Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Blah, blah, blah! Same old tired nonsense I always hear from the millennials. 7 of 10 new car buyers still WANT a CD player in their car. I only have one friend who doesn't want one and she doesn't listen to music. I guess not everyone is into working so hard to get their music. LOL!

Now go back to wasting money on and playing with all your gadgets!

And besides....this post isn't about CD players. Can you even read or do you have to have a gadget to do that for you, too?
What a grumpy post!
I am a couple of generations removed from millennials and I don't want to fumble around for an old-fashioned CD either. I get Sirius Radio and can bluetooth my phone music as well if I wanted.

Plus I have an SOS button that will connect to a human who will send road assistance to me wherever I am.
The days of me changing a tire are way back in my rear view mirror!

I guess you consider TPMS a big fat waste as well, right?
Me? I love all the new technology in cars nowadays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 12:06 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,281 times
People are happiest when they can pay for something. Music streaming give them the opportunity to do that. Cable & satellite tv gives them the opportunity to pay for tv. No one wants free over the air tv or radio. You can own a physical copy of your music with a cd, vinyl record, or cassette tape.You have to pay to purchase it, but there is no opportunity to be billed monthly for it so it is seen as inferior.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Reality is that 7 of 10 car buyers still want a CD player in their cars. Your stats are pretty irrelevant given that most people already have established their CD libraries over the years. I seldom buy a new CD anymore. When I do it is used. But I have hundreds of CDs that I want to listen to, as do many others that you ignore. Your stats are based purely on what the millennials and younger buy.

You are one of those guys that likes to follow whatever industry tells you to like. Go ahead and follow if it makes you feel better, but don't expect of us to be sheep.

My original post was about tires. You also appear to be someone who just likes to spend his time on the internet finding people to disagree with.
Doubt it.

Nobody cares about CD players anymore except a few dinosaurs. I prefer a USB port. No way I'm going back to 1990 carrying around a few thousand dollars of CDs to get stolen. I leave those at home and take a $10 flash drive.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you no longer own the CDs, you no longer have the right to use the music you ripped from them, and need to delete all the MP3s. At least that's the law. The license to listen th o th he music stays with the CD.
Every single time I mention it some one brings this up. You think I care about that? Do you think Motely Crue cares? Or Judas Priest? Robert Plant? Jimmy Page? Volbeat? Breaking Banjamin? Red Hot Chili Peppers?
Do you think one single artist gives a care? You think the RIAA cares anymore? Anyone making money on CD’s today?
Did you never copy a cassette for a buddy when you were young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Where are you getting your stats that 7 out of 10 car buyers still want a CD player in their cars and when was that poll done?

I have a lot of CDs and I like them, but you can also get them ripped into a single device in which case you can have hundreds of CDs worth of music to play at any time without needing to do any streaming.
Just read the first page, didn’t ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree. Who wants to look through CD's to find something to listen too? Can't even imagine having a stack of CD's in my car...and I have a CD player. (although it was removed the following model year). Proudly Gen X and I burned all my CD's to MP3 years ago...and gave all my CD's away to some young kid on Craigslist a few weeks ago.
My entire music collection is on my phone and I use Blue Tooth to listen to it. It's not just the techy thing to do... its insanely convenient.

As for his 7 in 10 stat:
CARS.COM — Don’t throw that compact disc into the dustbin of history just yet. (But fax machines, wood-paneled basements and “Jersey Shore” can stay there.) Seven in 10 car shoppers still want a CD player as part of the electronics that comprise their car stereo, according to a new survey of in-market consumers by IHS Markit. And of that subset, 75 percent think a CD player should be standard in a car.

https://www.cars.com/articles/car-cd...1420695800638/

From 2017. I bet that number is lower today. And gets lower every month.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
People are happiest when they can pay for something. Music streaming give them the opportunity to do that. Cable & satellite tv gives them the opportunity to pay for tv. No one wants free over the air tv or radio. You can own a physical copy of your music with a cd, vinyl record, or cassette tape.You have to pay to purchase it, but there is no opportunity to be billed monthly for it so it is seen as inferior.
could quite possibly be the silliest thing I've ever read on C-D. Top 3 at least.
Before "Music Streaming" you still had to BUY music. Unless you ONLY listened to the radio. Which many people did.
Music Streaming (Spotify) gives people the ability to access 40 MILLION songs for $10 / month. 1 CD... is $10.
Do you really see no value in that? 40,000,000 songs.
Cable TV gives people the opportunity to access much better and much more qulaity television programming then ever before.
Millions of people still listen to 'free radio' and watch 'free tv'. In fact with this whole cable cutting going on lately, more and more people are moving to OTA TV because they are tired of how much cable TV costs. You living in a cave?

Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,671 times
CD players! HAHA!! Needed a good laugh.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,825,438 times
Quote:
I have the majority on my side (most buyers DO want CD players), so you can call me antiquated all you want. LOL!

And car buyers most definitely want spare tires.
I wouldn't mind it, but even I went without one in my 08 cvpi, when I put a new stereo in it. Most audiophiles know CDs have the best sound, especially when talking about digital media, but I didn't want a book of CDs in my car and another reason for somebody to break in it. So I bought an hd bluetooth radio.

Some of us older millenials still have and still buy CDs. People throw the term "millenial" around so much, makes me wonder if they even know who they are.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
No spares on a SUV or Truck designed for offroad? hmm.....

Old 09-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
A lot of SUV's (and I'm talking about real SUV's not cross-overs) don't offer a full-size spare unless you pay extra as an option.

Getting away from the audio argument, what about floor mats? Most vehicles don't have floor mats, either carpet or rubber, as standard equipment anymore. You have to pay extra for them either singly or as part of an option package. Unlike certain audio components, I don't know anyone that doesn't want floor mats in their vehicle.
Who the hell is not offering floormats?! And I'm one of those people who don't like them. There'es already a floor and/or carpet.. I don't like sunvisors either. It's clutter.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you no longer own the CDs, you no longer have the right to use the music you ripped from them, and need to delete all the MP3s. At least that's the law. The license to listen th o th he music stays with the CD.
What?! GTFO with that lame ass bullspit Don't nobody care about that crap. Bwahahaha!
YoU nEeD tO DeLeTe AlL YoUr MuSiC BeCaUsE tHaTs iLlEgAl.

Of all the history of not caring about stuff; that's one thing people never cared about the most. People were more scared of getting a virus on Limewire or Napster, than the FBI siezing their computer or phone with a 5k fine and ten years in 'ol guantanimo. Oh yeah; thanks for the info Poindexter, I'll make sure to delete my thousands of songs. Pfft.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Proof people are stupid. Broadcast tv can get boring, I'd love to have cable or satelite, but it's too expensive and I'm not paying for it. I'm not paying to stream music either. I have Pandora and I only redownload it on my phone as another aid to find music to download for free. Physical music media seems inferior because you hafta have a lot of it and it can be an inconvienience especially if you only want to hear this one song because it was in the background of this netflix movie you watched last night. But streaming... you can hear in a ten .minute drive; 6 different songs by six different people. I do get it and you hafta pay the company for the service, who has to pay the artist and record company for the music.

What's really funny is dvds and blueray doesn't have this issue. Redbox is still making money. Sure you've got netflix, hulu, tererium tv, all that. Most people who have all that still has and buys dvds and such, since those shows and movies can quickly dissapear from any format, or might not even be offered on dvd. Example; Dukes of Hazard. You won't find that on any kinda tv service anymore. If you don't have that box set... you'll just never see it again except maybe on youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive