing my car wasn't a kid or other pedestrian, huh?

Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,160,895 times
Because of pure jealousy. plain and simple. If it was not for $5 per gallon, I would still have my K5 blazer. One heck of a truck! I could do any engine repairs standing inside the engine bay.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:59 AM

7,199 posts, read 9,348,499 times
I wouldn't say that I hate SUVs. Some people need them.

But I dislike parking next to them because when it's time to leave the parking lot they block my view. I have to back up very slowly because I cannot see traffic coming toward me.

I also don't understand why anybody would want to buy that much gas. Way back in 1983, I owned an "OJ" Bronco. It got about 12 mpg in the city and on the highway. I recently read a review on the newest Dodge Ram truck with the hemi engine. It now delivers an actual 15 mpg. Whoopee! A generic Camry uses half that much gas.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,749,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I also don't understand why anybody would want to buy that much gas. Way back in 1983, I owned an "OJ" Bronco. It got about 12 mpg in the city and on the highway. I recently read a review on the newest Dodge Ram truck with the hemi engine. It now delivers an actual 15 mpg. Whoopee! A generic Camry uses half that much gas.
I just bought a slightly used Toyota Prius C, and it's like a wee tiny station wagon (like the Honda Fit). This little miracle has impressive storage capacity (with the rear seat folded down) and since I purchased it, I'm getting 55-65 mpg.

I don't understand how people can afford to keep these SUVs that get 15-18 mpgs. I really don't.

If you need to haul something, then it's going to be worth your while to RENT a truck from time to time, rather than put $50 worth of gas in your SUV twice a week.

1.IMG_7007 V8 Seabiscuit Turbo by Rosethornil, on Flickr

Old 06-04-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I just bought a slightly used Toyota Prius C, and it's like a wee tiny station wagon (like the Honda Fit). This little miracle has impressive storage capacity (with the rear seat folded down) and since I purchased it, I'm getting 55-65 mpg.

I don't understand how people can afford to keep these SUVs that get 15-18 mpgs. I really don't.

If you need to haul something, then it's going to be worth your while to RENT a truck from time to time, rather than put $50 worth of gas in your SUV twice a week.

1.IMG_7007 V8 Seabiscuit Turbo by Rosethornil, on Flickr
It’s their right to drive what they want they probably think you drive a tree hugger car, if people would just wouldn’t worry about what others do this world would be better off but people have to give their 2 cent opinion about everything people do or drive, just worry about yourself and don’t worry what others drive, it’s none of your business. People who drive a SUV probably think these little clown cars are unsafe to drive. And it’s their money your not paying for gas in their vehicles.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I wouldn't say that I hate SUVs. Some people need them.

But I dislike parking next to them because when it's time to leave the parking lot they block my view. I have to back up very slowly because I cannot see traffic coming toward me.

So what you’re not paying for their gas why are you worried about it.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Visibility, dangerous, drive up gas prices for everyone by increasing demand, but mostly because they’re highly likely to have a gaggle of kids in that soccer mom mobile and kids are bigger driving distractions than cell phones ever will be.
You are crazy if you think large SUVs drive up gas prices, so you think the FBI and the secret service are soccer moms they all drive big Tahoe’s or Suburbans. And what do you think Fire departments drive tree hugger cars. If you don’t like large SUV’s than stay out of their way. They have the same right to be on the road as your little clown cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive