Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 10:20 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Um, nope, ...they are for
someone drinking a beer, adjusting the stereo, lighting a cigarette, while rolling down the window.
you can do all of the above well and good while shifting a stick. Let's not be lazy now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Trucks that weigh over 5000 lbs should be taxed as a heavy duty vehicle.
What? Why?

That is pretty much all trucks. My RAM 1500 weighs 5500 dry.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

You really don't NEED to when you start every day with a "full tank" at home. You can't do that with a gasoline car unless you have a refinery in your back yard.

Sure you can - you simply drive around the corner and spend two minutes at a gas station. And that's if you need a full tank - meaning a range of 400 miles.

You can drive a Tesla coast to coast. How much farther do you need to drive on a regular basis? Hell you're retired. I doubt you go many places on a regular basis anyhow. Again, most people drive less than 40 miles a day. If you drive farther regularly, you either need to move closer to work or simply choose a different mode of transportation than an EV. Pretty ****ing simple.

You're not the first person to make this claim but none of you have been honest enough to admit that it will take much longer in the EV. If a gasoline powered car and an EV both left New York on a Monday and drove directly to San Francisco at 70 MPH with the AC and the radio on and each was required to stop for a minimum of ten hours per day for refueling, eating and sleeping, how much longer would it take the EV to arrive?

Show me on the bear where the bad EV touched you... Your hatred of them is borderline psychotic (as is the vitriol with which you insult them).

Simply characterizing one's opinion as "hatred" is inaccurate and diminishes your own argument - please deal with facts.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:34 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sure you can - you simply drive around the corner and spend two minutes at a gas station. And that's if you need a full tank - meaning a range of 400 miles.

Stopping at a gas station that MAY NOT be "around the corner" is an inconvenience, and a smelly one at that. And you have to plan for it. Again, when driving under 40 miles a day, why carry around the extra capacity? You don't need 400 miles a day unless you're an outlier. You want to deal with facts, that's a fact.

Quote:
You're not the first person to make this claim but none of you have been honest enough to admit that it will take much longer in the EV. If a gasoline powered car and an EV both left New York on a Monday and drove directly to San Francisco at 70 MPH with the AC and the radio on and each was required to stop for a minimum of ten hours per day for refueling, eating and sleeping, how much longer would it take the EV to arrive?

if you're driving more than 8 hours in a day, your driving tired and your dangerous. The EV would take approx. 3 hours longer to arrive over a 4 day period because you refuel while eating AND sleeping. I've driven acorss the country and 8 hours was about as long as you should be driving. That means that you have more than 10 hours to refuel, eat, and sleep. You're talking about 14 hours of driving at a stretch and that's not safe.

Stopping every 4 hours (250 miles) for 30 minutes in a Tesla is not onerous on your trip time. It's just not. Sorry.

Quote:
Simply characterizing one's opinion as "hatred" is inaccurate and diminishes your own argument - please deal with facts.

Did you READ the posts in this thread that are anti-EV? And the part that I was responding to? He is CONSTANTLY insulting EVs, as is V8 Vega (and that poster has been doing it for YEARS). Hatred is a mild term for what they are doing, and that IS a fact. So excuse me if I don't share your position on them.

I like gas cars and I like EVs. It's not that damn hard to do. I've defended pickups, sports cars, sport sedans, and SUVs in various threads insulting them. Insulting us for being "tree huggers" is not fact based either, but since you agree with them it's obvious YOU can't see anything wrong with insulting EVs an EV owners, either, So no, I don't think I can agree with your position and will continue to defend EVs against the ignorance and yes, HATRED from ICE owners like easy62 and V8 Vega.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Gm had a electric car in 1996 to 1999 it never sold so they quit making it.
Truth behind the EV1 is that the people who were allowed to lease them really, really loved them, but it was a car that GM didn't think produced good enough margins, so shortly after the EV1 program was launched in the real world, it was crushed by the bean counters at the company. Literally. Despite very happy EV1 owners begging GM to be allowed to buy out the leases on their electric cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

I'm rather indifferent on electric cars- don't hate them but they don't sync well with our current driving needs. It's going to take a 600 mile range (yes, we do a lot of road trips) and a 15 minute full charge at a station available pretty much anywhere we want to be before we bite.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Trucks that weigh over 5000 lbs should be taxed as a heavy duty vehicle.
There are cars out there that weight 5000+ lbs as well.
Sounds like you just hate trucks.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Stopping at a gas station that MAY NOT be "around the corner" is an inconvenience, and a smelly one at that. And you have to plan for it. Again, when driving under 40 miles a day, why carry around the extra capacity? You don't need 400 miles a day unless you're an outlier. You want to deal with facts, that's a fact.

if you're driving more than 8 hours in a day, your driving tired and your dangerous. The EV would take approx. 3 hours longer to arrive over a 4 day period because you refuel while eating AND sleeping. I've driven acorss the country and 8 hours was about as long as you should be driving. That means that you have more than 10 hours to refuel, eat, and sleep. You're talking about 14 hours of driving at a stretch and that's not safe.

Stopping every 4 hours (250 miles) for 30 minutes in a Tesla is not onerous on your trip time. It's just not. Sorry.

Did you READ the posts in this thread that are anti-EV? And the part that I was responding to? He is CONSTANTLY insulting EVs, as is V8 Vega (and that poster has been doing it for YEARS). Hatred is a mild term for what they are doing, and that IS a fact. So excuse me if I don't share your position on them.

I like gas cars and I like EVs. It's not that damn hard to do. I've defended pickups, sports cars, sport sedans, and SUVs in various threads insulting them. Insulting us for being "tree huggers" is not fact based either, but since you agree with them it's obvious YOU can't see anything wrong with insulting EVs an EV owners, either, So no, I don't think I can agree with your position and will continue to defend EVs against the ignorance and yes, HATRED from ICE owners like easy62 and V8 Vega.
You cannot use your own self-established rules of safety to decide what is the right amount of time to drive daily to attempt to prove your point about EV's. Selecting a route based on availability of gasoline is a necessity that in the US generally requires little attention; doing so with regard to charging stations, not so much. Perhaps someone with an EV can actually use their trip planning capability to show an actual route and the availability of charging locations between NY and San Francisco and develop a genuine time for the trip.

And simply labeling a participant's remarks that you disagree with as hat, or even just insulting does not make that "a fact;" choose to disregard them if you wish but an impartial observer would not discard them so easily.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
The two Ford products we've owned have been disappointing. The van ate tires and the Focus, which we still own, is a huge rattle bucket. Its electric windows, stereo and clock have all malfunctioned...Its engine has been dependable, though.

Wish it were much quiet(er) like our Honda is...

Old 07-27-2018, 04:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Toyota quality is overrated. I owned two of them. They were not bad quality, just not the paragons that some consider them.
Toyotas are crap. European cars are better.

I owned one Toyota and came noyne days away from lemoning it.

I rented a Toyota recently. It was impossible to defog the windows. Every European care I have owned, you put on the AC when you sign the lease and return the car with the windows having never fogged.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Remember that Japanese and European automakers don't have to provide health care for their workers --
the government pays for health care.

In contrast to Ford and GM spending more on health care than on steel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive