Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:47 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Yes, I can hear most of it crystal clear.

I can listen all day. Legal. It is only illegal for me to transmit, so of course, I never try to talk to them on that channel LOL .

If they are chasing someone, that's when it starts making these weird Star Wars laser gun sounds and I can't hear those... that is the encryption that was previously mentioned.

But Chicago Illinois, and at least one car in Newark NJ PD, I can hear.

With the Baofeng I think it is BF-F9 V2+ or something, I can enter in an exact frequency number and listen to whatever is on it if it's not encrypted .

EDIT: it will also scan, yes, UHF.. but googling the right one and keying it in and save a lot and I do mean a lot of time.

Usually 460.27MHz UHF and most police departments are not encrypted. I actually need to buy another scanner since I recently lost all of my things. I will get another Baofeng the one that I had...
I might try to get one of those Baofengs, since they are so cheap. I have been thinking about getting something to listen to the local PD and FD here. Since the area I live in is so remote, the county doesn't dispatch here. It's all handled by the city government. So I can't hear it on Broadcastify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
OK, as an over simplified summary there are multiple ways a police (or other group) might communicate, and depending upon what they choose, you need a scanner to match. Generally, as you go down the list, they will do everything above them:

1 - Analog (the ones you have from a while ago)

2 - Trunking
3- Digital Phase 1
4 - Digital Phase 2
5 - Encrypted (you can't hear these with just a store-bought scanner).

So, if you want a scanner, find out what the group you want to listen to uses, and get one that matches. Departments right now seem to be all over the place and big or small doesn't seem to matter, just if they've upgraded. There are some other nuances as well, but generally this is a good way to think of it.

Also, some departments might communicate on digital, but the dispatch or something might simulcast on analog, so you could still hear the dispatch but not everything if you don't have the proper equipment.

Finally note, as programming the newer technologies could be time consuming, some of the most advance scanners do all that for you. You simply type in a zip code, or connect an external GPS and they will automatically load the used frequencies in your area. Otherwise, you there are plenty of online resources to view or even download the appropriate programming.

Air traffic control, most race series, marine and railroad radio is all still analog, so even if your police deperartment or such moved, a cheap analog scanner can still be useful.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I might try to get one of those Baofengs, since they are so cheap. I have been thinking about getting something to listen to the local PD and FD here. Since the area I live in is so remote, the county doesn't dispatch here. It's all handled by the city government. So I can't hear it on Broadcastify.
I'll get you a link.

I can hear all but a small portion of what they say.

If it's UHF.. I can hear it.

Just gotta get the right frequency. And they still encrypt their emergency broadcasts. Probably when they have the pursuit wailers (lights) on..

Old 06-16-2018, 03:58 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Here. https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Radio...pop_d_pd_title

It looks intimidating, but it was *somewhat* simple to use once I got it.

If there is more capable one, let me know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive