Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 04:24 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Inner city driving, like parkway and the like,5 mph over the limit is the norm. On the freeways,big 4 lane highways, 10 to 12 mph over the limit should be a safe pace.

In traffic, wet weather, drivers need to slow it down. The speed limit is usually obey strictly in bad weather condition.

The dangerous ones are the slowpokes and zig and zig bunch. Can't stand tailgating, nor the folks who won't budge from the fast lane.
that is sensible advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Exaggerate much?

90% of signs outdated?

Suggested speed limits are wrong because your car brakes better? There are all types of vehicles on the road if you didn't notice. Trucks and older vehicles that don't have your great braking system.

75 EVERYWHERE? Even in congested urban areas? Even if it's 75, people will go 85 or 90.

Minimum speed of 60? Who is going to enforce that? We can't even get the police to enforce people who go over the speed limit.

The accident you saw, you are just assuming that it was caused by a slow driver. Maybe the faster driver was distracted and lost control due to their speed perhaps?

Most studies show that speeding causes about a third of all accidents. Also the amount of the speed is what causes more fatalities, since higher velocity objects collide with greater force. So the faster you go, the higher risk you have of becoming hamburger meat.

Traffic deaths had been decreasing through 2014, then started going back up (+5k), even as cars are supposed to be handling and braking better as you said. 37,000 deaths in 2016, over 9,000 caused by speeding.

If you want to risk your life, by all means go for it. Just remember that there are others on the road that have lives as well and would like to keep them.
My son is a police officer, when we get on these discussions, he always makes the comment, "When people get in their cars today, they become someone else, entitled nasty drivers who care nothing about others". He says people just instantly change into violent know it all's.

reason why highways and interstates aren't patrolled as much any more, is because there are just not enough police to go around....actually when I do drive interstate, I see more police then on our local highways....people do slow down when they see cops sitting aside of the road....

I believe it's the entitlement attitude of people...they just feel it's ok to speed....and the pileups on interstates are horrible...they are constantly asking people to slow down and yet, they don't....crazy.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
17 pages in and no one has recognized the fundamental problem in the United States: instead of trying to produce better drivers, we pursue the policy of trying to design roads and traffic signs in such a way that even the most incompetent driver cannot hurt someone or himself. It can't be done. Bad drivers will hurt people if you set the speed limit to 15 mph and arrange the roads into three-car wide lane, lined with styrofoam bumper pads.

We turned driving into a right. Do you know anyone who pursued a driver's license who didn't get one in the end? Our standards stink. Our driver's ed instruction stinks.

We won't change those things because that's the tougher thing to do rather than manipulating speed limits, creating more road furniture, installing green arrows everywhere and so forth.
^^^^^
THIS, Yes, absolutely Yes.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:25 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Two things about this.

Two, when they ARE not visible, so you don't know if they are there are not, for people with more than two brain cells to rub together, knowing that they MIGHT be there is enough to override the addiction to speed. For those who can't control that addiction, well, it's the price of their drug of choice. If only they wouldn't whine so much about it and expect everyone else to be responsible for their habit.
He wasn’t whining abou5 that. He was whining about the government’s (he blamed cops, but I blame their superiors) addiction to generating revenue rather than “serving and protecting” like is printed on many cop cars.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM

boy, when it comes to driving I see an entire different society out there, doing things they shouldn't be doing...

1. Running Red lights
2. driving and texting
3. Tail gating ( a real pet peeve) and so so many do this?????
4. When they come to a stop at a light, they drive over the lines, which are painted there to remind one, that if a truck has to make a turn, they are back far enough, to allow the driver to do so.
5. Rolling thru a stop sign instead of stopping

Very careless driving, you really are forced to drive defensively.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Another example, if cops really believed that speeding is dangerous, they would park their cars out in the open, where everybody on the road would see them and immediately slow down. But slowing drivers down is not their true goal. They want drivers to speed, so they can collect revenue from it. So they hide under a bridge where nobody can see them, and then they can pick out whatever car they want to collecting revenue from. Everything cops do is to collect the most revenue possible in the shortest amount of time.
No doubt that tickets are a huge source of revenue for the state. So not only does speeding increase the chances of handing over your hard earned cash to the "revenue generators", it also increases your risk of crashing and/or a fatality. I prefer not to hand over my money or die, so I try to never speed excessively, which is what we should all be concerned about.

I agree that cops are sneaky. Not only do they hide, but they also hide the markings on their vehicles or drive cars that are not typically known as police vehicles.

Best thing to do is to slow down and not give them an opportunity to pull you over.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Everyone has to be in a hurry, have to be in a rush, rush. In the morning, try getting up out of bed a little earlier, instead of going 75+ and weaving in and out of traffic, endangering others peoples lives, just so you can get to work on time. Slow down and enjoy the journey, smell the roses. Nope, ran over them at 75 and crushed them!
When I'm driving the highway, or an interstate I will do 5 miles over the speed limit at times...not all the time, but a lot, and I've got people passing me like crazy....man they move...where I live, there are always accidents...you hear the fire whistle going off all the time...People, are careless drivers any more....not everyone of course, but they surely don't give a damn about anyone else....it's all about them....

Around here on the interstates, when we have bad weather, we have tons of pileups, and people injured or killed, b/c they are just going way to fast, they can't see, and all of a sudden, traffic is stopped and they cannot stop.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Just stay in the right lane and all will be well.
This. End of thread.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The speed limits are outdated, the faster you drive the faster the people behind you can drive. In LA there are so many drivers my guess if everyone drove slightly faster there would be a little less traffic.

So your theory is that higher speed somehow reduces the number of vehicles on the road? How do you figure that?

Old 08-03-2018, 07:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
He wasn’t whining abou5 that. He was whining about the government’s (he blamed cops, but I blame their superiors) addiction to generating revenue rather than “serving and protecting” like is printed on many cop cars.

Nope, he was whining about there being consequences to his deliberately chosen actions and trying to blame anyone but himself. Been reading him doing that for seems like years now.

As I've said, anyone who claims that traffic laws are all about revenue generation has outed themselves as someone who thinks there should be no consequences to their flouting of the law because they are so special that the law shouldn't apply to them, and as someone who makes excuses and if there ARE consequences blames anyone but themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive