Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:39 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times

Advertisements

We have my wife's car in for a tire changeover (yes, I know it's late) and we also asked them to take a look at a high-pitched sound that seemed to be coming from the wheels. I suspected brakes.

Sure enough, they say we need new rear brake pads and to have the rotors resurfaced.

The car is brand new. We've had it for two years and it only has just under 12,000 miles. The dealer says that this is the cause of the brake wear. Such a low mileage total has caused corrosion to build up, which is what caused the wear.

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 10:44 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Yes, rust on the pad swept surface of the rotor can contribute to increased pad wear.

So my question is, do your brakes get rusty while the car sits? Does the car get driven in salt/snow? When it sits, does it sit outside on a dirt driveway or in a garage? That's the sort of info that would be helptful to see if this is really the cause. Could also be mechcnical issues such as stuck pad caliper slide pins from sitting that contribute to uneven pad wear in the rear which accelerates how quickly the pads wear down.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Brake wear isn't simply dependent on the mileage of your car. It's how often/hard you actually use it - people that track cars may need to change pads after a meet. Extreme example, but just making a point.

That said - rust on rotors and pads are perfectly normal. It normally rubs off after using the brakes. How much rust will depend on the type of rotors/pads used. I would get a second opinion on the brake work. Never hurts. Also - check to see if your warranty includes brake pads. Some won't as it's a wear and tear item, but some will.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
What kind of car? Is it garaged kept or out in the elements. Do you drive it when it snows and then let it sit for a long time before driving again?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 AM

It's a Camry. Usually garaged, but it does sit outside for hours sometimes after being driven in snow.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:12 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Also how is your wife on the brake pedal, maybe she is a heavy breaker or rides the brakes there are many reasons why brakes wear out.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
It really does depend on how you drive the car (and the car itself). If standing on the brakes all the time, then maybe, maybe, that soon. But, I personally have never seen pads go that fast before in non-racetrack usage.

Rust on the rotor surface that the pads sweep across is nothing major, it's flash-rust brought out by the humidity. Again, depending on the car, being rear pads/rotors, I doubt your rear rotors are vented, meaning they're probably solid metal through out. Bet your fronts are vented though, meaning you can see little vents along the outer edges of the rotor. So, even though you're in a snow state that is likely covered in salt, I doubt they're rusted up to the point of needing replacement, other than cosmetic. BUT, given the 12,000 miles and only 2 years old - I'd ask about the warranty here.

My guess - the salt has dried up the backing pad of the brake pad itself (depending on the car). Sometimes squeaking brakes are caused by little more than a bad backing clip on a brake pad.

I'd ask to be shown the existing pads and rotors first. And then I'd press for some warranty coverage relief if indeed found to be worn out already. I mean even in the most extreme daily traffic usages, 12,000 miles is very very short. Defective kind of short, If you ask me. Would make me look at the caliper piston itself or glide pins to make sure there isn't a problem there that is causing the pad to constantly be pressing on the rotor to the point of wearing the pad down without you really realizing it while driving. Caliper pistons do get hung up sometimes, and salt can do that if their little seals around the piston has a hole and salt/sand gets into them.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
We have my wife's car in for a tire changeover (yes, I know it's late) and we also asked them to take a look at a high-pitched sound that seemed to be coming from the wheels. I suspected brakes.

Sure enough, they say we need new rear brake pads and to have the rotors resurfaced.

The car is brand new. We've had it for two years and it only has just under 12,000 miles. The dealer says that this is the cause of the brake wear. Such a low mileage total has caused corrosion to build up, which is what caused the wear.

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks.

Two things jump out at me:

1) A two year old car with 12,000 miles is NOT brand new.

2) You live in Vermont...….snow, and I assume salt.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Two things jump out at me:

1) A two year old car with 12,000 miles is NOT brand new.
Hey, everything's relative.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Who is "they" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive