Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Under the title conditions, how fast are you comfortable foing?
60 3 5.88%
70 10 19.61%
80 20 39.22%
90 8 15.69%
100 6 11.76%
110 0 0%
120 1 1.96%
120+ 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times

Advertisements

Depends on where you're used to driving, too. If you come to the US from Germany and the autobahns, you're probably going to think 80mph is way too slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
I've always thought of east coast roads as so clogged with traffic that going the speed limit was all but impossible.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,692,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
East coast matters because road conditions and visibility distance and animal incursions are far different than in the desert west and central part of the country.
I hit a coyote at 85 mph (80 mph zone) on a clear morning on a "deserted" stretch of road in the desert in a full-sized pickup. The collision ripped the lower bumper valence off the truck, dented a thick skid-plate underneath the truck & nearly threw me out of control. The coyote was centered & hit the rear differential ("pumpkin") lifting the rear wheels off the ground.

In a smaller/lower vehicle, that collision would have damaged the bumper/core support/radiator & possibly caused the vehicle to roll, causing serious injuries. What they tell you in driver's Ed is actually true, at a certain speed - you can clearly see a hazard & not have time to move your foot to the brake, much less slow the vehicle at all - and steering won't help because you'll roll the vehicle.

The point being - you're not really "safer" in a sports car, or on a "deserted" road at high speeds. I had outstanding visibility, a well-maintained car & was driving in an area so desolate that there was only one radio station available.

Before I hit that coyote, I'd have said all the same things other posters have said, "in a corvette, 130-150mph would be totally safe".. Sometimes road hazards come to you. At speeds approaching 100mph, you're more like an aircraft pilot than a driver. Throttle, braking & steering input are more of a "suggestion" to the vehicle than a command. The wheels are on the ground for sure, but inertia means they can leave the ground pretty easy if you mess up, or if the unexpected comes to you.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I hit a coyote at 85 mph (80 mph zone) on a clear morning on a "deserted" stretch of road in the desert in a full-sized pickup. The collision ripped the lower bumper valence off the truck, dented a thick skid-plate underneath the truck & nearly threw me out of control. The coyote was centered & hit the rear differential ("pumpkin") lifting the rear wheels off the ground.

In a smaller/lower vehicle, that collision would have damaged the bumper/core support/radiator & possibly caused the vehicle to roll, causing serious injuries. What they tell you in driver's Ed is actually true, at a certain speed - you can clearly see a hazard & not have time to move your foot to the brake, much less slow the vehicle at all - and steering won't help because you'll roll the vehicle.

The point being - you're not really "safer" in a sports car, or on a "deserted" road at high speeds. I had outstanding visibility, a well-maintained car & was driving in an area so desolate that there was only one radio station available.

Before I hit that coyote, I'd have said all the same things other posters have said, "in a corvette, 130-150mph would be totally safe".. Sometimes road hazards come to you. At speeds approaching 100mph, you're more like an aircraft pilot than a driver. Throttle, braking & steering input are more of a "suggestion" to the vehicle than a command. The wheels are on the ground for sure, but inertia means they can leave the ground pretty easy if you mess up, or if the unexpected comes to you.
I've crossed the desert at high speed and have been absolutely amazed how far you can see in all directions. And although the chances are not that good that you will see that rabbit crossing the road 1/2 mile away, you are highly likely to see a bunch of larger animals.

This is as opposed to the tree line 20 feet from the side of east coast roads (and bushes even closer) where that fast moving deer will be on you before you blink an eye.

I think there is a huge potential difference in visibility; that is why I specified east coast.

Yet at the same time, I did hit a 7 foot long tumbleweed in Utah that climbed over the tall jersey barrier 1-2 seconds in front of me. Those things do more damage than I would have thought; to both my grille and to my hand when I reached in to clear it from the radiator.

My concern with animals anywhere is that the noses of my RX7s are about 12" off the ground with a nicely curved hood leading right to the windshield. It also has a slope that I would hope would protect me by pushing the animal up further and over the hood, but I think it is just as likely the critter might land where I am already seated.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:49 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
A big factor in speeding is the quality of the tires. A high speed blowout would probably end in a rollover if tires are worn or not rated for high speed.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Sheesh, people, read the first post. "Laws aside, no traffic, interstate..."

80-90 would be a comfortable speed.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

So...how's the coyote doing?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So...how's the coyote doing?
Probably, about as well you would expect.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
In the areas where I usually drive, it's absolutely covered with deer so that kind of limits how fast to go Generally 70 MPH. I've gone faster in open stretches in other states.

I've had my share of close encounters with them on I-90, I-81, I-80, & I-79. Pretty much everyone I know in my area has ruined a car due to hitting a deer :: I've lived in a lot of states but this one has the most deer I've seen in my life.

It would also depend on the kind of vehicle I had I suppose.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:57 AM

22,663 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Depends on the vehicle I am driving and the current cost of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive