Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Most manufactures are going to stand up screens, up high on the dash, for the reason I mentioned. The cameras are mandatory now in the US. Even the Bentley motorized screen will not meet the regs for instantly being useable when reversing, though I love how it vanishes completely when not in use.

Again, this is a fad, not a bureaucratic mandate. A center stack screen meets all federal regs. And makes for much cleaner appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
"A long-awaited suspicion has been confirmed. Thanks to a study organized by the American Automobile Association (AAA)’s Foundation for Traffic Safety and the University of Utah, we can officially say that in-vehicle tech features in newer cars are widely contributing to the distracted-driving epidemic"

https://thenewswheel.com/study-from-...y-distracting/
That's why pop up screens seem much preferable

Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM

732 posts, read 391,295 times
Well, I can certainly understand the need to install back-up TV, blind spot monitoring, things that beep when you get too close to stuff, when you build a car with this kind of greenhouse:

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sit...-side-view.png

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sit...-rear-view.png

Old 03-13-2019, 11:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
I think they need to somehow set up automatic turn signals because 99.9% of people can’t use thier little finger to tap the stalk. Which means they can’t multitask and shouldn’t be driving.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
I feel like the Mazda 3 hatch that I purchased last summer has the best of all worlds when it comes to physical controls, the touch screen (which I rarely use), and the voice activated commands. The latter has come to be a feature that I've really come to appreciate (once the darn thing learned to understand me, of course. )

There's no need to take my eyes off the road to turn up the volume or change the station; no screen to navigate in order to use the climate controls. I'm a tactile person, so having a car that had physical knobs and buttons alongside of the touch screen technology was very appealing to me.

The heads up display is a nice feature, too, as I'm tall (it's not far out of my line of vision), but cleaning in the crevices between the display and the dash itself is a bit of a pain. Outside of the car's lack of a flip down sunglasses holder, that's the only complaint that I have about the car's interior.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Or nah? You don't mind the computer doing most of the work for you?

Now keep in mind cars have been increasingly electronic for over well the last 20 to 30 years, but in between the gap there is also what I like to call "technologically-transitional cars" so cars from the 80s to the mid 2000s may fit the bilm
Not at all.

Mod cut. I welcome and embrace new technology that makes driving (and flying) safer for everyone, including pedestrians, animals, and of course, passengers.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Political commentary.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM

79 posts, read 396,371 times
I prefer simplicity, but there’s no doubt of the advantage of electronics in the automobile. But what happens when the PCM that controls every function of a car becomes obsolete? As an example, ‘05 and ‘06 Jeep Wranglers have a problematic PCM which is prone to fail. Mopar is no longer supporting these anymore, so there is no NOS part available, and just recently a remanufactrerer has stopped fixing these. As far as I know, there is no other source. It becomes a boat anchor from there, unless you totally gut the electrical system and swap in a simple EFI system etc. From what I’ve read, a manufacturer only has to supply parts for ten years after production of a certain vehicle.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
I prefer simplicity, but there’s no doubt of the advantage of electronics in the automobile. But what happens when the PCM that controls every function of a car becomes obsolete? As an example, ‘05 and ‘06 Jeep Wranglers have a problematic PCM which is prone to fail. Mopar is no longer supporting these anymore, so there is no NOS part available, and just recently a remanufactrerer has stopped fixing these. As far as I know, there is no other source. It becomes a boat anchor from there, unless you totally gut the electrical system and swap in a simple EFI system etc. From what I’ve read, a manufacturer only has to supply parts for ten years after production of a certain vehicle.

I find it hard you can't find a PCM. No vehicle in the world has a more extensive aftermarket parts availability than the Wrangler.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 PM

732 posts, read 391,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
Huh, that's an interesting one. There seem to be quite a few refurbishers and refurbished units out there, eBay has a ton, but I wouldn't count on it in 10 more years. At least it's not a Saab.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to design a PCM emulator that you sell with a particular flash and convertor cable(s). It's been done for some families of pinball machines (a brilliant idea, that), but this seems like a bigger/crazier ecosystem.

Forget it, that wouldn't be allowed in California or any other state with similar rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive