Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 561 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to cars and got a 2006 Subaru outback. For the almost past winter, the battery gave me a hard time so I got a new battery. But after a while I found out the car still need jump to start once a while (colder - around 2 - 3 weeks, warmer - around a month). When I look at the battery and the terminal, the wiring seems to not connected right and kind of loose. Would this be the reason for the drain? Have mechanic tested, the charging system seems good.

Please see the battery terminal pic in the link:
[url]https://photos.app.goo.gl/UiXPegxVKSjxiciw5[/url]

Sorry I couldn't find the proper way to upload pics here...

Thanks you so much!

Last edited by chukohsin; 03-17-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Yes, a loose battery cable could cause issues. You did tighten it up to snug on the post?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukohsin View Post
Hello,

I'm new to cars and got a 2006 Subaru outback. For the almost past winter, the battery gave me a hard time so I got a new battery. But after a while I found out the car still need jump to start once a while (colder - around 2 - 3 weeks, warmer - around a month). When I look at the battery and the terminal, the wiring seems to not connected right and kind of loose. Would this be the reason for the drain? Have mechanic tested, the charging system seems good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UiXPegxVKSjxiciw5

Thanks you so much!
Yes, that's a problem. And what's with the battery cable being wrapped in electrical tape, with wiring strands hanging out? Did you hire one of my inbred cousins to work on that thing? Those clamp-on battery ends are junk and quickly become loose/corroded. Ok as a temporary fix, but really you need to just replace the entire battery cable.

Battery cables are a common problem and a cheap/easy fix. Make sure the ground cable is good too. Replace it if in doubt. Make sure all connection points are clean and tight.

Once the battery cables are good, make sure the alternator is charging correctly. At that point if you've got good cables, new battery, charging correctly... if it still cranks slow then the starter is about all that's left.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Once the battery cables are good, make sure the alternator is charging correctly. At that point if you've got good cables, new battery, charging correctly... if it still cranks slow then the starter is about all that's left.
The poor maintenance around the battery seems to be the culprit, but I'd also make sure the correct new battery was chosen. Not impossible that a cheaper (much lower CCA) battery was selected for the wrong reasons and it doesn't have enough punch on very cold days.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Sulfation due to a flaw in the charging-circuit or just not enough drive-time.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yes, that's a problem. And what's with the battery cable being wrapped in electrical tape, with wiring strands hanging out? Did you hire one of my inbred cousins to work on that thing? Those clamp-on battery ends are junk and quickly become loose/corroded. Ok as a temporary fix, but really you need to just replace the entire battery cable.

Battery cables are a common problem and a cheap/easy fix. Make sure the ground cable is good too. Replace it if in doubt. Make sure all connection points are clean and tight.

Not really. There could be a moderate parasitic drain on the battery.

Don in Austin

Old 03-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The poor maintenance around the battery seems to be the culprit, but I'd also make sure the correct new battery was chosen. Not impossible that a cheaper (much lower CCA) battery was selected for the wrong reasons and it doesn't have enough punch on very cold days.
If we're talking about sub-zero conditions, then that might be a factor. Otherwise it's a non-issue.

Depending on the vehicle, a starter is only going to draw 100 amps or so. Maybe 150 on a big V8. Any automotive battery in good condition will do that at reasonable temps.

Now if we're talking about temps below 0F... then yeah, maybe look at more CCA's.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Not really. There could be a moderate parasitic drain on the battery.

Don in Austin
Yeah, it's possible. A simple check for that is to just disconnect the cable and let it sit a couple days. If it starts that way (but not with the cables connected), then check for a current draw.

But 95% of the time, this sort of complaint is something simple. Like battery, cables, or starter.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
My neighbor had a similar problem. When I connected the boost cables, the engine started but when I removed the cable one of the battery cables came off with it. Who ever installed the battery didn't give enough turns on the wrench.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukohsin View Post
Hello,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UiXPegxVKSjxiciw5

Thanks you so much!
Battery terminal corrosion can affect the output more quickly with a loose connection than one that can fully tighten. Not sure if you're a "dealer maintenance only" guy or a "fix it yourself-er" but they sell shims at auto parts stores for exactly the purpose of making battery connections tighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive