Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 2,967 times

Advertisements

I recently did work on the rear brakes of a 1987 nissan truck. The parking brake wasn't working and had to take the rear drums off. I had the rear end of the truck jacked up high and I then hit the rear drums off with a hammer cause they were rusted on. Both drums spilled fine powdery brake dust on the garage floor. It concerned me when I saw how much brake dust was on the floor when it was all said and done. I then looked online and read that brake shoes have asbestos in them since 1995 or earlier. I put it all back together, but the next day I got really sick. Bloody nose, sinus inflamed, sore throat, aching muscles, extreme tiredness. Also I noticed I had a metal taste in my mouth after doing the brakes so I'm assuming the brake dust was airborne? Its been a week now since I started having these symptoms. I went to the doctor and they didnt know what it was they gave me a strep throat test then basically said if it dont get better come back in a week or two? Anyways I'm kind of mad I was never taught brakes are made out of asbestos, and you should use a wet method when doing drum brakes. And I've been really sick because I did it wrong literally feel like I'm dying.

Has anyone experienced this before? Becoming sick after being exposed to brake dust? I am concerned now because I'm so sick, but also in the future because of asbestos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:48 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I sincerely doubt if a one time exposure to dust from asbestos brakes is going to kill you. I base that doubt on many years of working with asbestos brake linings, clutch discs, insulation, tile, and siding. I have managed to live to be over 75, in spite of that asbestos exposure (not to mention lead paint, lead wheel weights, casting my own lead sinkers, and shooting a lot of lead bullets in an indoor rifle range). I never got sick from the dust.
If you had a "metal taste" in your mouth, it is likely that the dust was composed mostly of ground cast iron. Those iron filings would certainly also cause nasal irritation and blood leakage.
We were informed in the 1970s, and reminded frequently, to never use compressed air blasts to clean brake or clutch parts, and to never use a vacuum cleaner, due to spreading the dust around. Use ONLY solvents designed for brake parts. ALWAYS wet clean them! This isn't new information. The fact that you were never taught tells me that you don't have a lot of experience in brake work. Perhaps you should have done some research about the required safety procedures when doing such work.
It is unlikely that your one time exposure shortened your life span by any amount.
I awssume you will know better next time...

Old 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Everyone has a different tolerance to chemicals and dust. Rare to be SICK (but possible).

This stuff is not great for you (anything / except FRESH air)

Many of us have been doing this (brakes / car repair)for 50+ yrs. All of us will die (for one reason or another), some sooner than expected.

None of it was good for us (skinned knuckles, broken fingers, oil and fumes..).

Painting cars in an enclosed space while in Jr High was probably not too good for me. This is what still causes me pain. I'm replaceable. Ask those on my insurance policy!

Be informed...
https://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm
https://www.asbestos.com/occupations/auto-mechanics/

Old 03-03-2019, 05:58 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
One time and such amount is nothing my father had to rip sheets of asbestos on a big table saw when he worked for GM in the 60’s and nothing happened to him and he was exposed to all kinds of asbestos when he was in the navy during WWll.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:27 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzrut View Post
I recently did work on the rear brakes of a 1987 nissan truck. The parking brake wasn't working and had to take the rear drums off. I had the rear end of the truck jacked up high and I then hit the rear drums off with a hammer cause they were rusted on. Both drums spilled fine powdery brake dust on the garage floor. It concerned me when I saw how much brake dust was on the floor when it was all said and done. I then looked online and read that brake shoes have asbestos in them since 1995 or earlier. I put it all back together, but the next day I got really sick. Bloody nose, sinus inflamed, sore throat, aching muscles, extreme tiredness. Also I noticed I had a metal taste in my mouth after doing the brakes so I'm assuming the brake dust was airborne? Its been a week now since I started having these symptoms. I went to the doctor and they didnt know what it was they gave me a strep throat test then basically said if it dont get better come back in a week or two? Anyways I'm kind of mad I was never taught brakes are made out of asbestos, and you should use a wet method when doing drum brakes. And I've been really sick because I did it wrong literally feel like I'm dying.

Has anyone experienced this before? Becoming sick after being exposed to brake dust? I am concerned now because I'm so sick, but also in the future because of asbestos

You have the flu , not exposure to brake dust. It would take years of being exposed to it to cause any harm. I have worked on and built cars for 60+ years, and have ingested my share of brake dust, and I am fine.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:36 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
am wondering if the OP used any "spray" brake cleaner/solvent as part of their work on the brakes.

Some of them can cause allergic reactions, tolerance which will vary from person to person.

I ran into this with a different spray carb & brake cleaner brand than I'd been using for years in a buddy's shop. Got some on my hands and a couple of my fingernails sloughed off over the next few days. My sinuses were irritated and draining for awhile afterward, too. I'd never had a problem with solvents and spray cleaners used in my shop, but the stuff he had caused me some problems for days afterwards.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
The household chemicals many people use for cleaning purposes, laundry detergent, fire retardants in carpet and furniture, pesticides, all the stuff people are exposed to on an everyday basis are likely having a much greater impact on one's long term health than a random exposure to brake dust ever would.

Next time take appropriate precautions but unless you have something else going on with your body right now you should be fine.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,036 times
Long term asbestos exposure can cause cancer, not flu or allergic symptoms. You are likely reacting to other things in the dust.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
It sounds like you might have had an allergic reaction to something. I doubt it was the one time exposure to the brake dust unless you were really snorting it.

I think your exposure to the dust may have caused your nasal cavities to become irritated and more susceptible to other airborne things like the flu.

Next time wear a mask just in case.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzrut View Post

Asbestos has not been used in brake shoes or pads in over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive