Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:10 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I posted this in the Honda/Acura forum but no one responded so I'll ask here. I currently have a 2017 Acura RDX with 3.5L V6. Beautiful, peppy ride. I had a 2019 loaner last week; the engine is now a 2.0L turbo-4. It was semi-peppy but had a little bit of hesitation sometimes. But mostly, the sound of the 4 bothers me. It sounds like "the little engine that could". Switching to Sport Mode makes the exhaust sound a little louder, but it still has that putt-putt sound to me. Am I the only one who notices this difference in sound or is bothered by it (in general, not just the RDX)? Not sure what I'm gonna do when my lease comes due in September...
The RDX V6 is a Honda staple - strong, reliable, decent-but-not-spectacular sound, great mileage. My 2015 RDX regularly returned 30 mph on the highway. Loved the vehicle and the engine. My commute was about 35 miles each way so mileage, comfort and safety was important. My only complaint was that the windshield felt thin and regularly suffered chips, cracks, etc. in three years, it was replaced twice and repaired once.

When boredom set in and I began to work from home, I went with a CPO version of the vehicle I originally shied away from in 2015 due to the anticipated miles. V6, twin-turbos, mid-300 HP. Bonus...the warranty runs through 2021 and the warranty mileage is unlimited.

My wife drives a 2013 Lexus which we purchased new. 60,300 miles on its V6. Strong engine, 26 mpg all day long. She wants to drive it for several more years and then, she wants an Infinity QX30...or a similar version in 5 years. Ruh roh....4 cylinder turbo. Yuck. 200 more rpm at 60 than the RDX or the Cadillac XT4, both 4 bangers. She’s from Brazil and her last car there was a Fiat with a sewing-machine-engine so these are clearly a step up. She doesn’t care. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Not much you can do with a little 4 banger your not going to get them to sound like a big V8 with a set of headers on it. 4 bankers always sound muffled or tinny imo.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Thanks.

Another reason that I will never own a turbo vehicle. Never mind the potential maintenance issues of a turbo gone bad. Or the extra stress on the engine as it ages.

You should hear my diesel exhaust. It sounds really funny. A loud ffftttt-fffftttt-fffftttt-ffffttttt. It’s because the exhaust is going through a turbo vane and the stock muffler it adds a specific noise. My other diesel while it’s the same engine has a larger exhaust and it sounds more like a V8 and the ffftttt sound is less noticeable

Turbo cars are great. Yes the added trump system adds some complexity but it’s not like a hybrid car.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Not much you can do with a little 4 banger your not going to get them to sound like a big V8 with a set of headers on it. 4 bankers always sound muffled or tinny imo.
All of my sedans have been 4 cylinders. New and used sedans. All worked like Switch watches.

Have two sedans today with 4 cylinders one Japanese (Mexico) and one made in USA and both work and sound perfect. And I get from point A to point B just as well as my neighbor with his $122,000 Porsche Panamera.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Might be a bit off topic but I hate when car reviewers on YouTube include the exhaust note of non performance oriented vehicles...nobody buying a friggin new Versa or Highlander takes that kind of stuff into consideration!

Complete waste of time.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Might be a bit off topic but I hate when car reviewers on YouTube include the exhaust note of non performance oriented vehicles...nobody buying a friggin new Versa or Highlander takes that kind of stuff into consideration!

Complete waste of time.
Versa, no... Highlander, maybe yes.

I suspect most people who buy a new Highlander love it’s nice sounding V6. As for the Versa, nobody who actually likes cars would buy that godawful thing anyways.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Have never, nor will I ever purchase a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine. I prefer the power and don't care about MPG

Old 02-03-2019, 03:04 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
As for the Versa, nobody who actually likes cars would buy that godawful thing anyways.
Just wondering what makes it godawful? I was under the impression that many owners liked to car, I considered one for a while but my preferences changed to something else.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Just wondering what makes it godawful? I was under the impression that many owners liked to car, I considered one for a while but my preferences changed to something else.
Underpowered noisy engine, droning CVT transmission, awful handling, etc...

Old 02-03-2019, 03:30 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I hate the sound of all cars but my modded C6 Vette with headers and nothing else when i hit the button since i have NPP in a box. Kids with Hondas make me sick with that bug sound. Stangs sound good if they are v8's and other big V8's. I like loud and rude sounding cars. Fun when i wake everyone up when i get on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive