Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times

Advertisements

I have generally bought CPO cars over the last few years. Mostly Hyundai because they depreciate more than others and the CPO gives me the same warranty as the first owner which is good.

Word of caution though on the WRX. It is not a car that people buy to drive gently, so a used one might be abused, I will be esp worried about the clutch. When I wanted to buy my Veloster with 6 speed, I coughed up a little more for a brand new. Also, shop around for new too. In my case the Veloster was a 2016, I bought it January 2017 with steep discounts. I had to settle on an orange one but that is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Genius marketing, IMO.
Especially when you consider you're buying a new car that someone else already paid for.

Which is why dealers just love their lease programs.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Back in 2016 I bought a Certified used 2015 Honda Pilot. Other than new tires and normal maintenance I haven’t had the 1st problem with it. Would definitely buy this way again.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I’m curious as to how the turbo is helpful. Other than my diesels and one previous vehicle with a turbo all my vehicles have been normally aspirated and I had no issue driving then in SoCal

I would go have a mechanic look at whatever car you wanna buy. The advantage to a CPO is the warranty
Yeah I drive a Ford C-Max Energy without getting run over.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
My cousin is buying a CPO Porsche and they actually extend the factory warranty by more years and unlimited miles.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
As with the previous post about "certified" used cars.

The term goes back to the 1950's. May or may not have any meaning at all.

Some manufacturers mandate that cars be "checked" for certain items such as brakes. Some may provide some sort of loosely worded "warranty".

But the term is virtually meaningless.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
As with the previous post about "certified" used cars.

The term goes back to the 1950's. May or may not have any meaning at all.

Some manufacturers mandate that cars be "checked" for certain items such as brakes. Some may provide some sort of loosely worded "warranty".

But the term is virtually meaningless.
Especially as a new-car dealer often cannot sell a car unless it passes at least a safety inspection, has brake linings replaced if they're under spec, etc. The difference between a CPO and non-CPO car on a dealer's lot, in terms of "inspection," is probably nil. It's all in what warranty or continued support the term brings.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am looking at buying a Subaru WRX although I saw a Forester XT with turbo. I want a turbo very helpful in So Cal traffic.

Is it worth paying for Certified Pre Owned?

I think I could have my ASE Master Mechanic do the same checks for less $$.

You constructive input is appreciated
Don’t know but what I do know is I love WRX’s❗️❗️They are like a go cart regarding how they handle and they have the distinction of being the most ticketed car in the US.

Get the WRX❗️

Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
It depends on how handy you are, if you have access to a friendly mechanic, if you're buying a car with expected reliability issues, if you want peace of mind, and/or if you don't mind spending a little more money. I just bought a used 2013 Tesla Model S 85 equipped with air suspension, tech package, sunroof, and dual chargers. Buying it through Tesla gave me unlimited Supercharging, 3 years/unlimited miles on the powertrain warranty, 2 years/100K mile warranty on the rest of the car, and 7 years of navigation/cellular data/streaming radio. I didn't feel like I paid up for the "CPO" coverage because I bought it at market price but the peace of is worth a lot to me. My brother-in-law is a mechanic so I have repair/maintenance at a very affordable price, and I live 1.5 miles from a Tesla service center.

As for the OP's comment about the MINI, those can be expensive and a pain to maintain. If you look at the cost to replace a turbo or a clutch, and the likelihood of failure on a >3 year old MINI you might just want to walk away. My friend junked his JCW MINI after getting an estimate for $5K in repair work. The problem is that the powertrain is so crammed that much of the front-end has to be removed to access the components...it's laborious. A turbo doesn't instantly make it a fun car. It seems like you you'd like a short gear ratio, mid-top end power, and a car that can put the power to the wheels while maintaining traction. Ever consider an S2000 or Miata? Neither has a lot of power but they sure are fun.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:54 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
It depends on the car. I'd certainly want it on a used Jaguar or other European import.

The other thing to look at, is it not certified because it can't be certified (IE, its the Cheapest 2016 Camry on the Toyota lot with 12 of them because it can't be certified) or is it that the seller isn't in network to certify it? IE, a used Lexus on the lot at the Ford dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive