Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,680,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The true is other than towing capacity, SUVs aren't better than minivans.

The boxy shape of minivans make them more utilitarian and practical than SUVs but the same "boxy" shape also makes them less appealing aesthetically to buyers.
Just out of curiosity, I thought you have a SUV and not a mini-van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:41 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,948,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
First, you need to make sure you understand what constitutes an SUV. We're not discussing CUVs, which you seem to want to bring into the picture now. Here are actual SUVs and their final sales number for 2017 in North America.

Compact SUV:
Jeep Wrangler - 191,774 - 2k lbs
Kia Sportage - 81,066 - 907 lbs

Mid-size SUVs:
Jeep Grand Cherokee - 212,273 - 7400 lbs
Kia Sorento - 114,733 - 5k lbs
Toyota 4Runner - 111,970 - 5k lbs
Toyota Land Cruiser - 3,705 - 8100 lbs
Lexus LX - 5,707 - 7k lbs

Full-size SUVs:
Chevy Suburban - 60,082 - 8300 lbs
Chevy Tahoe - 103,306 - 8600 lbs
Dodge Durango - 68,474 - 7400 lbs
Ford Expedition - 59,835 - 9k lbs
Lincoln Navigator - 10,421 - 9k lbs
GMC Yukon - 53,447 - 8500 lbs
Nissan Armada - 14,035 - 8500 lbs
Toyota Sequoia - 12,771 - 7400 lbs
Infiniti QX80 - 16,772 - 8500 lbs
Cadillac Escalade - 39,092 - 8300 lbs

SUV Comparison Chart

The Equinox, etc.... are CUVs, and are a different class of vehicle and are not part of the equation here. Now that we're clear, on to the numbers.

Total SUVs sold in 2017: 1,159,463
Total SUVs sold in 2017 that can tow over 5000 lbs - 886,623

Based on sales, 76.5% of SUVs sold can tow over 5k lbs.
You’re arguing semantics. Toyota, Honda and every other automaker refer to vehicles like the RAV4 and CRV as SUVs. You may not like that or agree with it, but it is what it is. Hell, Motor Trend selected the CRV as ***SUV*** of the year. It seems like some larger SUV owners can get a little defensive when the cute SUVs are lumped in with their larger SUVs. “I have a REAL SUV sir”

Now, back to business - the sales figures I’m looking at show the CRV, RAV4 and Rogue at about 1.2 MILLION units. Just those 3 SUVs. Care to redo your figures?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,724,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And sometimes AWD and ground clearance. For instance, my Range Rover was killer in deep snow that minivans would have had a hard time with. Press a button on the dash and raise it up 4" and the AWD takes care of the rest.
Since we now get snow every winter here in NC, I'm looking forward to seeing how our minivan handles it compared to the SUV I sold to make room for it. I have a feeling I'll miss the ground clearance in my perpetually unplowed neighborhood...

Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The true is other than towing capacity, SUVs aren't better than minivans.

The boxy shape of minivans make them more utilitarian and practical than SUVs but the same "boxy" shape also makes them less appealing aesthetically to buyers.
I agree. From a looks/image standpoint, the SUV has been marketed as being more rugged/utilitarian/tough. But we all know those that sell will always try to be a step ahead and keep the masses wanting what they don’t have. Thus, I won’t be surprised if there’s some kind of revelation and people start going back to minivans and cars.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,479,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You’re arguing semantics. Toyota, Honda and every other automaker refer to vehicles like the RAV4 and CRV as SUVs. You may not like that or agree with it, but it is what it is. Hell, Motor Trend selected the CRV as ***SUV*** of the year. It seems like some larger SUV owners can get a little defensive when the cute SUVs are lumped in with their larger SUVs. “I have a REAL SUV sir”

Now, back to business - the sales figures I’m looking at show the CRV, RAV4 and Rogue at about 1.2 MILLION units. Just those 3 SUVs. Care to redo your figures?
I don't even know what your point with the thread is now? Now you're arguing CUVs are SUVs because they're referred to as such in a magazine and an ad even though people have given you technical evidence that they are unibody CUVs. Even if we gave in and said you're right, then it would totally nullify your whole point with starting the thread in the first place, which is to chastise SUV owners for making such a dumb purchase based on some unseen future oil crisis.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Quote:
Out of curiousity - in what functional ways are today’s SUVs better than minivans? Is it just the stigma of driving a minivan...tells the world you’re life is basically white bread family stuff? A minivan seems like the ultimate “SUV” considering they hold more people and carry more stuff. With SUVs having replaced the minivan, won’t they also have the same stigma in 10-15 years?

(Yes I KNOW that some SUVs can tow but we’re probably talking about less than 5% of people actually towing 1500+ pounds).
Functionally, a "real" SUV has better approach and departure angles, better articulation, better ground clearance, and a better 4x4 system. The engines typically have better low range power and they have better gearing to utilize this. Many minivans are based upon upgraded car chassis, while SUVs are truck based (durability, strength advantages).

Old 07-25-2018, 02:48 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,432,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And sometimes AWD and ground clearance. For instance, my Range Rover was killer in deep snow that minivans would have had a hard time with. Press a button on the dash and raise it up 4" and the AWD takes care of the rest.

Kind of a misleading phot because I drove it out of the parking space in the deep snow THEN went back and shoveled...
This is the way to shovel snow no way a mini van can do what my old pickup could do I pulled out stuck mini vans from deep snow, this is why you need a 4X4 Suv or pickup if you live in snow country like I do.

Attachment 200368

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't even know what your point with the thread is now? Now you're arguing CUVs are SUVs because they're referred to as such in a magazine and an ad even though people have given you technical evidence that they are unibody CUVs. Even if we gave in and said you're right, then it would totally nullify your whole point with starting the thread in the first place, which is to chastise SUV owners for making such a dumb purchase based on some unseen future oil crisis.
YOU are arguing semantics again. Show me your definitive source that defines what an SUV is. Are you an encyclopedia of automotive knowledge? Perhaps you could start a campaign geared toward terminology in the automotive industry. The automakers, journalist and even NHTSA must all irk you by using definitions you don’t approve of.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Functionally, a "real" SUV has better approach and departure angles, better articulation, better ground clearance, and a better 4x4 system. The engines typically have better low range power and they have better gearing to utilize this. Many minivans are based upon upgraded car chassis, while SUVs are truck based (durability, strength advantages).
Are we talking about the same kind of functionality needed to get 95% of people to work and back or to the grocery store?

I mean a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and a Chrysler minivan can both do what 95% of people need to do as far as moving down the road.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:08 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,432,600 times
Quote:
YOU are arguing semantics again. Show me your definitive source that defines what an SUV is. Are you an encyclopedia of automotive knowledge? Perhaps you could start a campaign geared toward terminology in the automotive industry. The automakers, journalist and even NHTSA must all irk you by using definitions you don’t approve of.
A SUV is different than a Cuv because a suv is bigger a suv is a body on frame a cuv is a unibody the new Explorer can be classified as a Cuv because it now has a unibody. But most Cuv’s Are front wheel drive and cannot tow as much as a SUV because of the hitch is bolted to the frame like a pickup. And with a CUv you cannot get a V8 motor unlike a SUV. So for everyone calling all Cuv’s A Suv is not correct SUV= Sport Utility Vehicle. Cuv= Cross utility Vehicle. Suv’s Have been here since the first Ford Bronco and the Dodge Ramcharger and the Chevy Blazer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive