Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times

Advertisements

I know this post may infuriates some because of the generalization but a lot of my co-workers agrees with me and we all drive to work

Slower drivers are:

- Less skilled because they are used to being stationary and not being aware of their surroundings. Countless times I see close calls because a slower driver nearly got ran over by a big rig or a bus.

- Are not good at lane changes, often I see a slow driver make the most dangerous lane change which is braking and slowing down before they change lanes which can cause faster traffic behind or near it to slam on the brakes or sometimes just ram into them.

- slow drivers causes the most delays at highway merges. To go or not to go, contemplating about speeding up or just complete stop at the end of the merge causes morning tie ups.

- often inexperienced drivers are slow and could not make up their mind where to turn and causes people behind to slam the brakes.

- slow drivers likely to get rear ended most of the time because they don't make smooth turns such as coasting into a turn instead they like to do come to a near complete stop when they turn which is prone to get rear ended by an aggressive driver.

- More chance of being injured in auto accidents such as major pile ups because being stuck in packs

- Are more likely to be involved in head-on collisions due to impatient drivers that often misjudge the car's speed and would jump on a turn

- More likely to suffer neck and back injuries from being hit by bad drivers

- Often I see slow drivers have poor hand wheel position that leads to poor driver control of the car

Fast drivers are:

- Usually more proactive on the road looking for openings and have better road awareness

- Are usually more familiar with the roads, I usually would not go fast unless I know the road really well

- Less likely to be involved in accidents because more distance away from slower traffic. NASCAR pileups happens behind the leader

- Less likely to get hit in the rear because usually ahead of the pack

- Likely to kill others in a collision due to speed

- More likely to survive crashes that involve another car regardless of size difference.

- Are more likely to hit animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times
Sounds about right. Slow drivers tick me off, often I'll shine my spotlight at them or blow my horn.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,571 times
One type gets faster to their destination over the other.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM

758 posts, read 550,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
One type gets faster to their destination over the other.
True. We're all going to the same place--the grave--and one type will probably get there faster.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Courteous drivers in southern California cause all kinds of havoc. It's not expected and causes problems. When everyone drives like it's every man for himself we all can anticipate what the other guy is going to do.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I know this post may infuriates some because of the generalization but a lot of my co-workers agrees with me and we all drive to work

Slower drivers are:

- Less skilled because they are used to being stationary and not being aware of their surroundings. Countless times I see close calls because a slower driver nearly got ran over by a big rig or a bus.

- Are not good at lane changes, often I see a slow driver make the most dangerous lane change which is braking and slowing down before they change lanes which can cause faster traffic behind or near it to slam on the brakes or sometimes just ram into them.

- slow drivers causes the most delays at highway merges. To go or not to go, contemplating about speeding up or just complete stop at the end of the merge causes morning tie ups.

- often inexperienced drivers are slow and could not make up their mind where to turn and causes people behind to slam the brakes.

- slow drivers likely to get rear ended most of the time because they don't make smooth turns such as coasting into a turn instead they like to do come to a near complete stop when they turn which is prone to get rear ended by an aggressive driver.

- More chance of being injured in auto accidents such as major pile ups because being stuck in packs

- Are more likely to be involved in head-on collisions due to impatient drivers that often misjudge the car's speed and would jump on a turn

- Often I see slow drivers have poor hand wheel position that leads to poor driver control of the car

Fast drivers are:

- Usually more proactive on the road looking for openings and have better road awareness

- Are usually more familiar with the roads, I usually would not go fast unless I know the road really well

- Less likely to be involved in accidents because more distance away from slower traffic. NASCAR pileups happens behind the leader

- More likely to survive crashes that involve another car regardless of size difference.

At what speed do you define as a slow driver?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
I have the worst luck when it comes to getting stuck behind slow pokes on the road!!

Seems like I get stuck behind slow moving semi trucks quite often too

Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,045 times
Fast drivers speed off to the next red light and trip it so I don’t have to wait.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Most of your slow driver hazards seem to involve other drivers doing stupid stuff. Can't blame the slowpokes for that.

Your other complaints certainly apply to some but not all slow drivers.

Your theory that fast drivers are more competent is absurd. They just like to go fast, and they're much more likely to cause traffic problems with their greedy cutting in and out.

I drive fast, but I AM competent...

It is every driver's job to be aware of traffic and hazards, including cars going ridiculously slow or stupidly fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Slower drivers are:

Fast drivers are:

Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Slow drivers are fun. As a fast driver, I just pretend I'm in a ski racer competing in the Slalom in the Olympics. Slow drivers are the gates.

(OK, I'm kidding about all of the above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive