Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Just speculating here but maybe the EV is taking longer to penetrate the market because the car industry hasn't yet figured out how to recoup the lost revenue for service.
Naw, it's aliens. It's always aliens.

The difference in service between an EV and an ICE vehicle with 12k oil changes is... not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yeah, Im thinking the same thing! If this battery technology is truly as great as they claim...whoever the mastermind behind it is, they better have someone they trust along side them 24/7 for the next year or so, and/or document every move they make...because they will be a HUGE target to be 'suicided' or that random fatal car accident!!!
Because that’s how it works: only one person has all of the info involved.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As always, I am puzzled as to why every single topic that mentions EV's has to become dominated by the basic discussion of their viability.

Tiresome.
It is getting tiresome...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which, of course, will be a permanent condition and has absolutely no other facets like vehicle emissions contributing to climate change, so why are we even bothering discussing these stupid EVs? Can't jump in one and drive a thousand miles, either, so they're useless.
People are idiots. Gas prices go up, they buy compact cars. A couple years later, gas prices go back down, they're dumping the Corollas and buying giant trucks and other gas-guzzlers. When prices go back up, they'll be whining. Why would you think they'd be any different with this?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Famed battery innovator Goodenough appears to have a new and very interesting battery.

Purportedly has twice the energy density of present devices. Basically a glass battery with a solid electrolyte. Claims large weight reduction and the elimination of fire as a problem...they will not burn.

And perhaps the most interesting claim is that capacity increaes with use. And a very long life.

Wonder if this is not the end of the ICE. 600 mile range?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise...RHREsifQ%3D%3D
Wow!

Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
People are idiots. Gas prices go up, they buy compact cars. A couple years later, gas prices go back down, they're dumping the Corollas and buying giant trucks and other gas-guzzlers. When prices go back up, they'll be whining. Why would you think they'd be any different with this?

They wont be doing this with Ford. If they expect to have any kind of selection to choose from. If the guy hadn't had success in the past. I would be skeptical with a name like Goodenough.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:47 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm waiting. When I go into town it is often for 5-8 hours of errands and it is often below freezing. So I need an electric car where the battery lasts for 8 hours of stop and go driving with the heater (or air conditioner ) running the whole time.

The car has to be big enough and strong enough for a full size Costco shopping trip, plus 2 large dogs.

Then, when I get the car, I'll put in solar electric panels so that I can drive the car around for free.

Batteries have got a ways to go before I am interested.
Well EVs utilize the kinetic energy that's Normally wasted every time you stop to generate power for the battery. So in your case stop and go would be optimal.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Solar panels won't charge those batteries faster than you can drain them.

Really? Because I only drive into town about once a week. The car battery won't charge enough in 6 days using the power from solar panels?

I can run my entire household on solar panels. They don't generate enough electricity to charge a car battery?

And by the way, still waiting for the solar panels and storage batteries to improve enough so that it worth the money to install them. So far, it is still a lot cheaper to buy electric off the grid. But the panels are getting a lot cheaper.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:42 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Yawn......call me when it's on a shelf and you can buy it. I'd hate to count the number of innovative ideas that never seem to make it to a store near me.
You mean like cell phones?

Old 06-14-2019, 01:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Rumors and speculation. When EV's can have good range, like gasoline powered cars, and trucks and have good towing capacity, with range, and the ability to charge in the same time as filling a gas tank, I will notice them. Until then there is no reason to buy one and the very low sales reflect that is the common, intelligent thought.

The market largely rejects them for a very good reason. They aren't as good.
EV have BETTER torque, which is what is required for towing capacity. They win hands down on that front. The range already is good, and some reach out to 400 miles. I can't do that on a tank of gas. Charge time is an issue, but it's improving.

If you are a commuter that drives less than 250 miles a day, most EV's today will serve you extremely well. And that covers about 98% of the actual driving done. Go to Florida, and it is not unusual to see 3 Teslas, a Leaf and one or two Bolts at the same red light you are stopped at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive