Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No they don't. They don't say what you're going to get in an ICE car at WOT with the AC on in summer.
Using the a/c in modern ICE powered vehicles makes a negligible difference fuel economy, and the heater doesn’t affect it at all. That is not the case with an EV. People don’t drive around at WOT with an ICE car either, so that’s a bad comparison.

I’m sorry but advertising an EV saying it has a “250 mile range” is misleading when 90% of drivers will never realistically get that. The EPA needs to come up with a ‘winter’ and ‘summer’ range for EVs so buyers understand what they are buying into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 05:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well they better hope this new battery works out then, because I don’t think lithium-ion will get them there.

I still say the government needs to require that manufacturers display the ‘worst case’ range of EVs with the climate control running, alongside the maximum range. They already do this with city/highway ratings of ICE cars, so EVs shouldn’t be treated any different.
List it. The difference is overblown. People aren't running around in their Tesla's with the A/C off.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
List it. The difference is overblown. People aren't running around in their Tesla's with the A/C off.
I've never seen a Tesla on the side of the road in Florida, where there are many. Seen lots of ICE vehicles stalled out though.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well they better hope this new battery works out then, because I don’t think lithium-ion will get them there.

I still say the government needs to require that manufacturers display the ‘worst case’ range of EVs with the climate control running, alongside the maximum range. They already do this with city/highway ratings of ICE cars, so EVs shouldn’t be treated any different.
EVs go through the similar city/highway cycles for EPA rating as gas cars, and the Mulroney sticker on an EV posts the equivalent city/highway ratings as a ICE vehicle - ICE vehicles use actual numbers from the test, EVs use 0.7 factor to reduce actual results from testing to account for potential reduced range. One could argue that EVs are treated worse by reducing results not seen during tests.

The maximum range is a number from the EPA based on city/highway rating and battery recharge energy used (so accounts for charging inefficiencies). A similar figure for a gas car would be its range based on gals used to refill tank after accounting for loss such as evaporation, but this is not an EPA number that is required. EVs provide info NOT required of ICE vehicle so treated differently by posting MORE info and number used is accounting for losses.

Both cars have similar KW/100mi and Gal/100mi but estimated cost to fuel can be much higher than actual by significantly more for an EV vs an ICE. Recharging by solar or special electricity rates for an EV can cost next to nothing, gas is never close to no cost.

FWIW - ICE vehicles do get significantly reduced fuel economy in cold weather also

From EPA web site https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/coldweather.shtml

Quote:
Fuel Economy in Cold Weather

Cold weather and winter driving conditions can reduce your fuel economy significantly.
Fuel economy tests show that, in short-trip city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is about 12% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 22% for very short trips (3 to 4 miles).
The effect on hybrids is worse. Their fuel economy can drop about 31% to 34% under these conditions.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:07 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
I think it's too soon for EV's to be viable. Weed strimmers is an excellent example of what's happening. EPA makes emissions stricter, so the engine sizes become smaller and smaller, now there's 4 stroke weed strimmers that require oil changes so they're more maintenance with less power. (This applies to cars too if you paid attention.)

They're trying to force people onto battery powered strimmers, but the batteries are expensive and only last 3-5 years where a gas powered 2 stroke strimmer lasts 10 years or longer. And the batteries cost more than the strimmer itself. How is that green when it creates more disposable planned obsolescent engineered fisher price looking crap?

The consumers should decide what they want, not Brussels, Paris, Kyoto, San Francisco, or Washington.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I think it's too soon for EV's to be viable. Weed strimmers is an excellent example of what's happening. EPA makes emissions stricter, so the engine sizes become smaller and smaller, now there's 4 stroke weed strimmers that require oil changes so they're more maintenance with less power. (This applies to cars too if you paid attention.)

They're trying to force people onto battery powered strimmers, but the batteries are expensive and only last 3-5 years where a gas powered 2 stroke strimmer lasts 10 years or longer. And the batteries cost more than the strimmer itself. How is that green when it creates more disposable planned obsolescent engineered fisher price looking crap?

The consumers should decide what they want, not Brussels, Paris, Kyoto, San Francisco, or Washington.
People should be able to have the option of being able to breath.

https://a.scpr.org/i/8a4de17e97a33a1...36616-full.jpg

Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I've never seen a Tesla on the side of the road in Florida, where there are many. Seen lots of ICE vehicles stalled out though.
Maybe the reason you have never seen a Tesla on the side of the road in Florida is because they only make up a little over 1% of the vehicles sold in 2018, much less than that in prior years with most of the sales being in California.

Just as an added note, I never have seen one on the side of the road either.....or even on the road!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:56 AM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Again, being used to bring down overall MPG's for CAFE standards and to virtue signal they are "green". As others have said, maybe an application that makes sense in urban areas with very short ranges, and some infrastructure.

Don't get me wrong. Choices are good, but don't expect this to put any dent into sales of ICE Trucks. It's a novelty at best.
We'll see. Electric-driven pickups have the potential to offer significantly higher towing capacity and significantly faster acceleration, so there are real practical advantages, besides the greenness. The potential is there for them to have an impact with consumers who are open to new things.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Maybe the reason you have never seen a Tesla on the side of the road in Florida is because they only make up a little over 1% of the vehicles sold in 2018, much less than that in prior years with most of the sales being in California.

Just as an added note, I never have seen one on the side of the road either.....or even on the road!
This one in Florida was one of three that surrounded me at this stop light.

And then this one from the furthest point away by land from Florida shows they are used all over.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
We'll see. Electric-driven pickups have the potential to offer significantly higher towing capacity and significantly faster acceleration, so there are real practical advantages, besides the greenness. The potential is there for them to have an impact with consumers who are open to new things.
I can’t imagine how fast the batteries would get depleted while towing a heavy trailer. ICE powered trucks guzzle gas while towing too, but at least with those you can refuel in 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive