Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Vinyl record sales are surpassing CD sales this year. Personally I haven't had a CD in my fingers since 2011.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/viny...90percent.html
I was looking for that article! The only ones I could find were ones from a few years ago when CDs were selling 10x what vinyl did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
My new car doesn't even have a carburetor!

The nerve of these automakers!

Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Can anyone comprehend what is being stated?

So the engineers and designers started from scratch - purposely design out/remove/delete - a spare tire?

Isn't this insanity at it's best?
Yeah but it is part of a bigger game:

Less weight (no spare, no jack/wrench) = better performance and better fuel economy PLUS it saves them money.

I own a car with no spare, no run flats. When the car got tires last I saved one of the used ones and stuck it in my garage. If I got in a jam, I'd have a used tire to mount figuring it would likely be faster than waiting for an ordered one to come in. Well 18K miles later, still no flat so I have a used tire collecting dust in the corner of the garage.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:16 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
My new car doesn't even have a carburetor!

The nerve of these automakers!
Funny thing about carburetors, my buddy just bought a brand new motorcycle because it was carb'd. Why? He thinks he can fix it in the middle of the woods like he did in the 1970's. I argued that if he bought the fuel injected version he wouldn't have to fix it! Guy is a prepper type, starting to go crazy and this was just another off the wall decision.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Funny thing about carburetors, my buddy just bought a brand new motorcycle because it was carb'd. Why? He thinks he can fix it in the middle of the woods like he did in the 1970's. I argued that if he bought the fuel injected version he wouldn't have to fix it! Guy is a prepper type, starting to go crazy and this was just another off the wall decision.
Everyone likes a bit of nostalgia, but talking it to obsessive levels does make people crazy. Like the guy that buys "Motor Honey" at AutoZone because grandpa swore by it way back in the day on his 62 Plymouth (which of course we're the most reliable cars ever built and very easy to work on when you had to every Saturday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
Think that’s bad, mine doesn’t have an antenna (or as we called it back in the day, an Aerial).
The kind the car wash would take out? But they were so easy to replace! A few turns of a wrench and you were back to listening to the Lawrence Welk show!

Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
It's bad enough that most new cars no longer come with CD players. But what is worse is that most new cars don't even have spare tires!!!!!

Seems the more we have to pay for cars, the less we get.

They give us the obnoxious "lane-keep-assist" to keep us "safe", but won't give us a spare tire? (And while they are worrying about safety, quit integrating the heat and A/C controls into the entertainment system!)

Seems spares are even less likely to be found on high end cars! Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus all forego spares.

Having just had a flat in the middle of nowhere in Texas (on my 2011 Nissan), I can't imagine if I had been in that situation with no spare.

Am I not the only one who finds this outrageous?
That has been happening for about a decade or two. You either didn't have a spare or you had the doughnut. I saw several times cars with 2-3 of those spares on their cars. That tells you they were really stretched on funds.

I have a full sized spare...But then I have a 2005 Chevy Express...There's room underneath, but I'm looking at getting a tire holder for the rear.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
LOL. Yeah, it's shame alright. Damn 8-Track player isn't even available either! What's up with that?

Considering my last CD player broke down in (about) 2005, anyone handing me that kind of media just gets it handed right back. That garbage has been obsolete since at least then. This whole 'Cloud Services' thing is a fad though, don't you worry: it'll blow over. Any day now. (Waiting...)

You don't need a "spare tire", bunch of heavy dead weight. Some cars come with poly spares, other with flx a flat kids. Last car I saw with a regular spare wast he Land Cruiser sitting in my garage, but that thing's a tank at 5,800 lbs and everything's the literal best Toyota can build it. Otherwise, that's what someone invented AAA or Porsche Roadside or State Farm for. One call, people come take care of all that. I'm sure not going to deal with it. What, are cell phones going to blow over one of these days, too?

No one driving a Mercedes, BMW, or Infiniti is going to deal with greasy, dangerous, dead lifting with jacks BS out in a rain storm. Just make a call. All the above have roadside plans, I had Porsche roadside for ten years and now have a version from Ford Performance including flat bed towing.

Yes, you're the only one in Odessa who finds this outrageous.

Here we go again, a city-dweller who has no idea that many rural areas have zero cell phone service and even if you can call AAA, it may be hours for a tow truck to arrive and more hours while they deliver you and your vehicle some place where that flat can be fixed or replaced and more hours waiting for someone to do it. If you have a spare you can change it yourself in under an hour and take the flat to be fixed at your convenience.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Here we go again, a city-dweller who has no idea that many rural areas have zero cell phone service and even if you can call AAA, it may be hours for a tow truck to arrive and more hours while they deliver you and your vehicle some place where that flat can be fixed or replaced and more hours waiting for someone to do it. If you have a spare you can change it yourself in under an hour and take the flat to be fixed at your convenience.
Most cars I've encountered that don't come with a spare still have space for one and can be purchased as a dealer accessory ~$150. If you want one you can get one. Car would just cost $150 more if it was standard.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:00 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
It's bad enough that most new cars no longer come with CD players. But what is worse is that most new cars don't even have spare tires!!!!!

They give us the obnoxious "lane-keep-assist" to keep us "safe", but won't give us a spare tire? (And while they are worrying about safety, quit integrating the heat and A/C controls into the entertainment system!)

Seems spares are even less likely to be found on high end cars! Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus all forego spares.

Having just had a flat in the middle of nowhere in Texas (on my 2011 Nissan), I can't imagine if I had been in that situation with no spare.

First thing I got for my 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid, was a standard spare tire (the skinny one) that comes in 2018 Accords. Plus the stuff that holds it down in the trunk floor (all the attachments were still there), a simple jack, and a lug wrench.

The problem disappeared.

Next were the floor mats (Weathertech), seat covers, door guards, phone mount, and trunk tray.

And I didn't have to whine on City-data to do it.

As for "paying more"... that's for fuel injection, beams in the doors, super bumpers, catalytic converters, engine computer, 23-speaker stereo, killer-beam headlights, a dozen airbags, etc. etc. None of which were in cars 40 years ago... and most of which are now mandated by government.

BTW, a few of them actually make the car safer. And the rest don't.

BTBTW, I also took all my old CDs, downloaded them to hard disk (plus a bunch of audio tracks from Youtube videos), and then transferred them to a flash drive that plugs into the car's USB port. Couple hundred classical tunes, from Beethoven to Elgar to Handel to Janacek to Liszt to Mozart to Mussorgsky to Prokofiev to Ravel to Shostakovich to Tchaikovsky to Wagner. Now I never have to change CDs while driving.

Last edited by Roboteer; 09-18-2019 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:

My Lexus has a full size spare. It's a 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive