Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 04:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Power, awd, and tires are what they are regardless of what is powering them. I believe it is the range, availability, and rate of recharging that’s the problem.
I want to see the video of it pulling a Suburban out of a ditch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Power, awd, and tires are what they are regardless of what is powering them. I believe it is the range, availability, and rate of recharging that’s the problem.
I want to see the video of it pulling a Suburban out of a ditch.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:43 PM

155 posts, read 126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I love these threads. Between the faction shrieking MY COLD DEAD HANDS (for no particular reason) and those who probably furiously argued that property values would never go down ca. 2008, I keep running out of popcorn.
Yeah, you Obamaphiles are pretty entertaining as well.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:49 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
I used to have a big pickup. I loved it. I've still got the same pickup - 90 GMC - but it's no longer big. Now, my 4X4 shortbed 2 seater is small.
NO matter. I still love it. I don't like the new ones much. I'm retired and I try to run about a tank of gas every couple of months through it.
Just think - I could have turned it in back when the Cash For Clunkers program was in effect. Glad I didn't.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
In 2008, gas hit $4 a gallon and there was panic. People couldn't afford to get to work and their used pickups and SUVs were almost worthless. Here we are 10 years later and we haven't learned our lesson as we continue to drive massive pickups and SUVs. What will it take for people to stop buying oversized gas-guzzling vehicles? $10 a gallon? $25 a gallon?
With the exception that, this time, 10-year-old diesel trucks with 200,000 miles are selling for $30,000.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times
Quote:
In 2008, gas hit $4 a gallon and there was panic. People couldn't afford to get to work and their used pickups and SUVs were almost worthless. Here we are 10 years later and we haven't learned our lesson as we continue to drive massive pickups and SUVs. What will it take for people to stop buying oversized gas-guzzling vehicles? $10 a gallon? $25 a gallon?
The trade off is simply worth it to some people.

I'd much rather have the peace of mind knowing I could seriously camp out in my vehicle in relative comfort at the drop of a hat if stuck somewhere rather than 27 mpg average fuel economy.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
A lot of people will quit driving those oversize vehicles, when they quit making clown cars, and again build cars that average people can sit up in, not being a contortionist which can't do any more to get into one. One that can carry 5 or 6 people in comfort, and that is safe to drive and does not fold up in case of an accident. According to safety experts looking at statistics, those small cars have a death rate in an accident 4 to 5 times the rate for medium size SUVs and Pickups, so they buy them for the safety of their families.

Note: I call them clown cars as they remind me of the circus a small car about the size of those small cars today would pull into a ring, and clown after clown would crawl out.

In our town, you have to go 50 miles each way to go shopping. My wife and another 5 or 6 women go to town on shopping trips, and can all ride together in our Explorer or one of the ladies similar vehicles and have room to take their purchases home. Would take 3 of those little clown cars to do the same thing, and those 3 cars would use more gas.

In winter time when out on 2 lane highways, we use a long tow strap we carry, when it is 30 to miles to closest town, and no cell phone service to call for help, and pull those clown cars back on pavement when they slide off the ice covered road.

We live on 5 acres across a county road from the highest quality part of town. We have to take 3 garbage cans out to the transfer station to get rid of garbage, and often yard debris and trimmings from 8 large shade trees. Do it with the F-150, and could not do it with a clown car.

Remember Ford and GMC are shutting down auto production, and will be increasing production of SUVs and Pickups, as that is what the public wants to buy today. Some foreign car makers building cars in USA, have been seeing as much as 20% drop in sales of cars.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
With the exception that, this time, 10-year-old diesel trucks with 200,000 miles are selling for $30,000.
What? I can buy diesel 2008 Ford F-250 or F-350 4x4s with normal miles all day here in Seattle for $12-15k. Let me know where you live. Sounds like an untapped used truck market.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
I remember that. It was a great time to pick up a nice full size SUV for a song. I picked up a Ford Excursion with a V10. It was awesome for our 250 trek up north to our rural cabin.

Ended up selling that for a diesel pickup...in the next year I plan on ordering a new one. 2500 Mega Cab, most likely going back to gas power. Would love a new Denali Suburban or Escalade , just can't afford it.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'd much rather have the peace of mind knowing I could seriously camp out in my vehicle in relative comfort at the drop of a hat if stuck somewhere rather than 27 mpg average fuel economy.

Assuming you are stuck in the snow and out of gas the smaller vehicle would be preferable simply because it will retain more heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive