Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a used car and have noticed how many places are presenting the CarFax report. The cars that were taken into a lube shop on a regular schedule are appealing because you know the oil got changed on time, but just because it wasn't in a lube shop doesn't mean the oil wasn't changed -- it's one of the most common DIY jobs for a car. But you can't really prove that you changed your own oil on a regular basis.

So my question is, how much does doing your own oil change affect the value of the car? Does it outweigh the savings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Considering how often quick lube places screw up, I wouldn't count them as a benefit. Often times, DIYers will have receipts for their oil changes that go with the car.

Look in the oil cap and see if there's any sludge, that'll tell you if oil was changed regularly or not. The color of the oil is no telltale, however, as it can get dark pretty quick. Other than that, if there's now receipts than just perform an oil change and go on with life.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:43 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,438 times
Tiffer is on to something. Quick lube places were notorious for screwing things up and many were exposed for not actually changing the oil and/or filter. I don't think DIYers would affect the value at all. If a motor was neglected, it will show and should be obvious to anyone with the slightest skill in automotive evaluations. You could always send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs, check the exhaust tips or O2 sensors for soot, compression ratios for leaks at the valves, but many DIYers keep a log of their maintenance records....I keep my on Google Docs.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:56 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm in the market for a used car and have noticed how many places are presenting the CarFax report. The cars that were taken into a lube shop on a regular schedule are appealing because you know the oil got changed on time, but just because it wasn't in a lube shop doesn't mean the oil wasn't changed -- it's one of the most common DIY jobs for a car. But you can't really prove that you changed your own oil on a regular basis.

So my question is, how much does doing your own oil change affect the value of the car? Does it outweigh the savings?

For me, none whatsoever. In my life, I have bought three (IIRC) new vehicles. the other thirty or forty were all used, mostly private party purchases. I think I bought one that came with a stack of maintenance records.
Out of all the vehicles I have sold, not one buyer asked for such records.
As for Carfax reports, if anybody ever ran one on a vehicle I was selling, they never mentioned it to me, and I have seldom asked for them. They are only as good as the reporting system, and the reports may or may not be valid. I know of one case where a car was involved in a minor fender bender, the insurance company repaired it good as new, then said it was totaled. was it reported to Carfax as totaled? I don't know, a Carfax report hasn't been requested AFAIK. The owners are still driving it.
So, if you did your own oil changes, there is no way I would know, and I would not care.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:03 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
If you take a vehicle to oil lube shop it shows up on a carfax? I only see dealer appointments on the ones I’ve looked at.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
I record all repairs and maintenance in a little notebook I keep in the glovebox of each car I own.

I haven't sold a lot of cars at prices where the buyer would care about this (I mean, no one cares about maintenance records on a 20 year old $400 car), but the notebook would be there. Easy peasy. No one would go to the trouble of faking 15 years of notes about oil changes, done in different pens/pencils, with dates, in a little shabby spiral notebook that has clearly been knocking about in the glovebox for the last 15 years. I mean, someone could do that, but any even semi-reasonable buyer would recognize that my notebook of maintenance records is not faked.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I record all repairs and maintenance in a little notebook I keep in the glovebox of each car I own.

I haven't sold a lot of cars at prices where the buyer would care about this (I mean, no one cares about maintenance records on a 20 year old $400 car), but the notebook would be there. Easy peasy. No one would go to the trouble of faking 15 years of notes about oil changes, done in different pens/pencils, with dates, in a little shabby spiral notebook that has clearly been knocking about in the glovebox for the last 15 years. I mean, someone could do that, but any even semi-reasonable buyer would recognize that my notebook of maintenance records is not faked.
Way off topic but something you wrote about pens. I've used the same type of pen, black ink roller ball, for decades. Everything I write, unless it's something I want to highlight for some reason or otherwise call attention to, is in that black roller ball ink.

Oh, depending on what I'm highlighting, it's either green or red ball point.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Most would be surprised at how stupid people are when selling a used car.

The first thing that I check is the oil. If it is not clear clean and at top - I don't buy the car.
The second thing I check is the automatic transmission fluid. If it is not pink (there is also clear) and at top - I don't buy car.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Most would be surprised at how stupid people are when selling a used car.

The first thing that I check is the oil. If it is not clear clean and at top - I don't buy the car.
The second thing I check is the automatic transmission fluid. If it is not pink (there is also clear) and at top - I don't buy car.

Lots of newer cars with lifetime fill and no dipstick for the trans. Like my car. And a car that had it's engine oil changed a thousand miles ago might have dark il already, but still be good for another 4000 miles or more, So just looking at it and looking for clean and clear is faulty logic.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
But you can't really prove that you changed your own oil on a regular basis.
I keep all my receipts for automotive maintenance and show them for a private party sale of my older vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive