Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 11:11 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,959,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
Stop your nonsense. I have both year RAV 4s in my family parked side by side.
25,000 on the 2018, 5000 on the 2019
They are both solid dependable vehicles.
No issues with either one.

Your other nonsense regarding more MPG, less reliability is just incorrect.
MPG has been increasing along with better reliability for decades.
Even over 95% of American cars can run for 25,000 trouble-free miles after 1 year. What's your point?

Because you're bias and a fan of Toyota, only you will say such things. Don't worry, I see it all the time. You would need to wait for over 15 years to see for yourself, then all the lightweight Toyota vehicles don't hold up on durability as well as some American cars. If you don't keep for over 15 years and over 200,000 miles. then your response is not valid.

It is well-documented, according to motorreviewer.com. "Toyota engines are not rebuildable," whle Ford Fusion S (Mazda) engine is always rebuildable and can last beyond 300,000 miles. Overall, motorreviewer.com gave a better review on Mazda engines than Toyota engines, without any bias, remember that, and I believe it completely, due to "more MPG = less durable" within same model year (not 1983), after intensive research at carcomplaints.com as well.

Last edited by waltchan; 10-26-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-26-2019, 01:03 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,878,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Even over 95% of American cars can run for 25,000 trouble-free miles after 1 year. What's your point?

Because you're bias and a fan of Toyota, only you will say such things. Don't worry, I see it all the time. You would need to wait for over 15 years to see for yourself, then all the lightweight Toyota vehicles don't hold up on durability as well as some American cars. If you don't keep for over 15 years and over 200,000 miles. then your response is not valid.
Sounds a bit like your Mazda reliability claim - cite your source, otherwise also invalid.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:22 PM

996 posts, read 381,592 times
Quote:

It is well-documented, according to motorreviewer.com. "Toyota engines are not rebuildable," whle Ford Fusion S (Mazda) engine is always rebuildable and can last beyond 300,000 miles. Overall, motorreviewer.com gave a better review on Mazda engines than Toyota engines, without any bias, remember that, and I believe it completely, due to "more MPG = less durable" within same model year (not 1983), after intensive research at carcomplaints.com as well.
Being that the average age of an American car is 10 years old, 15 years would seem to be much more than the shelf life.

My point is that I have exact experience with the RAV 4. As a matter of fact ,the 2018 model came about with a trade in with a 2016. I have also mentioned that within my family there is currently a 2018 Highlander, 2018 Corolla , 2016 Camry and a 2006 Honda .

You may perceive bias towards Toyota on my part, but I consider specific experience over many decades with various Toyotas as knowledge regarding the brand. Toyota products consistently maintain high resale value for the majority of models . I have also owned other makes of cars in my life time. Regarding this topic, without a doubt the Mazda ,honda and Subarus appear to be sound choices for those buyers that make their own decisions.

But to call the 2019 RAV 4 “ trashy” is completely uncalled for, without any supporting facts besides a tiny number of dissatisfied customers. A hundred or so “ complaints “ considering there are several hundred thousand vehicles on the road hardly qualifies for consideration for discussion.

“ Toyota engines are not rebuildable “ Well that’s their opinion, but I would ask you for the pertinence of that statement as the percentage of automobile owners that actually have their engines rebuilt is tiny. Regarding carcomplaints.com only dissatisfied owners voluntarily post their opinions . It is not a broad based spectrum of owners, only the complainers. That information is therefore pretty much worthless.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,809,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im thinking maybe tomorrow morning popping into a bmw dealer to test drive the x2m.
the dealer didnt have any x2's available for me to drive so i just drove the x1. i actually liked it a lot. i would like to drive an x2m though. i was able to sit in one they had in the show room, seemed a lot like the x1 only lower ceiling.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:06 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,752,131 times
My observation is that Mazda makes a lot of good product, especially for the Japanese domestic market. In the US, their styling is fantastic, inside and out. However, the previous gen of the CX-5 and some other (CX-9 for sure) models for the NA market had engineering issues with their engines (not all, but enough to scare people off) and most definitely brake feel / longevity. Would I buy a Mazda? Most definitely the Series 3 AWD 5 door. Series 6 sedan (and wagon in other markets)? Yes. But the CXs? Not sure. They do have a compelling platform, design, etc but I am still not convinced of their long term cost of ownership and possibly reliability.

I didn't read all the posts but I would agree the RAV4, last gen or this gen, is a good product. A bit high of a price point for the class, but it is a solid vehicle. Honestly, though, given the cost of these cars I would look at the Lexus NX (even better as a CPO vehicle). Fantastic product that will last basically forever and you get what you pay for. Not entirely convinced that the top end price of the latest RAV4 is really right given the Lexus prices.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:17 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,878,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
My observation is that Mazda makes a lot of good product, especially for the Japanese domestic market. In the US, their styling is fantastic, inside and out. However, the previous gen of the CX-5 and some other (CX-9 for sure) models for the NA market had engineering issues with their engines (not all, but enough to scare people off) and most definitely brake feel / longevity.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Where I going specifically was the claim that in Japan "Mazda builds the most-reliable vehicles in Japan after Lexus".

Poster waltchan, who from his posts appears to likes to stir the s***, cannot cite a source for his opinion, other than CS, which is a US-based publication, which has no relevance in Japan to my knowledge, and as I know from your posts that you with your Japan and Japan maker experience, and me with the former, that Mazda, in Japan, while perhaps not at the Nissan level, is not considered as reliable as other domestic makes.

If my understanding about that is wrong I'd like to know.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:03 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,959,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
Being that the average age of an American car is 10 years old, 15 years would seem to be much more than the shelf life.

My point is that I have exact experience with the RAV 4. As a matter of fact ,the 2018 model came about with a trade in with a 2016. I have also mentioned that within my family there is currently a 2018 Highlander, 2018 Corolla , 2016 Camry and a 2006 Honda .

You may perceive bias towards Toyota on my part, but I consider specific experience over many decades with various Toyotas as knowledge regarding the brand. Toyota products consistently maintain high resale value for the majority of models . I have also owned other makes of cars in my life time. Regarding this topic, without a doubt the Mazda ,honda and Subarus appear to be sound choices for those buyers that make their own decisions.

But to call the 2019 RAV 4 “ trashy” is completely uncalled for, without any supporting facts besides a tiny number of dissatisfied customers. A hundred or so “ complaints “ considering there are several hundred thousand vehicles on the road hardly qualifies for consideration for discussion.

“ Toyota engines are not rebuildable “ Well that’s their opinion, but I would ask you for the pertinence of that statement as the percentage of automobile owners that actually have their engines rebuilt is tiny. Regarding carcomplaints.com only dissatisfied owners voluntarily post their opinions . It is not a broad based spectrum of owners, only the complainers. That information is therefore pretty much worthless.
I prefer not to argue with you and compare the main differences between Mazda and Toyota. They are both excellent car brands with good reliability records, historically.

In the meantime, I prefer to consult with this more accurate list below instead for longest-lasting vehicles you can buy today as new:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/56489679-post70.html

My top, most favorite, most-durable NEW vehicles you can buy today (not in order) that can easily last for 20 years or more are:

Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6
Toyota Highlander 2.7L I4
Toyota Tacoma 2.7L I4
Ford Fusion/Escape 2.5L I4
Any Chrysler models with 5.7L V8 OHV HEMI
Any Big 3 HD pickup with V8 OHV
Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 4.3L V6 OHV
Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon 5.3L V8 w/ 6-speed
Chevrolet Impala 2.5L I4
Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
Buick Cascada
GMC Acadia/Buick Envision 2.5L I4 w/ 6-speed
Buick Encore/Chevrolet Trax/Chevrolet Sonic 1.4L I4 turbo 138 HP
Ford Transit 3.7L V6
Honda Pilot 3.5L V6 w/ 6-speed
Audi A4/A5/Q3 2.0L I4 turbo
Volkswagen Passat 3.6L V6
Dodge Journey 2.4L I4
Lincoln Continental 3.7L V6
Nissan 370Z 3.7L V6
Infiniti Q70 3.7L V6

All of these vehicles listed above have some hints of overengineering, more-durable, heavier curb-weight design. If you don't see a car that you like listed above, it is not gold-certified by me yet, or has suspected durability-design issue (including best-selling Ford F-150). I am very proud of this list above with 200% confidence and satisfaction guaranteed that even Consumer Reports can't even nailed these accurately.

If you have any question on one car model listed above, I'll be happy to give you an expert answer why.

Last edited by waltchan; 10-27-2019 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 04:18 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
I prefer not to argue with you and compare the main differences between Mazda and Toyota. They are both excellent car brands with good reliability records, historically.

In the meantime, I prefer to consult with this more accurate list below instead for longest-lasting vehicles you can buy today as new:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/56489679-post70.html

My top, most favorite, most-durable NEW vehicles you can buy today (not in order) that can easily last for 20 years or more are:

Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6
Toyota Highlander 2.7L I4
Toyota Tacoma 2.7L I4
Ford Fusion/Escape 2.5L I4
Any Chrysler models with 5.7L V8 OHV HEMI
Any Big 3 HD pickup with V8 OHV
Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 4.3L V6 OHV
Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon 5.3L V8 w/ 6-speed
Chevrolet Impala 2.5L I4
Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
Buick Cascada
GMC Acadia/Buick Envision 2.5L I4 w/ 6-speed
Buick Encore/Chevrolet Trax/Chevrolet Sonic 1.4L I4 turbo 138 HP
Ford Transit 3.7L V6
Honda Pilot 3.5L V6 w/ 6-speed
Audi A4/A5/Q3 2.0L I4 turbo
Volkswagen Passat 3.6L V6
Dodge Journey 2.4L I4
Lincoln Continental 3.7L V6
Nissan 370Z 3.7L V6
Infiniti Q70 3.7L V6

All of these vehicles listed above have some hints of overengineering, more-durable, heavier curb-weight design. If you don't see a car that you like listed above, it is not gold-certified by me yet, or has suspected durability-design issue (including best-selling Ford F-150). I am very proud of this list above with 200% confidence and satisfaction guaranteed that even Consumer Reports can't even nailed these accurately.

If you have any question on one car model listed above, I'll be happy to give you an expert answer why.
This is kind of nonsense. You can get 20 years out of most cars if you maintain them properly. There’s no reason a poverty spec Hyundai Accent can’t go 20/250,000 if you maintain it. There are some exceptions that make the “do not buy” list but most new cars will go 150,000 miles without anything expensive going wrong and can go another 100k if they’re not driven hard and are maintained properly.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:22 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,687,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Why are you so scared?
Because my main goal is longevity and reliability, and I'm not convinced the CX-5 (or any Mazda) falls into that spectrum. No one has been able to prove it either since it hasn't been around that long. It seems all the positive feedback about the CX-5 is mainly focused on performance and how it drives, but I'd love it if I'm wrong.

Mazda builds the most-reliable vehicles in Japan after Lexus. Don't forget Mazda CX-5 has a better resale value than Toyota Camry.
Do you have facts to back up those claims?

I'm glad to hear you're finally starting to listen.
Don't get too excited. I only said I'd test drive it.
I may still end up buying a Camry, but I'm tired of not getting any concrete answers as to when it will be actually available so I figured I might as well look at the CX-5 and maybe other cars.
My 1st reply I said I had a cypress green 2002 Mazda Tribute that was totaled in April 2017 but it was still perfect and a great running car. It still looked brand new. It was a rare color which I loved

My son had a 2005 Mazda 3 in that hot blue which also turned out to be a rare color, he too loved his when his got totaled a few months after mine. He hit a flash flood, motor got a bath.

The fact that I had a 15 year old Trib, my son had a 12 year old 3 mean nothing?

I also bought a 2015 CX-5 in the medium blue. I got the medium blue because I don't see many that color.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,743,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My 1st reply I said I had a cypress green 2002 Mazda Tribute that was totaled in April 2017 but it was still perfect and a great running car. It still looked brand new. It was a rare color which I loved

My son had a 2005 Mazda 3 in that hot blue which also turned out to be a rare color, he too loved his when his got totaled a few months after mine. He hit a flash flood, motor got a bath.

The fact that I had a 15 year old Trib, my son had a 12 year old 3 mean nothing?

I also bought a 2015 CX-5 in the medium blue. I got the medium blue because I don't see many that color.
Wasn't that Tribute basically a rebadged Ford Escape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive