Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 02:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
The public has this perception that everything should cost less always, and will whine and cry about the price no matter what you quote them and see themselves as being ripped off.
You're right, but you can't really change that. It's just something you have to accept as a fact of life. Maybe you can convince people individually about specific repairs, but you're not going to change society at large so there's no sense in getting yourself worked up over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 03:06 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
You're right, but you can't really change that. It's just something you have to accept as a fact of life. Maybe you can convince people individually about specific repairs, but you're not going to change society at large so there's no sense in getting yourself worked up over it.
My whole thing is that the same people who whine and cry about things being too expensive, then buy poor quality junk (or workmanship), are disappointed with it, yet never learn and still go back to that “cheap is all that matters” mentality. The hell with quality and longevity, we want the lowest price!

That’s the very definition of insanity (or stupidity): doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

That idea carries over into my other threads, that the average person never learns from their mistakes (or those of others) and makes the same mistake over and over, and the lesson never sinks in. Bottom line, don’t be “normal”, be better than that.

Intelligence is definitely lacking with society at large, although this thread shows me that some people, like you, “get it”.

The types that never learn this lesson deserve to be exactly where they are: frustrated and disappointed. They quite literally need this lesson beaten into their heads with tough love and denial of service. Stop catering to morons.

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 10-23-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-23-2019, 03:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I have a problem with customers who think that auto mechanics are somehow “beneath” other trades and think that they’re beneath paying a fair price for services rendered. They don’t understand the investment and overhead that a shop/mechanic has, likely because they’re still stuck in the mentality that all it takes is a dumbaxx with a hammer and a crescent wrench to fix their vehicle and that “mechanics charge too much/are a ripoff”.

I don’t hear this type of complaining about plumbers, electricians, HVAC work, etc. who charge similar hourly labor rates. The public perception of mechanics needs to catch up with the times. No pro mechanic can slap a set of pads on your car for $25 (or whatever other lowball price people think they “deserve” for whatever reason) and make a living. My time, skills, tools and knowledge are not free, and I’m not going to entertain customers that come at me with the idea that I’m some kind of con artist that’s overcharging them. Nope, see ya, I’ll cater to people that know the value of a good mechanic.

There’s enough hacks out there that will not only do it for peanuts and undercut their own industry, but will likely do improper work that’s needs redone later because of someone’s desire to save a buck. Competency costs money.

Does a dentist do work “on the side”? Then don’t expect a mechanic to. If you’re willing to pay the going rate for services rendered we can talk. The ones who want work done for next to nothing? Call up your “buddy” who’ll do it in your driveway for a case of beer.
Oh Jesus. If you think mechanics is bad try the trades for a while. You’ll wanna go back to mechanics.

People are always gonna complain and want something cheaper. Get used to it

Old 10-23-2019, 10:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
They complain about how their employer is cheap and not paying them enough for their work even if they are being paid at say $60,000 per year. Then turn around and expect people in the trades, to work for peanuts.

They don't accept the fact, while they spent 4 years getting a college degree the people in the trades took classes, and spent 4 years learning their trade at low pay, and in some situations have to be licensed by the state after being tested to perform their job.

They think just because they went to college, they deserve high pay. On the other hand if someone in the trades has to spend 4 or more years as an apprentice, to learn their job, take classes at trade schools, junior college etc., are inferior to themselves, and should work for cheap wages.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Oh Jesus. If you think mechanics is bad try the trades for a while. You’ll wanna go back to mechanics.

People are always gonna complain and want something cheaper. Get used to it
Nah they just need to get used to the fact that PRICES ARE NOT GOING DOWN ON ANYTHING!

The worst are the whiners who, for instance, whine when the gas station raises the price of a cup of coffee by 25 cents or something insignificant like that. Like really? **** you cheapskate.

The incessant conversations about the days of yore where x cost this and y cost that and now it’s too expensive are, and have always been BS.

I hear guys all the time talking about older vehicles where (I could get a water pump for my old 350 for like $30). Yeah true but back then you weren’t making the wages you make now, and wages across the board were lower. When looking at inflation the relative price of everything has basically stayed the same. Why the average person isn’t smart enough to figure this out is beyond me. I had that figured out before graduating high school.

I don’t have time for that small talk type of bxtching that so many people love to carry on about. They’re stupid and have no desire to learn just how stupid they are or that whining and crying about the price does NOTHING to lower it. Either pay the higher cost or do without, but please **** about how everything is “so expensive”. I don’t wanna hear it because it’s BS.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
They complain about how their employer is cheap and not paying them enough for their work even if they are being paid at say $60,000 per year. Then turn around and expect people in the trades, to work for peanuts.

They don't accept the fact, while they spent 4 years getting a college degree the people in the trades took classes, and spent 4 years learning their trade at low pay, and in some situations have to be licensed by the state after being tested to perform their job.

They think just because they went to college, they deserve high pay. On the other hand if someone in the trades has to spend 4 or more years as an apprentice, to learn their job, take classes at trade schools, junior college etc., are inferior to themselves, and should work for cheap wages.
That’s part of it too. They don’t think a “lowly” mechanic is worth what they charge because they’re clueless as to the amount of investment involved just to do what we do. There are few, if any, trades that require the amount of tools needed just to do our jobs, and that’s just the basics. Not even talking about special tools.

Basically the general public is stupid, uneducated and has no desire to learn or change. It’s sad really.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
You could have fixed a couple of cars on the side in the time you've wasted ranting in this thread.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You could have fixed a couple of cars on the side in the time you've wasted ranting in this thread.
You’re basically saying what I’ve said has no value.

I think the point I’m making is very pertinent and something nobody else is talking about. It’s something that every member of society needs to read and take to heart:

The never ending quest to find the cheapest whatever is only setting yourself up for disappoint, so don’t be surprised if you cheap out and aren’t satisfied. They need to learn from it and change their behavior in the future if they want things to change.

Or they can keep whining and crying that everything costs too much, keep cheating out, and keep being perpetually pissed of.

I think we all know what the dumb, unwashed masses are going to do.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
You’re basically saying what I’ve said has no value.

I think the point I’m making is very pertinent and something nobody else is talking about. It’s something that every member of society needs to read and take to heart:

The never ending quest to find the cheapest whatever is only setting yourself up for disappoint, so don’t be surprised if you cheap out and aren’t satisfied. They need to learn from it and change their behavior in the future if they want things to change.

Or they can keep whining and crying that everything costs too much, keep cheating out, and keep being perpetually pissed of.

I think we all know what the dumb, unwashed masses are going to do.
It doesn't have any value. Nothing in these forums really does. You aren't changing anyone's minds here much less the world. Post here for your own entertainment but don't delude yourself that you are accomplishing anything. If you had spent your time doing a couple of brake jobs on the side, you'd have a couple hundred dollars more in your pocket and might have learned something new.

The never ending quest to contain costs and fight against increases is what keeps the system competitive and efficient. It's how the free markets work.

In this case, there are plenty of people that make the short-term patch repair or go with the cheaper repair and everything works out great. You only hear about the ones that don't. If ten people go with a cheaper part and one has issues, that is the only one you'll ever hear from. You're drawing big conclusions based on a skewed perspective.

I think I'm older and wiser and more successful and don't need you to tell me about how life works.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It doesn't have any value. Nothing in these forums really does. You aren't changing anyone's minds here much less the world. Post here for your own entertainment but don't delude yourself that you are accomplishing anything. If you had spent your time doing a couple of brake jobs on the side, you'd have a couple hundred dollars more in your pocket and might have learned something new.

The never ending quest to contain costs and fight against increases is what keeps the system competitive and efficient. It's how the free markets work.

In this case, there are plenty of people that make the short-term patch repair or go with the cheaper repair and everything works out great. You only hear about the ones that don't. If ten people go with a cheaper part and one has issues, that is the only one you'll ever hear from. You're drawing big conclusions based on a skewed perspective.

I think I'm older and wiser and more successful and don't need you to tell me about how life works.
What you’re saying is “I’m old and already know everything, I’m not open to new ideas.”

And I’ve “learned” about doing side work, as in learned it’s not worth the hassle. I won’t even touch on the legal liability you’re opening yourself up to, the people who want side work are the lowest of the low.

They not only think they’re above paying shop rates (that’s why they want it done under the table), but they’re also the same type of slime balls that will call you bxtching 6 months later when something else breaks and you get the old “Ever since you..”. Or want you to reuse worn out parts because “I can’t afford to fix that right now. Or (here’s where the legal liability comes in) try and sue you if they have an accident and will come back and blame you because (surprise surprise) they’re dirtballs who have nothing and want something for nothing.

So it’s either “on the books” or it’s not getting done by me. No desire to lose my livelihood because some idiot wants to save a buck. Not gonna happen.

And as far as my posts not accomplishing anything, so be it. I don’t expect to change the mind of the brainless masses because you’ve got to have a mind to change first. I wonder how some of these morons dress themselves on the morning based on some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths. Stupidity makes me more angry than anything else.

BTW, all that driving prices down ensures is that cheap morons will get subpar goods at lower prices. Because apparently price is all that matters to the average dipshxt walking down the street.

The truth hurts, but someone’s gotta say it. Guess I’m the guy who’s gotta break it to people just how stupid they really are.

And also, just because you’ve gotten older doesn’t mean you’re any wiser, just that you’ve aged. If you’ve spent your life with a closed mind and never thought you needed to learn anything new, you’re no smarter than a young person. Just have this built up idea in your head that “I’m older so I must be wiser”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive