Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Compact Hatchback?
Subaru Impreza 13 20.97%
Toyota Corolla 8 12.90%
Honda Civic 6 9.68%
Mazda 3 11 17.74%
VW Golf 14 22.58%
Chevy Cruze 4 6.45%
Ford Focus 2 3.23%
Hyundai Elantra 3 4.84%
Kia Forte 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My garage is tight, so if possible I really don't want to go up in size at all. (a couple of inches if that, wide or high)

Would any of you recommend any of the cars on the OP's list? (sluggish acceleration not an option)

Thanks.

That's how I ended up with a GTI back in 2001. I had a miniature 1 car garage with a tight 90 degree turn into the driveway. That was the biggest car that would fit. I'm 6'2". I fit in a GTI where I didn't in most other compact cars of that vintage.

VW has pretty much always owned the 'hot hatch' space. That's going to make any list of cars you should be test driving. With the 170 hp 1.8t in the Golf, I'd start there. My 2001 GTI 1.8t had 180 hp and it was plenty peppy before re-flashing the ECU with the APR software. A 170 hp Golf should be fine if you're OK with the interior and suspension. The GTI tends to have a better seat and stiffer suspension. I haven't sat in a new one to know what I'd be giving up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Do a Google search: CVT transmission problems.

Wouldn't get any with a CVT transmission at this time.

And yes, some folks state that they are great and trouble free.

Also, skip any that have a timing belt. Very costly to replace during normal maintenance. Get a timing chain engine.

And yes, some folks state that they are great and trouble fee.
^^This is very good advice. CVT transmissions are junk. Don't let anybody talk you into believing one of the brands have a CVT that is reliable, they are all junk.

I also agree with making sure the engine has a timing chain not a belt. Timing belts require regular replacement as part of the maintenance and it is costly. Timing chains do not require maintenance and last the life of the engine.

I would not buy any car from any of the US manufacturers at this time. Ford, GM and Chrysler are back to building slapped together unreliable junk plagued with problems. Chrysler in particular is the worst as usual.

My advice to the OP would be to stick with Toyota. Toyota is one of the very few manufacturers that consistently stays at the top of the reliability ratings. They will statistically be your best bet by far.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
I'm finding this thread very interesting.

Although I dread the day and pray it never comes -- I guess at some point I'll have to replace my beloved -- Acura RSX sporty-looking hatchback coupe.

My garage is tight, so if possible I really don't want to go up in size at all. (a couple of inches if that, wide or high)

Would any of you recommend any of the cars on the OP's list? (sluggish acceleration not an option)

Thanks.
I owned a 2002 Acura RSX Type S. I would look at both the VW GTI(or a tuned Golf) and the Forte5 SX as very worthwhile upgrades having owned those as well. Though I did go out an immediately get a rear sway bar for the Forte5 which helped with the handling immensely.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:30 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Has there been a bad reputation regarding cars built in Mexico? Does it negatively effect reliability in general.
No, as a general rule, vehicles built in Mexico are not any less reliable than those built in the USA, Canada, Germany, Japan, or anywhere else, but that does not prevent people from espousing their prejudiced views.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:36 PM

According to a VW tech in one of the groups I'm in the Mexico built models actually have fewer warranty repairs than the German built ones.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:48 PM

569 posts, read 440,162 times
I drive an Elantra GT hatchback. I love that it had all the options I wanted and is spacious inside. I have navigation, leather seats, the panoramic sunroof, and the 17" alloy wheels. I also have manual 6 speed. I like a lot of options but wish it had better get up and go. It's ok but wish it was a bit peppier. I have a hard time finding the luxury features I like combined with manual transmission which is typically only on basic models and this fit the bill.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I would look at both the VW GTI(or a tuned Golf) and the Forte5 SX as very worthwhile upgrades having owned those as well. Though I did go out an immediately get a rear sway bar for the Forte5 which helped with the handling immensely.
Anything sporty 2-doors with a hatch to suggest -- like the Acura RSX.

I'm hoping for more a coupe with hatch style, not a wagon-like look.
Like perhaps a Hyundai Genesis or Honda Si Coupe only with a hatch.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Anything sporty 2-doors with a hatch to suggest -- like the Acura RSX.

I'm hoping for more a coupe with hatch style, not a wagon-like look.
Like perhaps a Hyundai Genesis or Honda Si Coupe only with a hatch.
The RSX was never particularly sporty looking really. Could get a 2 door Golf/GTI in prior years. But you want more of a reasonably priced fastback look basically? Veloster and Stinger are all that really come to mind in current offerings.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:12 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Thinking of replacing my 03 Camry soon. I think I'm leaning towards a hatchback, I like the look of them and the added utility. Which do you think is the best hatchback? Personally I like vehicles with respectable driving dynamics good fuel economy and a decent amount of features for the price.
Hi, there! I recently purchased a 2018 Mazda 3 hatch (Sport) with the intention of replacing my 2005 Nissan Sentra. So far, I've only put around five hundred mostly highway miles on the car, but I've been quite pleased with the purchase.

Pros: The acceleration is rather good, the car corners well and, despite a high belt line, rear visibility without using the back up camera is far better than I had expected. (I did, of course test drive the vehicle more than once, but the true test came when I backed the car down the steep driveway into the below-grade garage when I brought her home.) Even during the break in period, the car's gas usage is comparable to that of my Sentra when allowing the the extra weight of the Mazda. The sound system is better than what I'm used to; I like the fact that there are physical knobs and buttons to use in addition to the touchscreen and the controls on the steering wheel. The head up display is at a good viewing height for me. If you want a red car, spring for the extra $300 dollars it'll cost you to get a car in one of the most beautiful shades of red on the road. I did and don't regret it.

Cons: The defogger sucks (This might be user error. I just haven't had a chance to check the owner's manual to see if I can trouble shoot this for myself.) The OEM tires are so-so (par for the course) and will be replaced in short order with higher quality all-seasons (and winter tires once I decide to sell the Sentra). Certain little things that I took for granted in my base level Nissan such as a built-in sunglasses holder and extra charging ports were only available on a higher trim level than the Sport version that I purchased; I miss having extra cubbies for stuff like loose change, pens, etc. (I knew this going in--it just wasn't worth the extra cash to get these things.) The cabin noise, while better than that of my Nissan, is still greater than I'd noticed on the initial test drives. (Not a big thing in the grand scheme of things). The head up display is going to be a dust catcher, but I can live with that.

I'll also add that, while this isn't a problem with the car, per se, after taking the car on a back road trip through the winding hills of western Pennsylvania, I almost wish that I'd talked myself into getting the manual version of the car as this is a fun little car to drive--especially in sport mode.

Like a previous poster noted, I also required a car that would easily fit into a garage with a narrow entrance. I knew from parking my mother's car in the garage that there was no way that anything wider than a Ford Fusion was going to fit. The Mazda's a bit wider than the Sentra, but the hatchback fits easily through the doorway.

A Volkswagen Golf had been in the final running, but at the end of the day, I didn't want to tie up that much cash into a car.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Thinking of replacing my 03 Camry soon. I think I'm leaning towards a hatchback, I like the look of them and the added utility. Which do you think is the best hatchback? Personally I like vehicles with respectable driving dynamics good fuel economy and a decent amount of features for the price.
The Honda Civic gets just 5 votes on this forum but is a Car and Driver's Ten Best for 2018, sounds about right. Apparently consideration of reliability and holding value are afterthoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive