Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,891 times

Advertisements

With rumors of Saturn getting axed, I wonder, why keep GMC? I don't pay attention to trucks much but I have a hard time telling GMC and Chevy vehicles apart without looking at their badges.

Is there a tangible difference between a Chevy and its GMC sister, and consequently a reason to maintain GMC as a separate division? Out of all the divisions, GMC was the one I couldn't understand.

How would you feel about GM paring down to just Chevy and Cadillac to follow in the mold of Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Ford/Lincoln and Toyota/Lexus? This would certainly streamline their model lineup and dealer networks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
No. GMC Sierra's are the exact same truck as the Chevy Silverado, just a little more expensive.

Same with the Yukon / Tahoe, for the most part.

When I was selling Chevy's, though, there were people absolutely convinced GMC was superior quality.

They need to get rid of GMC. If they did, the Silveradao would also replace the F-150 as the number one seller, too.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM

93 posts, read 165,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Is there a tangible difference between a Chevy and its GMC sister, and consequently a reason to maintain GMC as a separate division? Out of all the divisions, GMC was the one I couldn't understand.
How would you feel about GM paring down to just Chevy and Cadillac to follow in the mold of Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Ford/Lincoln and Toyota/Lexus? This would certainly streamline their model lineup and dealer networks.
The only difference is the grill, of which the GMC is a more handsome truck, always has been.

I could easily see Pontiac and GMC go the way of Oldsmobile with Buick and Caddy pairing up, similar to most Lincoln/Mercury dealers. I would leave Chevy a stand alone, again, like Ford in most cases.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
GMC - Trucks
Chevy - Cars
Cadillac - Luxery Cars

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
i've owned both; i prefer GMC and drive one now.

they are pretty much identical mechanically but the GMC's are better insulated and have a quieter ride. And I think they look much better.

I would rather them do away with the silverado than the sierra, mainly because of looks.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i've owned both; i prefer GMC and drive one now.

they are pretty much identical mechanically but the GMC's are better insulated and have a quieter ride. And I think they look much better.

I would rather them do away with the silverado than the sierra, mainly because of looks.

Silverado and Sierra have the exact same build, insulation, everything. They are built on the same line at the same plant by the same people in the same way. Aside from cosmetics, they are identical.

But just as I said, there are people who won't believe otherwise.

They will kill the Sierra long before the Silverado.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
I believe they should consolidate. however; I know that some models of identical GMC vs Chevy models have higher grade materials like the dash plastic, and trim. especially with the tahoe/yukon/escalade. the dash in the Tahoe is a harder cheaper looking plastic. the material in the Yukon and Escalade are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Silverado and Sierra have the exact same build, insulation, everything. They are built on the same line at the same plant by the same people in the same way. Aside from cosmetics, they are identical.

But just as I said, there are people who won't believe otherwise.

They will kill the Sierra long before the Silverado.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:33 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
The GMC has always been a better looking truck. Back in the day there was big differences. If it was me I would ditch chevy trucks and keep GMC for SUV and truck sales.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I believe they should consolidate. however; I know that some models of identical GMC vs Chevy models have higher grade materials like the dash plastic, and trim. especially with the tahoe/yukon/escalade. the dash in the Tahoe is a harder cheaper looking plastic. the material in the Yukon and Escalade are much better.

Of course the Escalade is different, but the Yukon / Tahoe and Silverado / Sierra are the exact same. So much so, in fact, that it was not at all unusual to get Silverado's in with Sierra tailgates or badging or bumper. Same with Tahoe's.

I've watched them roll down the plant line and they are exactly the same. I know that GM likes to call GMC "professional grade" and pretend its different, but it's not.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
GMC was a stand alone company until bought by
General Motors and the reason that they are still around
is that if you sold Chevy trucks you had to carry the entire
line this is why Buick, Olds, Pontiac & Cadillac could have
a truck line without having to carry another car line.

If you go to a Chevy or GMC store and look at the 'Truck
Facts' book you'll see that every ordering code and spec's
are the same and I have personally see GMC emblems on
one side and Chevy on the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive