Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times

Advertisements

[quote=kokonutty;52639555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

What about those men who drive a VW bug with those fake eyelashes on the headlights?
They are taking their female friends VW bug to get their eyelashes trimmed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:16 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Cars' reliability, like human health, is largely based upon the inherent build quality, analogous to our genetics. I see too many posters in auto threads talk about how they've "performed proper maintenance and never been stranded" when contributing to someone's OP about a lemon.

Let me clear this up for you:

The vast, vast majority of repeat, difficult-to-diagnose car issues surfacing relatively early in the car's lifetime are due to manufacturing defects, most often causing a host of electrical issues or a "lifetime" part failing at 25% of its designed life, which no one really wants to, or knows how to troubleshoot. This leads the shop on a wild goose chase, frivolously replacing both related and unrelated parts until the issue no longer occurs.

Following the maintenance schedule will guide the operator on fluid changes, tire rotations, and spark plug replacement, but...

No amount of oil changes will stop your oil pump from failing at 30,000 miles if the part itself is defective (1st gen Dodge Durango issue).

No amount of tire rotations will stop your ball joints - with no grease fittings, mind you - prematurely failing at 60k (another 1st gen Dodge Durango issue).

No amount of spark plug changes will prevent your coil pack from melting, setting off a chain reaction which takes down all ignition to all cylinders in a matters of seconds while you scratch your head after your engine instantly dies on the interstate. (1st gen Mopar Hemi issue)
+++++

Absolutely. Some cars are just designed/engineered/built wrong from the factory.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Mazda5 was one of the best cars ever

Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,618 times
I hate console shifts.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:34 AM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Many people have to high an opinion of Honda and Toyota, my son included. Good cars, but not as great as many think.
I recently rented a 4 Runner for a long trip, was surprised at how poorly the dash/steering controls were designed.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,414,705 times
I always thought the Mazda RX models, the RX8 on, had a nice body style. I would of had one, if it wasnt for the rotary engine that came in them. had they put something different in them, there's no telling how many they would of sold.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I hate console shifts.
I prefer console shifters over column shifters.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:31 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I hate console shifts.
Me too.......a waste of prime storage space.....much better up on the steering column out of the way.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:28 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I prefer console shifters over column shifters.
You mean an automatic transmission right, for a minute i thought you were taking about a manual transmission with a column shifter the old 3 on the tree i loved driving those back in my day, drove a Ford Maverick with a 3 ton n the tree it was a fun car to drive.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You got that all wrong my friend it was poor management at the top that got them in trouble, while GM, and Chrysler rank and file workers were busting their butts on the line the CEOs were collecting their million dollar salary along wit with the rest of the board members. And when the CEO’s were ridding in their million dollar private company jets to go play a golf game while the company was in trouble and then trying to hide the fact that GM was building vehicles with dangerous ignition switches that the top executives tried to cover up. And everyone wants to blame the guy on the line for just trying to make a middle class living but no they should be paid min wage while the big CEO’s should still get millions and their golden parachutes. Enough of the Union bashing it’s getting pretty old so sorry that some on here hate unions for getting their members a decent living wage. The UAW is never going away same as the Teamsters, and the AFL–CIO. And FYI Labor Day was started by unions so when you get the day off with pay say thanks to a union member.

GM and Chrysler won't go broke paying executive salaries.

They've declared bankruptcy because they cannot pay the salary and retirement benefits promised to the unions.

Yes, I'll take my paid day off on Labor Day, just as I do for MLK Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive