Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 05:59 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Do we have to have another thread about this? Jezuz H...…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 06:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
Quote:
Haven't heard you chime in for awhile, and you've yet again added nothing to the conversation.

Would honestly like to know your opinion on this matter.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Again, I'd honestly like opinions on this topic.

The dismissive BS comments really get old. Like do you really think you're adding anything to the conversation or changing anyone's mind? You're just showing that you have no opinion, nothing to say, and you want to ridicule other's that ACTUALLY want to have a conversation. Still can't fathom why, don't you have a life?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:13 PM

604 posts, read 653,606 times
You are wrong in your title: since when do the job the right way with good parts, you actually save customers money!
So your job the way you describe it, actually saves money in long run.

As they say: "you get what you pay for".

Like you, I'd never do a partial job for myself or anybody else, since I hate to waste money or time by purchasing/doing cheap things and/or service.

Last edited by 28079; 10-01-2019 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Again, I'd honestly like opinions on this topic.

The dismissive BS comments really get old. Like do you really think you're adding anything to the conversation or changing anyone's mind? You're just showing that you have no opinion, nothing to say, and you want to ridicule other's that ACTUALLY want to have a conversation. Still can't fathom why, don't you have a life?
My uncle use to own his own auto repair shop. Unlike yourself, he understood the truly poor customers who just needed their vehicle to last a bit longer. He offered them two options. Option 1 was a warranty on the part and repair job if they used the good quality parts. If they wanted to use the cheapest parts they could find and he knew they weren’t of good quality then he’d only offer them the warranty that comes with the part and tell them to keep all their paper work for when the part will fail. He’d even put it in writing and ask the customer to sign the document for self protection. Some folks truly can’t afford the better quality parts. Some are just too stupid or stubborn to understand and refuse to buy the quality parts even when they can afford to do so. You can either offer a similar proposal my uncle offered or you can send them to another shop.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My uncle use to own his own auto repair shop. Unlike yourself, he understood the truly poor customers who just needed their vehicle to last a bit longer. He offered them two options. Option 1 was a warranty on the part and repair job if they used the good quality parts. If they wanted to use the cheapest parts they could find and he knew they weren’t of good quality then he’d only offer them the warranty that comes with the part and tell them to keep all their paper work for when the part will fail. He’d even put it in writing and ask the customer to sign the document for self protection. Some folks truly can’t afford the better quality parts. Some are just too stupid or stubborn to understand and refuse to buy the quality parts even when they can afford to do so. You can either offer a similar proposal my uncle offered or you can send them to another shop.

If a part fails while still under warranty, the customer won't have to pay for a new part, but they will pay me for my labor in replacing said bad part.

I've heard this excuse time and time and time again, so much that it makes me sick. "I just need this vehicle to last X longer". Well, what are you going to do when that time comes? Start walking? Buy another beater with its own set of problems that need fixed (that you don't have money for, either). What are these people going to do?

They're going to keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again because people cater to them and their short sighted mentality. And they'll always expect the world to cut them a break because "times are tough". No, you're just a screw up that can't get their life together, and you need to be taught that lesson the hard way.

Having to go back in and "fix" something 10 times because you were too cheap/broke to just bite the bullet and fix it right the first time is both a waste of your time and mine, as well as your money, because you're either paying someone else to do the work or buying cheapo parts that amount to a bandaid on a bullet wound.

Don't have time for bottom feeders who think the world's dealt them a bad hand and it's "not their fault".

Old 10-01-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
You are wrong in your title: since when do the job the right way with good parts, you actually save customers money!
So your job the way you describe it, actually saves money in long run.

As they say: "you get what you pay for".

Like you, I'd never do a partial job for myself or anybody else, since I hate to waste money by purchasing cheap things and/or service.
The types of people I'm talking about can't see things that way. All they care about is the initial cost. They're the same type of people that would by $20 shoes that wear out every couple months instead of $100 shoes that'll last a couple years. It's short-sighted, penny pinching BS.

Gotta have money for that new cell phone or whatever other nonsense poor people waste their money on and then want to whine that "I'm so broke". No, you're irresponsible. I know everyone isn't rich, nor am I, but I understand that having a vehicle is going to cost you money somewhere down the line and you need to be prepared to deal with those expenses so they can be fixed once and fixed right.

You'll waste MUCH more money trying to jury-rig things that are broken rather than just biting the bullet and fixing it properly. I've seen it more times than I can count and it still makes me laugh because people are incapable of learning, even when the lesson is beaten into their heads.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:51 PM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
I also wonder how many threads he's going to start complaining about lousy customers who won't spend enough money with their mechanic. This isn't me - I do things "by the book". Still, I don't want to see the same complaint raised again and again by the same person with new threads being used to get attention. It's getting old.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Don't have time for bottom feeders who think the world's dealt them a bad hand and it's "not their fault".
Dude, we get it already. You're just too good for the "bottom feeders" But don't forget for every "bottom feeder" you turn away, there's a business that wouldn't condescend to let you mop their floors, never mind take your money.

Apparently that also goes for women.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Haven't heard you chime in for awhile, and you've yet again added nothing to the conversation.

Would honestly like to know your opinion on this matter.
I don't need to give you my opinion, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive