Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I've read that point being brought up several times on here. Thing is all vehicles across the board have improved in mpg. I'm glad SUVs have improved in fuel economy & probably more % wise compared to compact cars, but there are still more fuel efficient vehicles out there in comparison. The new Expedition gets 24 mpg highway. Much better than in the past, but the new Camry now gets 41 mpg highway.
We shouldn't be content with any vehicle's fuel efficiency saying that oh it gets so & so mileage so it's ok to buy bigger now.

That's kind of not the point. When body-on-frame SUVs and pickups got 10 MPG, there was an enormous fuel cost penalty. When most people are driving unibody crossovers with improved aerodynamics that look like a sneaker, they're getting 25+ MPG highway. The added fuel cost is very low. Depreciation is your dominant ownership cost.

I drive a 6-cylinder Outback these days. The EPA rating is 27 MPG highway and I see about 26 MPG in the summer at 74 mph. I never considered the 4-cylinder version that gets 31 MPG highway. I didn't want to give up the power to get the improved fuel economy. Over the life of the car, the added fuel cost is insignificant. There are lots of midsize crossovers with low boost turbos that get similar fuel economy. I like the utility of being able to seat four 6'2" adults in the car. I like the utility of 3,000 pounds of towing capacity. I like the 6 foot cargo bed length with the rear seat folded. I winter at a ski resort so I like the convenience of AWD. The extra ground clearance is useful during mud month and powering through the ski area parking lot after a big snowstorm. I could apply the shrink ray to the car and get better fuel economy from a Prius but I'd be giving up a lot of utility I use all the time.

What I'd like eventually is a plug-in hybrid version of what I have now. Around town, I use zero gasoline. On the highway, I'm holding speed with a low displacement 4-cylinder engine and the electric motors kick in when I need the acceleration. Right now, the market isn't willing to pay the extra money for that kind of drive system and the current political party isn't interested in CAFE fleet fuel economy improvements. Maybe in 5 years when I'm car shopping, it will exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
I've read that point being brought up several times on here. Thing is all vehicles across the board have improved in mpg. I'm glad SUVs have improved in fuel economy & probably more % wise compared to compact cars, but there are still more fuel efficient vehicles out there in comparison. The new Expedition gets 24 mpg highway. Much better than in the past, but the new Camry now gets 41 mpg highway.
We shouldn't be content with any vehicle's fuel efficiency saying that oh it gets so & so mileage so it's ok to buy bigger now.
But it’s a Camry? My Wife’s Elantra gets 35-45 MPG, but it’s a penalty box.

MPG is not my primary concern. We should be content to let others do as they please.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
The big thing about it is the delta has shrunk. Massively. Used to be it was a choice between a 30 MPG commuter car and a 15 MPG BOF SUV. But today it's a choice between a 30 MPG crossover and a 40 MPG commuter. A switch from a 15 MPG to 10 MPG delta, and a literal 100% gain to a 33% gain.

I left out hybrids intentionally because by now most people who are going to go hybrid have gone hybrid, and even then they'd be looking at a hybrid crossover versus a hybrid hatchback anyway.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:19 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
It's more fuel efficient to ride a motorcycle to work - do you think that works for every family? Fuel efficiency isn't the end all/be all. For some people, fuel efficiency doesn't matter as much as utility, comfort, and power. A Camry can't meet everybody's need.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
The big thing about it is the delta has shrunk. Massively. Used to be it was a choice between a 30 MPG commuter car and a 15 MPG BOF SUV. But today it's a choice between a 30 MPG crossover and a 40 MPG commuter. A switch from a 15 MPG to 10 MPG delta, and a literal 100% gain to a 33% gain.

Yep. The weight shrunk, engines/transmissions became more efficient, and the aerodynamics got better. A new CR-V doesn't have that much less cargo volume than a first generation Ford Exploder.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:09 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Fuel costs are one thing, but combined with the added purchase price of larger vehicles, there will undoubtably be a portion of car buyers feeling the sting when things go south for a bit.

Think about it - due to demand, a CRV is about $6-7k more than a Civic. So while the Civic won’t save THAT much at the pump with say $5 gas, the person buying the SUV (when a car would otherwise work) will still be paying more when you factor in gas and the higher payment. That’s money which could’ve otherwise helped sustain them through harder times.

Yes, people that manage their money well won’t have a problem, but we all know there’s a significant amount of people that don’t in this country. They live more month-to-month so suddenly having to pay an extra $200/month during bad times can really impact them. Of course these people aren’t on here arguing about the matter because their brain isn’t wired to think long term.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:19 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Fuel costs are one thing, but combined with the added purchase price of larger vehicles, there will undoubtably be a portion of car buyers feeling the sting when things go south for a bit.

Think about it - due to demand, a CRV is about $6-7k more than a Civic. So while the Civic won’t save THAT much at the pump with say $5 gas, the person buying the SUV (when a car would otherwise work) will still be paying more when you factor in gas and the higher payment. That’s money which could’ve otherwise helped sustain them through harder times.

Yes, people that manage their money well won’t have a problem, but we all know there’s a significant amount of people that don’t in this country. They live more month-to-month so suddenly having to pay an extra $200/month during bad times can really impact them. Of course these people aren’t on here arguing about the matter because their brain isn’t wired to think long term.
It's like you get off on this idea of expensive gas and everybody wishing they didn't buy large cars (many of which get 30+ mpg anyway).

Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's as if you have some sort of vendetta that other people do not want to drive small econoboxes and wish on them expensive gas prices to show them why they're wrong.
There are a lot of people like that. Very self-righteous and judgmental. Then they want to borrow your truck to move or get something.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
I can't say I understand the appeal of an SUV, I have driven a few trucks and SUVs over the years and I do not feel as comfortable in them as I do in a car.

Cars generally have a lot better handling, better responsiveness. Cars are generally smaller and lighter and therefore faster, I can get where I want to go or get out of the way if need be in a more efficient manner. Cars are not as prone to flipping or rolling as SUVs. Cars are cheaper than SUVs and a lot more fuel efficient. Every midsize to full size car seats as many people as a Small midsize SUV.

I really don't understand the appeal. I'll stick to my faster, more nimble, cheaper, and more efficient car, thank you.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's like you get off on this idea of expensive gas and everybody wishing they didn't buy large cars (many of which get 30+ mpg anyway).
It has happened before. We like to think things will never change, but I’m not going to put money on buying habits not changing in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive