Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for the lowest price for any kind of truck you can beat the snot out of:

Ford, Chevy, Dodge in that order.

Older fords you have to deal with failing coil packs. Dealer charges $200 to replace them or you can DIY for about $45 each. There are 8 of them and they always start failing about 120, 140K miles, and then fail again in another 100K. If you get a gas F-150 you want the 4.6/5.4 engine, form my experience. I would be hesitant to get an new aluminum ford if I were going to beat it up. One big advantage of F-150 - tons of used parts available at reasonable prices.

Chevy - usually slightly more expensive. Often fancier - more to break, often more expensive/more difficult to fix (unless you go really old). Holds up about the same as Ford. Less plentiful (which is part of the reason they cost more). The Ford/Chevy difference is miniscule. I have always seen Ford as a tiny bit more rough/rugged and a bit cheaper; chevy as a bit nicer/more costly, but it really depends on the model.

Dodge/RAM - pre 2009 - better carry a full set of tools and some spare parts at all times. Also expect rust issues, terrible design that make simple repairs all day affairs. Post 2009 better. Some amazing ideas. Still lots of overly cheap parts used for something meant to be beat up. Lots of high tech stuff that is just plain stupid (for example - Hemi engine has 16 iridium spark plugs instead of 8, there is no significant benefit tot his, it just costs more). Dodge of any time period after about 1968 is simply going to have more issues than Ford or Chevy, but less drastic post 2009 and the good ideas incorporated into the post 2009 models make the repairs worth the hassle to me (but not to everyone). The 2004 1/2 diesel was a great truck if you can find one (usually pretty pricey for the year/condition)

Toyota/Nissan/Datsun/and especially Honda - not really a work truck. The Honda "truck" is really just a Honda car with the trunk lid removed. However the Titan XD is a pretty rugged truck with some capability and power. It is pretty expensive but so are the luxury versions of Ford, Chevy and RAM. If you want a heavy duty truck however, no one makes them except Ford, Chevy and RAM.

I would get a long-bed. Yes it is a bit more of a PIA to park, but if 2.5 feet makes a huge difference for you in parking your truck - practice more.

I have a 5'7" bed (I think, the exact number is not something I memorized). I often wish I had a longer bed. I have never wished I had a shorter bed, not even once. If cost is no object, get a 1 ton diesel. The things you cannot do with it you will not likely ever need to do. However you are paying a lot for the extra torque and cargo/towing capability. If you do not need it, it is a waste of money. On the other hand, overloading a 1500 will quickly destroy your truck.

I had an old style Ranger for many years and for a short time drove one of those smaller Mazda pick ups. I do not see the reason for them. They are small, cheap, and cramped inside, uncomfortable, underpowered and often too small to carry or tow what I needed. They are a tiny bit easier to park, get a tiny bit better MPG and cost a tiny bit less when you buy a used one (not so much the ranger, they are very popular). I do not understand them, but they are super popular.

I do not know much about the newer mid-sized trucks (Canyon and soon - Ranger II). However I do know the Canyon is super popular with our construction superintendents and managers. One thing I like about them is they are lower. The newer trucks are way too high, you cannot reach into the bed. Many people cannot eve see into the bed. Older full sized were reasonable. With new trucks you have to go with mid sized to get a reasonable height.

If you want to e a truly impressive truly Texan mans man - drive a Peterbuilt. They are made in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 PM

352 posts, read 387,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
We're doing it. We're finally becoming Texans after living in San Antonio for 17 years. We're thinking of purchasing a pickup truck. Thing is, used trucks are so expensive! Wow! This truck is just going to be a pure workhorse, it's really not going to get that many miles put on it with us. It will be kept outside in the driveway so it's important that it doesn't leak any oil.

Do you think I should get a Toyota Tacoma with 200,000 miles or so? Or 1990's Ford F-250 diesel in case I want to tow something? What would you recommend? Which pickup models have the most reliable engines? The 7.3L Powerstroke diesel? What's the best, off the tops of your heads? Thanks in advance!
This initial post shows you don't really know what you need or want. How can you even be comparing a Tacoma (compact pu) to an F250 diesel (hd pu); they are miles apart; you have Tundras and F150s in between those two. Do you want to do heavy towing and/or hauling or not? Do you really want to get involved with a 20 year old truck? You say you're not going to drive it much, so forget about the diesel. If you want to tow/haul heavy look for a V8 gas. For light utility use get a compact or 1/2 ton, either 4 cylinder, V6 or small V8 that can seat your passengers, if sny.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
People also don't realize that these Ford aluminum trucks do rust.

The frame and other metal components are still made out of steel. Those parts will rust.

Up here in hill and mountain country the roads are salted and now they are using some form of liquid salt that is more corrosive.

I know of two local folks who purchased new Ford trucks 8-10 years ago and the frames rusted and could not pass state inspection. Both junked.

My 2002 truck is oil undercoated every year and I have zero rust anywhere.

If you live in the South - rust may not be an issue.
Only the bed is aluminum. The cabs are still steel and the cab ends and rocker panels still rust. I've seen plenty of late model Fords in northeast Ohio with pain bubbling and surface rust. Bumpers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive