Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:42 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

I had one year of free satellite radio when I bought my car at the end of 2015. Traveling throughout the US, the satellite radio was a godsend. I listened to comedy shows/channel, cable news, music, etc. It was great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:52 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
This thread is all over the place. Some people are simply cheapskates that don't like listening to the radio!

I have a relative that loves Camrys (which are as exciting as appliances to me). He hates the radio, literally drives around in silence. I think he can't do more than one thing at a time. So he would be in the camp: Satellite radio is a waste of money.

To me, if you spend a lot of time in your car then it is a great option! I bought the lifetime subscription when Howard Stern moved to satellite. It was $500 for the lifetime deal. I looked at it like if the local cable company asked if I wanted "lifetime cable tv for $500" I would definitely do that so why not with radio. So Jan 2006 to now is 13 years, 157 months so it has cost me $3.18 cents a month.

The WORST part of the subscription is the 1-800 call INDIA. If you complain online you might get the NY customer care people to respond.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
If you don’t want to pay for it than don’t get it, it’s just that simple people are always wanting something for nothing, satellite radio has nothing to do with the automakers all they do is off the radio and a free trial period. But many think it should be a forever freebie.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The WORST part of the subscription is the 1-800 call INDIA. If you complain online you might get the NY customer care people to respond.

The call center is in the Philippines now.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:34 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you don’t want to pay for it than don’t get it, it’s just that simple people are always wanting something for nothing, satellite radio has nothing to do with the automakers all they do is off the radio and a free trial period. But many think it should be a forever freebie.
Yeah, I have to say I'm surprised the length some folks will go to just for a few bucks.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:35 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
People either like it or not.

I don't listen to the music part much. Too many interesting talk channels. To keep the mind moving.

Lots of white noise here from those who don't want it or don't need it.
Ikr I love music, but some of the talk radio gets sooo good it's difficult for me to switch.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:51 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Yeah, I have to say I'm surprised the length some folks will go to just for a few bucks.
It blows my mind that they spend what they do on a vehicle without batting an eye, but complain about having to pay for satellite radio.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:45 PM

589 posts, read 300,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
To me, if you spend a lot of time in your car then it is a great option! I bought the lifetime subscription when Howard Stern moved to satellite. It was $500 for the lifetime deal. I looked at it like if the local cable company asked if I wanted "lifetime cable tv for $500" I would definitely do that so why not with radio. So Jan 2006 to now is 13 years, 157 months so it has cost me $3.18 cents a month.
That's the plan I got also in 2007. Never thought I would still have it but it was a one time payment for lifetime so thought it was a good deal. Also with this deal, you can listen online as well. So, you can listen streaming at home, work, play, wherever you are as long as you have internet access.

The good part of satellite is no commercials and they have music, talk, comedy, sports, weather, and so on. So whatever your mood, you can tune in, especially when driving. Bad part, as others have mentioned already, they do tend to repeat the playlist if you listen to it for hours at a time, especially on long drives.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Low quality, for sure. It used to be better. I am not talking about clarity of reception but stereo separation. With satellite radio, there is very little difference between stereo and mono. At first, I thought I had inadvertently pushed the Mono button on my amp, but NO. When I do that with CDs, cassettes I made from either CDs or vinyl, or FM there is a clear contrast between stereo and mono. Not so with satellite radio. Big thumbs-down for the terrible depth of sound. They must compress the bejeebers out of their music files.
I’ve never received stereo separation, and I was a Sirius subscriber starting in 2006. I think the highest bandwidth any channel uses is 128kbps.

You DO get stereo separation and much higher quality via the app/internet player.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:15 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
I like listening to a couple of Boston FM radio stations even when I am not in range, but I just bring the station's website up on my iPhone and plug the cable into the car's USB port and select iPhone for source (the process in my 2013 Accord), and presto, I can hear 92.5 The River or WBUR on my car stereo the entire way, even when I am on a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive