Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 AM

686 posts, read 805,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I bet you hate Carmax no haggle prices.
They are way too high. I love the concept and would pay a little more for it but most of the time their prices are so far out of line. The van I bought in this scenario was $3-4K less out the door than the no haggle asking price of carmax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Seriously?

Your trying to compare the guy who makes a home (and manages everyone involved) not to mention often taking the financial risk with the guy who gets fronted on credit a already complete (and advertised for them) complete product (that he can return to the 'builder ') to sell!!!?!?!?e

Let's see, I compared to furniture, phones, appliances, and a few other things and was told they weren't apples because they were less costly so I used homes which are more costly. How about you find a comparable apple?

Old 10-10-2019, 07:04 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You made a claim so why won’t you answer which dealership is moving 600 units on average a month in NC?
I'd be surprised if Hendrick didn't move way more than that.
His group has 30K vehicles in stock.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'd be surprised if Hendrick didn't move way more than that.
His group has 30K vehicles in stock.

The commentary was a f&i manager and the sales at her dealership so I wasn’t taking it as a group of dealerships. 600 units at a single dealership would be a very high number

Old 10-10-2019, 12:02 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
There’s ways to avoids dealers. Buy lightly used cars from Carvana, and the other places that avoid stealership tactics. If they try to charge a $800 documentation fee, laugh and walk out. Eventually they’ll have to change if enough people avoid them.
Carvana is a joke too. Had two close relatives buy from them summer 2019 and both took weeks of delay before they finally received their cars. Delay after excuse after delay after excuse. Taking time off work to wait for a delivery only to have it cancelled. "Truck broke down", blah, blah, blah.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM

83 posts, read 67,545 times
Do all negotiation via email, once they get you into the dealership to negotiate you lost, you are dealing with pros that know how to push your buttons.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
Do all negotiation via email, once they get you into the dealership you lost, you are dealing with pros that know how to push your buttons.
Sounds good in theory, but you can't get the same rock bottom price you can get in person. If you physically go into the dealership with a checkbook ready to buy, they will work hard to stop you from leaving without a purchase. Online you can't ever get to that price. You have to be willing to negotiate and walk if required - but if you have money in hand you have leverage.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 10-10-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Beginning July 1, 2017, people who purchase vehicles in South Carolina will owe a new type of fee instead of paying a sales tax.

Due to legislation commonly referred to as the Roads Bill, if you buy or lease a vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, or other automobile on and after July 1, 2017 that will be titled and/or registered in this state, you will owe an Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF) instead of sales tax. The IMF is in addition to applicable title and registration fees and property taxes. You will not be able to title or register the item until you pay the IMF.

The amount of IMF you owe is based on the sale price of the item you buy. You will owe 5% of the purchase price, but it will be no more than $500. If you purchase an item that is $9,999 or less, your IMF will be 5% of the sale price. If it is $10,000 or more, you will only owe $500.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:02 PM

83 posts, read 67,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Sounds good in theory, but you can't get the same rock bottom price you can get in person. If you physically go into the dealership with a checkbook ready to buy, they will work hard to stop you from leaving without a purchase. Online you can't ever get to that price. You have to be willing to negotiate and walk if required - but if you have money in hand you have leverage.
I find I am too susceptible to their tactics though. Online I don't ask for their "best price" or some nonsense like that. I go to the dealerships to test drive, find what I like, then go back to my house and email dealers with very specific info (which they love) like "Hi, I am joepierson, I test drove your car last week I will buy VIN #XYZ for $21000 out the door today". That way they know I am serious, if you say "what is your best price", they will completely ignore you.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Why can't we just order new cars online at fixed prices like we buy everything else? I always come away feeling like I got ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive