Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 06:09 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's getting harder and harder to avoid a new vehicle that doesn't have stop/start. My next vehicle will probably have it. But I guarantee you that as soon as a workaround is on the market I will install one. I'm not pushing that stupid override button every time I go somewhere.
BMW has a disable button that once pushed the car is no longer stop/starting. It works forever, not just until the car is switched off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 06:10 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Driver's seat belt warning tone. I'm aware if my seat belt is not buckled. I disconnected it fifteen years ago. Sweet, sweet silence.
GM seems to get this, Ford/BMW makes the tone unbearable forever

Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 AM

342 posts, read 317,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Cruise control for me. I've had it in the past, but it was a pain. Kept having to reset it while driving. So, I have never even tried it in my current vehicle.
Same with me. Even on long (7+ hour trips), I never use cruise. I feel I stay more alert when I control the gas pedal.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
Dynamic Cruise control (or whatever the heck you call it). You basically sit back and let the car do the work. I don't use it. I like to be in control of my own vehicle.

I turn steering assist off because certain roads I drive on have lines and grooves and the steering assist will pick those up and try to steer me to the right or left when I am in no danger of crossing the white or yellow line.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
2004 Dodge Durango:

--------------------------------------------------

Driver 1+2 seat/mirror memory (just so used to expecting to do it manually)

Cruise control (if it were adaptive back then, it might have gotten used more)

Fog lights

High beams (if not for the convenience of using the stick to flash lights at other drivers)

Automatic climate control (you set only the temperature, and the computer manages which vents are active, fan speed, and when to engage A/C compressor)

The setting on my headlights that engages only running lights but no headlights

Adjustable pedals

Old 12-19-2018, 12:57 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
What feature in my car that I totally ignore?

My wife.

Sincerely,

The Honorable, Al Bundy.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:25 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,713 times
1. Wheel locks - I don't have the kind of tires anyone would bother to steal, so this just adds an unnecessary extra gadget I have to keep track of.
2. Bluetooth
3. Door automatically unlocking when shift to park - I hate this. I would rather decide for myself when to unlock the doors. This seems to be ripe for a carjacking as soon as you stop the car.
4. Onstar capabilities. Buttons are inconveniently located on the rearview mirror, so I've accidentally called Onstar a couple times while trying to shift the mirror to night view. I've discovered it's a royal pain to hang up (you'd think a simple button press on the "hang up call" option would do it, but the last couple times it's taken several tries for that to respond).

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I love that feature. I don't live in a high crime area, but no one is going to be able to open the door and hop in to hijack one at a red light.
Yep, see #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Bluetooth. The car salesman said he would set it up for me and I said don't bother. I do not make or take phone calls while I am driving. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. Yeah, I know.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My guess is that the 2 features most people ignore are the spedometer and the turn signal.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Every single car - the adjustable head rest. Especially the ones in the rear. Who actually has ever touched those? I even have power-adjusting headrests for the 2 fronts. I was amazed at the wasted engineering. Never touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Dynamic Cruise control (or whatever the heck you call it). You basically sit back and let the car do the work. I don't use it. I like to be in control of my own vehicle.

I turn steering assist off because certain roads I drive on have lines and grooves and the steering assist will pick those up and try to steer me to the right or left when I am in no danger of crossing the white or yellow line.
Can't agree with this at all. We do travel sports so we're on the road frequently enough and while I love driving (and driving spiritedly), I don't love it while going 65 straight down a highway for 50-200 miles at a time. I love the radar cruise control, mixed in with lane-keeping assist where it sends you back to the middle of the lane - you save a ton of fatigue by not having to repeatedly keep things straight and constant. Our next trip is 10 hours and I plan to be using radar cruise for a good 9 of it on the interstates.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times
All the mileage test enhancers like auto-stop and the "non-eco" mode that is multiple menu levels down and resets every time you start the car. Touch screens are nice, but can anyone actually design a functional one that doesn't go 39 levels deep on the menu structure?

Old 12-19-2018, 06:33 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,256 times
The tachometer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive