Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:59 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,492,058 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying a Subaru WRX although I saw a Forester XT with turbo. I want a turbo very helpful in So Cal traffic.

Is it worth paying for Certified Pre Owned?

I think I could have my ASE Master Mechanic do the same checks for less $$.

You constructive input is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,263,580 times
Not on a Subaru because it's only a powertrain warranty.
The only CPOs I look at are the ones that extend the new car warranty.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:14 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,742,503 times
Take a look at the details. Lexus, Audi, and Volvo have fantastic CPO warranties. Toyota - not so much. Look at what's covered and the term of coverage. I'd definitely want a warranty on any WRX I bought as these are bought new (and used for that matter) by people who drive them hard.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,931 times
That depends. I've seen many CPO cars at franchise dealers that aren't much, if any, more expensive than the same year/make/model down at Bob's used car lot.

One of the supposed benefits to CPO (besides the warranty) is that the car has to go through a "rigorous inspection" by the factory trained technicians at the dealership. Now, they can always fudge those reports, but it's something to think about.

Also, cars with a salvage history, major accidents reported or lemon buybacks don't qualify for CPO.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am looking at buying a Subaru WRX although I saw a Forester XT with turbo. I want a turbo very helpful in So Cal traffic.

I’m curious as to how the turbo is helpful. Other than my diesels and one previous vehicle with a turbo all my vehicles have been normally aspirated and I had no issue driving then in SoCal

I would go have a mechanic look at whatever car you wanna buy. The advantage to a CPO is the warranty

Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
It's simple: you want as much as you can get for your dollar. Buying ca. 3yo cars already puts you in the sweet spot in nearly all ways. I'd evaluate each candidate you find - if the CPO warranty is comprehensive, it adds value; if it's just powertrain or selective coverage, it's worth no more than a private-party buy with an independent survey.

There's probably no one flat answer; judge each car as you find it and do the math.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, great input, will rep you all!

I just like driving a turbo loved it in the Mini a few years ago when my friend let me drive hers.

It's quick you can move in and out of traffic easily. I like that

I do realize it's an additional point of failure on the car and yes my mechanic will give the car a once over before I plunk do 25k for a used or 29k for new.

We own a Outback and beyond the ECU problems which were covered zero cost it's been a great car. Almost don't want to sell it.

I also like the Forester XT turbo but it's out of my price range over 30k.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
Just as a side point, you might want to check insurance cost on the WRX. Owners of more boring Subarus can get a helluva case of sticker shock on that point.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Just as a side point, you might want to check insurance cost on the WRX. Owners of more boring Subarus can get a helluva case of sticker shock on that point.
That's a great point I am going to call them tomorrow

Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,087,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post

It's not about the checks the mechanics perform.

In the instance of Honda and Toyota, they give you the balance of the powertrain warranty up to 100,000 miles. For some people, that's worth it. Considering that Honda and Toyota new car powertrain warranties are 5 years/60,000 miles, it's worth it for some people. Say you buy a CPO Toyota with 20,000 miles on it, you're getting 80,000 miles of powertrain warranty, or 20,000 more miles than if you bought new.

I've read the Lexus CPO program is quite stout.

I believe the CPO programs take off in popularity because of the warranty and also because of a few manufacturers including "free" maintenance with new purchases. I say "free" because the buyer ultimately paid for it, it was built into the price of the vehicle as nothing is free. Manufacturers combine maintenance records with an extended powertrain warranty to charge 2nd hand buyers more. For cars such as a Honda and Toyota, 100k miles is easily achieved. Some math genius out there calculated that the rate of failure <100k miles is low enough for them to offer it and still be able to make lots of $.

Genius marketing, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive