Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Search for you tube videos about the AWD system in snow and ice. It's supposed to be an advanced system. I saw a few Alaska videos where they only drove Mazdas.
thanks, i will do that. that is important to me.

so i drove the volvo cx40 t5 instead of the cx5 (still plan to drive the cx when i have a chance). it was different from the bmw x1 but im not great at explaining how. im not a car guy so i just said that the volvo felt more zippy while the bmw felt more torquey. but that may not be useful.

im not really sure which one is a better fit for me, i like them both so far.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:54 PM

23,901 posts, read 33,675,718 times
This is an old article. The you tube videos I saw were end of 2018 or 2019

Mazda’s i-Activ predictive AWD

Which compact SUV has the best all-wheel-drive system for snow and ice? By Bill Howard on February 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Quote:
Among affordable compact SUVs, Mazda crossovers with i-Activ AWD show themselves to be on equal footing with Subaru and better in some cases. Here’s what I found.

Mazda’s i-Activ predictive AWD

Mazda has introduced a predictive form of all-wheel-drive on its subcompact (CX-3) and compact (CX-5) crossover SUVs. It will also be on the next generation full-size Mazda CX-9 crossover later this year. Normally the i-Activ system delivers 98% of the power to the front wheels. An array of sensors looks for impending tire slip and begins to shift power to the rear wheels before the driver notices.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:11 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,773,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
That's correct, 2000 Pathfinder/QX4 peaked the absolute-highest for Nissan's reliability recorded in history by Consumer Reports. I'm a huge fan of this vehicle too. I owned one before as used that had 345,000 miles.

They are no longer in production for 20 years now, so only Nissan Frontier, Nissan 370Z, and Infiniti Q70 you can buy new today. They are all very good and durable still, but not as good as the old 2000 Pathfinder/QX4 before, since it had a cast-iron engine block, in addition to Japan that used to take more pride in quality with thorough-testing vs. today.

We are approaching the future where "new cars don't last as long as the old ones," which applies to all automakers except Big 3 HD pickup trucks, which still retain their cast-iron engine block.
First you say Nissan reliability has gone downhill since 2001, then you move the goalposts and say "Oh yeah, the Frontier, 370Z and Q70 are reliable". Gold certified with near zero complaints after 10 years. You are contradicting yourself, this is how you lose credibility. Don't state one thing then say something else.

Quote:
The last time Nissan really built a super-reliable vehicle was the 2000 Pathfinder or 2000 QX4 with 3.3L V6 engine. Since then, every Nissan/Infiniti models have gone downhill in reliability, and none of the newer ones since 2001 model year rate higher in reliability by Consumer Reports than these two vehicles above.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 10-31-2019 at 01:19 AM..

Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 AM

9,383 posts, read 7,011,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
First you say Nissan reliability has gone downhill since 2001, then you move the goalposts and say "Oh yeah, the Frontier, 370Z and Q70 are reliable". Gold certified with near zero complaints after 10 years. You are contradicting yourself, this is how you lose credibility. Don't state one thing then say something else.
Overall Nissan reliability has taken a crap relative to how it used to be ranked against other brands. The brand also is boring, dusty, and tired compared to where it was 10 years ago. There was a time that Nissan was a leader in design and innovation coming from Japan. Then they chose a low rent CVT approach and flushed themselves down the toilet since. Even Infiniti is a redudant irrelevant brand much like Acura. At least Acura has the MDX/RDX which saves them a bit.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:59 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,773,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Overall Nissan reliability has taken a crap relative to how it used to be ranked against other brands. The brand also is boring, dusty, and tired compared to where it was 10 years ago. There was a time that Nissan was a leader in design and innovation coming from Japan. Then they chose a low rent CVT approach and flushed themselves down the toilet since. Even Infiniti is a redudant irrelevant brand much like Acura. At least Acura has the MDX/RDX which saves them a bit.
I can't disagree with Nissan's reputation, though my only personal experience is with Frontiers. Generally OK, but the two wheel drive V6s may have an issue with sagging front springs. I did have a Maxima back in 1991 and that was pretty good. But it's hard for me to get excited about their product line now. My friend had a Murano when CVTs first came out and the transmission lasted 80,000 miles. He managed to get the car to the dealership for a trade in when he bought a new car...

Old 10-31-2019, 01:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,957,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Correct, that's why 2000 Pathfinder/QX4 peaked the highest in Nissan's history for reliability, comfort, and innovation. None of the newer Nissan/Infiniti vehicles made since 2001 year were rated higher in reliability than these two. CVT transmission is largely to blame too.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I clearly wrote "new" vehicles only. Some people only buy new, so I can only recommend Frontier, 370Z, and Q70, because 2000 Pathfinder/QX4 is no longer produced. Unless you want me to change my listing and include both new and used?

There's no need for you to argue on this matter, and this fact is completely valid and truthful. All of these three models have very-high reliability/durability ratings if one driver is looking for "new".

Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
It's not my most favorite, actually. I trust Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid 1.8L with its cast-iron engine block before the Kia Cadenza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Medium_Gasoline_Engine

Thumbs up by me... , ahead of Toyota and Honda.
I wasn't aware that Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid is already discontinued for 2020 model year, until today.

https://www.motor1.com/news/371602/c...d-killed-2020/

This news shows you clearly that it is more HARDER to get a durable, longest-lasting vehicle you like, due to lack of supply and inventory available. Auto manufacturers are only interested in giving you everyday Camry-specs with cheap plastics, and not necessary most-durable. They are not interested in giving you a cast-iron engine block, heavy-duty interior materials, and all the generous overengineered stuff.

Last edited by waltchan; 11-01-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM

So, my favorite car engine (which I think is more-reliable and durable than Toyota and Honda due to its cast-iron block) is no longer available for the United States after Buick Cascada and Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid gone. Only Europe left...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Medium_Gasoline_Engine

Bummer...

Last edited by waltchan; 11-01-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Looks like Chevrolet Impala 4-cylinder has an excellent reliability rating by carcomplaints.com (without any bias on brand):

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/

Not bad... 2020 will be the final model year (V6 only). I continue to maintain my truth that go Japanese is a big waste of time and energy now, and "more MPG = less durable" commonly found in Japanese vehicles.

Last edited by waltchan; 11-03-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive