Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:08 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I understand how it's supposed to work, but I still think it's stupid and not intuitive. If I want to turn left I'm supposed to get in the inside lane, drive around the circle and then turn across the outside lane to exit, and hope no one is in that lane?

Nope, not going to do it. The exits are on the outside, so I'm going to stay in the outside lane and ride it around to wherever I'm getting off, no matter which exit it is. I will never get in the inside lane of a multi-lane roundabout if I can help it.

And just for good measure, I think I'll start coming to a complete stop before entering roundabouts from now on, regardless of whether there are any vehicles in it or not. Only after making sure there are no vehicles either in the roundabout or approaching it from any other direction will I proceed.
The problem arises when you enter from the outside lane alongside or slightly in front of another vehicle on the inside lane. The vehicle on the inside lane may want to go straight through the intersection. By choosing to be in the wrong lane you now have to cross their path. But yeah, if you can't figure out how to use a round-about it's better to just stop and hold up traffic than cause an accident. Just be sure to look behind you as well and make sure there's no cars coming up on the inside lane. Since you're using it wrong, you need to yield to those vehicles coming up behind you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:35 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
I don't need any education. I know how the people who designed and installed them intend for them to work. I'm just not going to do it that way.
Imagine if every driver picked and chose which traffic rules they wanted to follow or ignore.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:53 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
I understand how it's supposed to work, but I still think it's stupid and not intuitive. If I want to turn left I'm supposed to get in the inside lane, drive around the circle and then turn across the outside lane to exit, and hope no one is in that lane?

Nope, not going to do it. The exits are on the outside, so I'm going to stay in the outside lane and ride it around to wherever I'm getting off, no matter which exit it is. I will never get in the inside lane of a multi-lane roundabout if I can help it.

And just for good measure, I think I'll start coming to a complete stop before entering roundabouts from now on, regardless of whether there are any vehicles in it or not. Only after making sure there are no vehicles either in the roundabout or approaching it from any other direction will I proceed.
So rather than learn how to do it properly and then do it that way, you're going to chose to remain ignorant and do it illegally, putting people in danger? Seems like a good plan. I hope you're never driving in my town since we have a ton of these.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I think the most likely accident waiting to happen is:

1) A car coming in from the right that wants to go straight across to the left....has to navigate between the blue car going north to south....AND the inner roundabout RED car that is going straight, north to south.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Single lane roundabouts decrease crashes by 18%

Double lane roundabouts decrease serious injury crashes by 16% but they increase total crashes by 62%

https://repository.asu.edu/attachmen...010N_15713.pdf

Science says they're bad

Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok.. So.. This image.

Keep the blue and red cars coming from the bottom, the red car at the bottom goes right..

Now.. Say that there is a blue car that enters from the top (outside lane) and is driving slower than the red.. Whatever.. the red car catches up to them and is going to the left(From his original perspective), but the blue car that enters from the top is going straight through.

What am I missing here? There HAS to be something more to this that I'm not catching here, because this seems to be designed to cause carnage.

Is the blue car entering from the top, even though they are in the outside lane, supposed to wait until all traffic in all lanes is clear before entering?

this would make sense, and the road markings seem to indicate that the right lane MUST turn right.. But allowing that lane to go straight.. I don't see how this works.

The car coming in from 6:00 o'clock has to drive half-way around the circle before he gets to the car coming in at 12:00 o'clock. The car entering at 12:00 o'clock needs only to cross two lanes to be out of the way of any car who wants the 9:00 o'clock exit. Even at a walking pace, he should be able to do that before the 6:00 o'clock car comes around! The only way the 6:00 o'clock car is catching up to him is if he stalls out!

Edited to add: Here's a street view image from an actual rotary that I use several times per week. https://goo.gl/maps/oqnakTmmYAn

Last edited by CoastalMaineiac; 09-04-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 08:57 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Single lane roundabouts decrease crashes by 18%

Double lane roundabouts decrease serious injury crashes by 16% but they increase total crashes by 62%

https://repository.asu.edu/attachmen...010N_15713.pdf

Science says they're bad
I don't know that decreasing serious injury crashes is a bad thing.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:

So you think it is stupid and counter-intuitive to make left-hand turns from the left-hand lane? You need to surrender your driver's license; you are a menace to everyone else on the road if you actually drive this way! If there are multiple-lane exits, the driver exiting the roundabout from the inside lane is not the one crossing over lanes, the driver on the outside lane trying to keep driving around the circle is the one crossing over lanes. The right lane in that case is an exit only lane. The left lane has the option of exiting or continuing around.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The fact that it takes pages to try to explain how these are supposed to work shows what a stupid design it is.

https://www.theindychannel.com/traff...ase-in-crashes

No, it shows how stupid most people are that they can't just understand it intuitively.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
What do you mean the lanes are marked?

There is writing in each lane going into the multi lane roundabout showing the name of the exit street it corresponds to? No. There isn't.

I don't know how I can explain this any clearer.

Imagine yourself driving into a roundabout.

Imagine you need to go onto Peterson street.

Imagine you do not know whether Peterson is the first right, the second right, or the third right.

You do not have an overhead view of the roundabout.

How do you know which lane to be in?

You get in the far left lane and circle around until you figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive