Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 05:34 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,577,256 times

Advertisements

https://articles.nj.com/opinion/inde..._obsolesce.amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 PM

^

Quote:
In fact, most of those were on a stretch of Route 1, which has traffic lights. On a stretch of the Garden State Parkway in Union County, exactly zero out of 50 cars surveyed were at or below the speed limit of 55 mph. The average speed was 74.7 mph.

Imagine explaining to a young driver why we have a 55-mph speed limit there.

"Well, you see, back in 1974, some Arab countries didn't like our Mideast policy, so they declared this oil embargo, which ..."
Quote:
It turned out that of 350 drivers who were clocked, a mere 26 were driving at a legal speed.

I'm shocked - but not at the fact that 93 percent of drivers are exceeding the speed limit. I'm shocked that 7 percent actually honored it.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
^
There were a lot of interesting things in that article. Two that stuck out are the Republican State Senator Putting forth a bill to force cities to use engineers to set limits vs the politicians and bureaucrats (for revenue generation). The other was when they talked about the self-driving cars, and if they were all set to sped limit it would result in huge traffic back-ups in already busy roadways.

I don’t know how to copy and paste more than one word at a time on my phone or I’d post excerpts.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Please read today's front page article of the New Jersey Star-Ledger.
I couldn’t pick out what article you’re talking about from the online version.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's amazing that people think that traveling the speed limit will somehow magically keep them safe. If you're going 55 mph and a deer runs infront of you, you'll be able to stop and save Bambi's life. But if you're going 56 mph, you will hit the deer, lose control and die. Talk about black and white thinking.

I speed all the time through deer country, and I have never once come close to hitting a deer. Typically I see the deer on the road up ahead, and quickly slow down. The deer sees me gets scared and runs off. Then I drive below the speed limit for the next mile or so, to make sure there are no more around. Then I go back to my "reckless" speeding.

And yet here, in "deer country", deer don't stand in the road and let you see them. (Pavement is too hot and not enough cover for them.) They jump into the road, sometimes in front of vehicles, sometimes hitting the side of vehicles (we had that happen once but we were driving a very large pickup - the deer was startled and jumped INTO us, not away from us), out of the brush on the side of the roadways. It's common knowledge among locals that this can and does happen and you should drive accordingly.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
In fact, most of those were on a stretch of Route 1, which has traffic lights. On a stretch of the Garden State Parkway in Union County, exactly zero out of 50 cars surveyed were at or below the speed limit of 55 mph. The average speed was 74.7 mph.

"Well, you see, back in 1974, some Arab countries didn't like our Mideast policy, so they declared this oil embargo, which ..."
Quote:
It turned out that of 350 drivers who were clocked, a mere 26 were driving at a legal speed.

I'm shocked - but not at the fact that 93 percent of drivers are exceeding the speed limit. I'm shocked that 7 percent actually honored it.

"But, Moooommmmm, everybody's doing it!" Shouldn't have worked when you were five, REALLY shouldn't be used as an excuse by any reasoning adult these days.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Quote:

Quote:

"But, Moooommmmm, everybody's doing it!" Shouldn't have worked when you were five, REALLY shouldn't be used as an excuse by any reasoning adult these days.
The gist of the article however was not that people should be held accountable, it was that current speed limit laws are outdated. Apparently everyone IS doing it.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Important part.

Quote:
"Right now, virtually 100 percent of drivers on our limited-access highways are breaking the law," O'Scanlon said. "Either they are all reckless, homicidal maniacs, or our method of setting speed limits is seriously flawed."
So the answer is, virtually 100 percent of drivers do not obey the speed limit, because the speed limit is seriously flawed. If you are not in the virtually 100 percent, then it is your driving that is flawed, like the flawed revenue generating speed limits. You are the problem, not us.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 AM

It should be at about this point in the thread who actually has valuable traffic insight, usually from experienced drivers, and who is in an armchair and simply pounds the desk, dug in to enforcing their will and opinion without any kind of context or open mind to the opposing side (common sense ) the amusing posts come from the latter. The "dictator" types.

Even MOST not all police know the limits are too low. at least state police. They regularly cut people a break and write tickets for less than what the gun clicked it at, if one still hasn't figured out how NOT to get a ticket MOST of the time, which is.. To drive the same speed as everyone else in the road, in a sensible manner, not being the fastest.

Even MOST not all COURTS know this, this is why they offer pleas.

You could learn a lot from a NJ driver. Upstate NY there are stretches of toad you could do 110 plus for like 5 minutes and if there aren't cops (there usually are not) then seriously who cares. (Done it. No radio reception. Oooo)

Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,950,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Quote:

Quote:

This isn't taking a puff of weed, a swig of beer, or any other type of teenage peer pressure activity we're talking about here. If your "high-and-mighty" attitude makes you drive 20 mph under the average speed on the highway, no matter what the speed limit is, you are a danger to other drivers and don't belong behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive