Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are there more people then ever before driving past stopped school buses with stop signs extended then ever before? Recent news stories brought this to mind of three siblings killed and a fourth child severely injured. Have you ever intentionally done this? Why so many more today than in decades past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 11:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
You would need some numbers to determine if this is happening more today than the past.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Could be a sort of perfect storm combination of media sensitivity (one sad story makes news agencies hyper vigilant to dig up others), news report viewer attention, time of year (right now it's getting darker right when kids are walking to and from bus stops), compounded by the other reasons for people already driving distracted. Obviously haven't done the research, but I suspect you'd find that there was a rash of accidents at around this time in past years.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:31 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I don't know if there are more people passing buses with their lights on while unloading kids today but what really bothers me is how many kids I see that are relying on either the bus driver or the lights to save them.

I have seen so many kids exit the bus and dash across the street without looking.

If I was a parent I would tell my kid that he is always responsible for his well being and even if the lights are flashing, the stop sign is out and the bus driver gives you the OK you should still look to make sure some distracted drunk idiot is not bearing down on you.

Parents tell your kids to always look both ways at the school bus stop at a traffic light even when it is flashing that it is ok to cross, while in the crosswalk heading into the grocery store and anytime you are crossing the road. I Don't trust anyone to stop for me.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I saw a picture of a school bus stopping in the middle of the road so cars wouldn't go by on either side.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I saw a picture of a school bus stopping in the middle of the road so cars wouldn't go by on either side.
That's what the driver did for 2 years (5th & 6th grade) that my granddaughter was only child being dropped off at a 4 way stop. Stopped the bus diagonally in the intersection. Bus then completed a left turn.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I was almost killed by one of those people when I was a kid. I don’t even remember how old I was, maybe 8 or 9, I just remember seeing a brown Ford pickup coming and then falling to my knees at the edge of the road. I’m not even sure how I fell, but I think the truck came so close that the wind from it blew me down. I’m not a religious person, but I have always thought that it felt like a giant hand pushing me from behind.

It scared my bus driver too, because I remember the next day he was yelling at me saying “you almost got ran over, always look both ways before crossing the road”!

Old 11-04-2018, 04:00 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Why so many more today than in decades past?"

1. population increase.
2. enforcement increase.
3. more media needs content. (now we know)
4. unassimilated immigrants do not know rules of the road.
5. distractions increased with hand-held technology.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:11 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was almost killed by one of those people when I was a kid. I don’t even remember how old I was, maybe 8 or 9, I just remember seeing a brown Ford pickup coming and then falling to my knees at the edge of the road. I’m not even sure how I fell, but I think the truck came so close that the wind from it blew me down. I’m not a religious person, but I have always thought that it felt like a giant hand pushing me from behind.

It scared my bus driver too, because I remember the next day he was yelling at me saying “you almost got ran over, always look both ways before crossing the road”!

I was once, as a schoolboy, almost hit by a car while crossing the street to get to a bus. I was carrying a bag with gym gear and I was swinging it..the car actually full-on hit the bag which at the moment of impact was swung and about a foot in front of my body.

I knew the cars were by law required to stop and there was a warning sign, and the drivers always did stop on all the mornings for years..except this one time. And it could have easily killed me. The driver was a lady who was clearly shocked and ran out of her car to check on me. But it wouldn't have made a difference if I weren't a slow walker .

Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Theres a driver who did that here, up until Friday. It wouldn't have been a big deal if he didn't do it on a blind curve. Car comes around the curve, hits the bus almost head on. Car driver was charged, but is going to fight it,( I know the lady who drove the car) bus driver lost his job, so I heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive