Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 AM

423 posts, read 458,881 times

Advertisements

Is it true that dealership service departments are better compared to something like valvoline/Midas or is this just a myth that I’ve Been believing for years?

Or is it just that Subarus have bad dealer service departments?

My parents cars- Toyotas, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus. No issues when they take it in for service. Oil is changed, right fluids used, bolts are tight. I bring my 2017 subaru, still under warranty, into a Subaru dealer and I get it back with loose lug nuts, jacked up alignment, loose oil plug(or overly tight), interior trim that isn’t even put back together right. I try to do my own oil changes but it’s kinda hard when they over tighten the drain bolt every time and the head gets stripped. And I’m pretty sure my current fill isn’t the recommended 0W20 because I’ve been seeing extremely low MPGs. I’ve been to 2 different subaru dealers in 2 different parts of the country. Both over tightened my oil bolt, one left it loose when I told them to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:59 AM

128 posts, read 66,296 times
The short answer is: They can't. Be that as it may, since littler shops bring about far less overhead expenses than merchant offices, they can charge you less. Regularly significantly less. The other thing to remember is that albeit littler shops may have less administration inlets, they are in some cases ready to give quicker administration on shorter notice.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Potentially yes, because dealers generally only hire experienced ASE certified mechanics. Unfortunately that doesn't mean they are perfect by any means, and dealers like to "upsell" on service. I will not go to the chain repair places because I have seen their signs "HOW HIRING - Experience not required, will train." The best is an independent shop that has been around a long time. Mine for example, is owned by a former drag racer, and I have been going to them since 1995.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:40 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,203,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
Is it true that dealership service departments are better compared to something like valvoline/Midas or is this just a myth that I’ve Been believing for years?

Or is it just that Subarus have bad dealer service departments?

My parents cars- Toyotas, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus. No issues when they take it in for service. Oil is changed, right fluids used, bolts are tight. I bring my 2017 subaru, still under warranty, into a Subaru dealer and I get it back with loose lug nuts, jacked up alignment, loose oil plug(or overly tight), interior trim that isn’t even put back together right. I try to do my own oil changes but it’s kinda hard when they over tighten the drain bolt every time and the head gets stripped. And I’m pretty sure my current fill isn’t the recommended 0W20 because I’ve been seeing extremely low MPGs. I’ve been to 2 different subaru dealers in 2 different parts of the country. Both over tightened my oil bolt, one left it loose when I told them to fix it.
Never had an issue at a dealership other than they always search for extra things to do and charge 30 to 40% more than a good private mechanics shop, on average, at least in all of my past experiences❗️

Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times
The rule of the thumb is to go to the dealer as long as the car is under factory warranty. Yes, you have to put up with $200 oil changes but do you want to risk getting declined warranty if something goes wrong.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,931 times
For repairs, yes.

The guy (or gal) doing oil changes at the dealership is the low man on the totem pole. They are usually a newbie, with little experience. The good thing is, pretty much any idiot can do an oil change, that doesn't always mean they will though...

The thing I like about a dealership is if they do mess something up, I can go after the manufacturer as well. I feel like I'm more likely to get somewhere than I would if Bob down at Bob's Garage forgot to fill my car with oil and let me drive off like that.

Also, as someone already mentioned. It helps you if you should ever have a warranty claim, as the service records are usually logged into the manufacturer's database when performed at the dealership.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,074 times
Dealerships do have the advantage when it comes familiarity to the specific models and their issues along with the most up to date high end diagnostic equipment ect.

Ofcourse the end consumer pays a premium for all of that.

More experience with a make and model should translate into better service but when it comes down to it, any service visit regardless of it being a dealership or indy shop ect still will depend on the integrity of the people running the business and doing the work. Unfortunately there is no way around this.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,550,306 times
Possibly, and you will pay for it. Even if they aren't one of the good ones.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,130,619 times
Finding a good indy car mechanic that you trust is just as important as finding a good dentist you trust. the dealerships are crooks.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 AM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Finding a good indy car mechanic that you trust is just as important as finding a good dentist you trust. the dealerships are crooks.
dealership = stealership!

But some are trying to be more competitive to try and take back some of the brakes/tires/batteries business from independent shops. Mostly Ford/GM stores are matching prices you find elsewhere.

BMW- not so much, I saw a quote for an oil change (7 qrts, filter, orings).....$392. Labor was 200, oil was $20 a quart (Walmart sells the same oil for $6). Needless to say the oil change was declined for that price.
DIY cost for that same car was about $75 using a BMW oil filter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive