Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 11:36 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
YOU may not care about 1-2 mpg, but when every car gets 1-2 mpg better, the entire country saves MILLIONS of gallons of gas per year. And that translates to MILLIONS of barrels of oil not used. When every car sold gets another 2 or more mpg from all the tech, we have to import less oil and can be more self sufficient. That's a net benefit to everyone, even to national security. That's why CAFE is important to the US as a whole.

This is also why electric cars are important, Not so much to "save the environment" but to save on importing oil and to reduce reliance on foreign governments. The less we use, the less we import.
Reducing miles driven would have a much larger impact than eking out a few more mpg. Public policy should encourage more telecommuting, living closer to work and shopping, and better transit and bike options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Reducing miles driven would have a much larger impact than eking out a few more mpg. Public policy should encourage more telecommuting, living closer to work and shopping, and better transit and bike options.

Those are happening TOO. You do realize that more than one step toward the goal can be taken at the same time.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
German cars are not special. In fact, they are inferior in many ways, reliability being the main one.
Expectations have changed.

My German Passat (2010) is passing 120K and I just did the brakes for the first time at 100K. Other than that, only $500 in repairs (other than tires, oil, ,etc.)...

It runs almost as new. Perfect comfort and driving. Every system works.

A few decades back I always tried to sell my cars before 90K to avoid potential problems.

It's only due the amazing Japanese quality and reliability that the Germans have taken 2nd place. I'm still scared to buy an American car...although I have had plenty of such in trucks and vans...

It was rare 2+ decades back to have a car be 100% reliable for 120K+ - now it is commonplace.

I did have a bad experience with a first year model Mercedes. Horrible. I think it takes the Germans a few years to get the bugs out of their brand new models.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:11 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Except I can empirically prove I am correct. You can't. For the record, I don't own a minivan. In fact, one of my vehicles is a 2018 full-sized pickup. I use it for its intended purpose - as a pickup - not a daily driver.
How can you prove you're correct?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:11 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
The main opinion I have that is unpopular around here is that a good car is something that doesn't cost too much money, reliably gets you where you want to go, and lasts for a long time. Expressing that opinion around here gets you mocked as an "appliance" driver.

Also, that you should make a car last as long as possible, way beyond the time your loan is paid off.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:13 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
For most families a minivan is the most functional and practical vehicle you can own.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Detroit 3 is plagued by many problems, the number one being the UAW.
I'd say it was the management suite - and what they demand in terms of (lack of) innovation. German carmakers have strong Unions...and a German automaker employee costs much more than an American one (union or not).

Yet they have made cars that sell well. My Union Made German Passat was 28K loaded. Your Japanese Lexus or Toyota includes universal health care and Unions and are one-income families that can afford to live in a middle class fashion....

When the UAW designs cars then they will share the blame. But it's the American problem of lack of innovation that has killed all our automakers.

Strangely enough, we taught Japan and Korea how to do it all right...they have unions and health care and retirement money and everything else, but we don't.....

Maybe, just maybe, you can turn this problem on its ear. You'd need decent management, patient stockholders and well-paid happy workers to produce a decent product for the long term.

Seems obvious...but I guess it is not. The UAW didn't design the Cruze.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The main opinion I have that is unpopular around here is that a good car is something that doesn't cost too much money, reliably gets you where you want to go, and lasts for a long time. Expressing that opinion around here gets you mocked as an "appliance" driver.

Also, that you should make a car last as long as possible, way beyond the time your loan is paid off.
I think most people are appliance drivers.

But cars are the type of thing Freud would have been very interested in...that is, an extension of the ego for many. It's a way to both parade to others and to yourself "who you are"...even tho it has nothing to do with either.

When you take a couple steps back - and think about it....the same car I drive (basically) with the Audi nameplate and some additional trim, etc. is 15-20K more. I'm well-off, but just could not bring myself to spend 20K for "trim" and then have the "luxury" of paying more for parts and services....forever!

For the very well off (worth millions) it's just a decision and perhaps a bad one. For anyone who is paying stuff off or has other needs (kids to send to college, financial security and much more), it borders on the irresponsible or insane.

Take the "cool car" factor out and it's like a college student who works on the side for $10. an hour going out to $150 dinners. Not smart. Not even in the ballpark.

Marketing is incredibly powerful. People are made to feel that if they buy that convertible or fancy car...suddenly, they will be driving alone down a two lane winding road with fall colors.

The truth is....we bought a convertible once...you end up sucking in fumes and sitting in traffic (with most any car). I drove all the way from New England to Florida and - at all times - there were cars in front of me, behind me and in the other lanes.

Since I do have the $$, I try to go somewhere in the middle. I'll spend 30K on a Honda Hybrid this fall. I've been in the energy biz my entire life and I have a feeling that we will see much higher fuel prices in the next few years...and getting 2X the MPG will certainly help.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:50 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think most people are appliance drivers.

But cars are the type of thing Freud would have been very interested in...that is, an extension of the ego for many. It's a way to both parade to others and to yourself "who you are"...even tho it has nothing to do with either.

As a car guy, I beg to differ, it's as much you as your hair cut or the clothes you choose to wear. And for those of us that like kinetic sculpture, it's as much about the aesthetics as anything. And then there's the g forces of a performance car adding the fun factor to the drive.

Quote:
Marketing is incredibly powerful. People are made to feel that if they buy that convertible or fancy car...suddenly, they will be driving alone down a two lane winding road with fall colors.

This is me and my wife on a regular basis. We have a BMW 330ci ZHP convertible and the top is down as long as it isn't raining or snowing, and we go on roads like this on a regular basis:

I just spent a week in eastern TN and drove all sorts of twisty fun mountain roads. Saturday in the sun we went out and enjoyed the roads in the convertible, and Sunday when it was raining we took my Volt. Big difference in the experience. I love the Volt, but I'd rather have had nice weather and the convertible.

Quote:
The truth is....we bought a convertible once...you end up sucking in fumes and sitting in traffic (with most any car). I drove all the way from New England to Florida and - at all times - there were cars in front of me, behind me and in the other lanes.

Again, I've had numerous convertibles and sports cars over the decades, and have never had an issue "sucking in fumes" or dealing with traffic. Much of the time I spend on rural backroads with the top down and the sights and smells of the world around me. But even in town or on the interstate it's not a problem.

Like most things, you get out what you put in and if you are an appliance mentality person, you only get that back out of whatever you do.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'd say it was the management suite - and what they demand in terms of (lack of) innovation. German carmakers have strong Unions...and a German automaker employee costs much more than an American one (union or not).

Yet they have made cars that sell well. My Union Made German Passat was 28K loaded. Your Japanese Lexus or Toyota includes universal health care and Unions and are one-income families that can afford to live in a middle class fashion....

When the UAW designs cars then they will share the blame. But it's the American problem of lack of innovation that has killed all our automakers.

Strangely enough, we taught Japan and Korea how to do it all right...they have unions and health care and retirement money and everything else, but we don't.....

Maybe, just maybe, you can turn this problem on its ear. You'd need decent management, patient stockholders and well-paid happy workers to produce a decent product for the long term.

Seems obvious...but I guess it is not. The UAW didn't design the Cruze.
Actually, a lot of innovations are developed for US cars, maybe even implements in a model or two for year or two and then dropped. Them Mercedes picks up the idea , runs with it and is lauded for their astounding innovation.

We are becoming like the British. We come up with fabulous ideas, implement them poorly (or implement them well but manage them poorly) then someone else turns them into a thing. GM seems to be the worst for this. Many of the coolest Mercedes innovations were simply stolen from GM after Gm made a paltry effort to employ them in their cars (Night vision heads up displays for example which was a GM technology developed for the US military then put in a few caddies for a year or two and dropped. Mercedes took it and ran with it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive