Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,063,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Yeah, that worked really well for Russia. The problem isn't the oil companies. The problem is that demand in rising faster than supply. Plus the decline of the dollar. Plus a bit of commodity speculation.

If my neighborhood becomes trendy and housing prices skyrocket due to increased demand and limited supply, are you going to tell me how much profit I'm allowed to make when I sell my house?
Different animal all together. The country doesn't crash and burn if your house doesn't sell but for sure will if the cost of transport drives everything needed to survive out of the reach of most people.
I'm not suggesting a total takeover but a partial takeover. I would also like to see oil removed from the futures market so the speculation stops and a suspension of the gas tax until supply can be addressed.
I would also suggest an emergency refinery build or mass expansion be done and tell the EPA to shut up/relax for the time being (just about the refinery).
It's not so much we don't have oil, we do, just no real way to transform it into fuel.
I'd also make the oil companies PROVE they need to shut down a refinery prior to doing so to stop the game of creating a shortage or fine the snot out of them/jail them if caught.
Bottom line is the cost of fuel is now severely affecting the cost of goods and it's not going to get better anytime soon. I'm not talking about plasma tv's, I'm talking milk and eggs! We also need to nix this stupid program of corn/grain based fuels, it's killing the food supply. Build a few nuke reactors for starters...
The people on fixed income can't take too many more hits nor can the underemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
I saw Boone pickens the other day on TV. He says our entergy policy is politically driven. He says we need to shift to necular ;wind and clean coal for electricity and shift natural gas to transportation.Methonol cost more energy to produce than it makes according to him and effects other prices.But in the end we have waited too long to affect the near future as it will take about ten years to get a necular power plant up and running;same goesd for clean burning coal fired plants.Forget the government taking over oil as they can screw anything up. Besides gas is pretty cheap here in the US compared to many foreign countries. UK like $8.80 per gallon last I checked.Also no one is going to build a new refinery because it coast too much ;can't be estimated hjow long it will take and isn't really needed anyway since many are expending now but that will take ten years itself. Evenually it would also be a waste of investor money as crude is limited and alternatives are the future like it or not . They will also be expensive;maybe more than oilo.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,068,038 times
If you get rid of gas speculators, it will just hurt the long term economy. Speculators are a necessary part of the market, as long as they don't get too carried away. Right now there is real demand globally for oil and no amount of refining or drilling in the US is going to change that any more than spitting in the ocean. The US should focus on the only thing we can control- the demand side.

I for one think the government should place a price floor of $3.50- $4 a gallon on gasoline and diesel fuel, using excise taxes. That way it will encourage people to take conservation seriously and will create a more steady, predictable price for consumers and business. The excess would be for the sole purpose of funding of local and regional public transportation, non-recreational bicycle paths, and pedestrian facilities such as sidewalks.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:12 PM

77 posts, read 322,018 times
Default Orlando's highest!?

Mickey Mouse can't afford to fill up anymore...
Attached Thumbnails
News, Gas prices pass .40 a gallon, are expected to rise higher.-gas_price.jpg  

Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,314,750 times
gased up my bike today and it's 3.69. their talking here by the begining of summer it's going to be 4.00 a gallon. glad i own a bike.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,787,538 times
Isn't this great? I love the gas prices!!! I am looking for a geo metro!!! This really sucks. They need to do something about this. Of course they won't.................

Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,063,534 times
And to add to it now it's flour,rice and cooking oil rationing according to NBC news tonight.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,699,968 times
Oh yeah....because of these freakin` gas prices, cost of everything else is going sky high!! I am just amazed, everytime I go to the store, just from week to week! The prices are jumping at least 10-15 cents, on everything!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 PM

691 posts, read 1,428,997 times
**** this, this summer I am getting rid of my grand cherokee and I am buying a Camry, I just hope now that my SUV doesnt become worthless as a result

Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,225,196 times
I just keep telling my self its more expensive in europe...

At least my Focus wagon does 30+mpg...yey...suv utility with out the crappy handling :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive