Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle?
Price 33 30.56%
Performance 2 1.85%
Convenience/Logistics (range anxiety, lack of charging spots, etc) 58 53.70%
Other (please specify) 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,575 times

Advertisements

Gasoline has a massive infrastructure that must be replaced in order for electric vehicles to supplant the internal combustion engine.

When an electric vehicle can get a three hundred mile charge in ten minutes or less on virtually every street corner in the US, then the gasoline-powered vehicle may see its end in sight. Until then, my daily driver will have spark plugs instead of an extension cord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Logistics and Convenience. No public charging stations in my hometown, none on my commute to work, and none at work. Shockingly - I work at a Nuclear Power Plant!

Both our sons live in Pittsburgh, and the drive from our home to PTG is just at the range limit of the longest range vehicles, and no charging stations at the Toll Road Service Centers. Translation: a 4-1/2 hour drive becomes an overnight trip in both directions to allow for nocturnal recharging somewhere along the route.
You don't need a public charger. Often you can find a free 120v outlet somewhere in public especially in garages where the cleaning crew uses. I've seen malls where there's a 120v outlet near an utility area where you can pop your EV's charger cable to it and start charging. Many of those newly installed level 2 chargers are overpriced. Charging like $10 for 1/2 hour and can easily run into $30 to get your charged to to 80%.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:06 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
The infrastructure still isn’t there for much more than local driving. Still have to rent a car for vacations.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:08 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't need a public charger. Often you can find a free 120v outlet somewhere in public especially in garages where the cleaning crew uses. I've seen malls where there's a 120v outlet near an utility area where you can pop your EV's charger cable to it and start charging. Many of those newly installed level 2 chargers are overpriced. Charging like $10 for 1/2 hour and can easily run into $30 to get your charged to to 80%.
120VAC charging provides only 15 miles of travel for each hour connected. Recharging is cheap enough that some businesses, such as restaurants and stores, install chargers as an incentive to lure customers. Unfortunately, a one hour lunch or shopping trip may only provide you enough 'juice' to make it home again.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
120VAC charging provides only 15 miles of travel for each hour connected. Recharging is cheap enough that some businesses, such as restaurants and stores, install chargers as an incentive to lure customers. Unfortunately, a one hour lunch or shopping trip may only provide you enough 'juice' to make it home again.

Which is all you need. Remember, you're thinking about this like a gas car where you have to go somewhere to fill up again. In an EV you only need to get home where you will be filling back up overnight. It's not like you have to have enough charge to get home AND back out to a charging station.

With a car like the Bolt or Kona EV or Ioniq EV or a Model 3, you don't need a "refueling station" in your home town. You have one in your driveway and then can drive 130-150 miles away and back again on a single charge.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The infrastructure still isn’t there for much more than local driving. Still have to rent a car for vacations.
It’s there for most long-distance driving routes in the US for Tesla vehicles and it’ll likely be there within a couple of years for other networks since they are all for the most part using the same standard.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:47 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It’s there for most long-distance driving routes in the US for Tesla vehicles and it’ll likely be there within a couple of years for other networks since they are all for the most part using the same standard.
It's not sufficient yet... even for Tesla.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post

Maybe, but it's still cheaper overall to rent for a weekend or fly if you are going farther. Or rent an RV. But with cars like I just mentioned above, "local" travel is with a 130-150 mile radius without having to stop and charge to get home, and 200-250 miles radius with a charging stop and for most people (since most people live on or near the coasts) there are destination chargers that can fill up rapidly within that distance. You know how far 200-250 miles really is for most people? That's from Baltimore to NYC. I can't think of anyone who does that trip on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. But you could, easily.

Even people in more rural areas tend to stay within a 100 mile radius for most of their needs, staying mostly in their home towns.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's not sufficient yet... even for Tesla.

Yes it is, you can cross the country on a number of normal interstate routes. Many people do that. My buddy with his 2012 Model S goes to Arizona every year with his family in his Model S from here in Baltimore. He's taken a couple different routes on different years to see different parts of the country.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Logistics and Convenience. No public charging stations in my hometown, none on my commute to work, and none at work. Shockingly - I work at a Nuclear Power Plant!

Both our sons live in Pittsburgh, and the drive from our home to PTG is just at the range limit of the longest range vehicles, and no charging stations at the Toll Road Service Centers. Translation: a 4-1/2 hour drive becomes an overnight trip in both directions to allow for nocturnal recharging somewhere along the route.

I just looked on PlugShare and there are a number of Level 3 chargers (DC fast charge) on I76 between Harrisburgh and Pittsburgh and a ton around Pittsburgh. Even the ones between State College and Pittsburgh are situation where you can top off on the trip and on the way back if you wanted. DC Fast Charge stations are set up to go from 20% battery to 80% battery in 20 minutes and seem to be spaced about 100 miles apart across PA in every direction, with the exception of the far north by NY state. They do get a little dicey from Scranton up through the Tioga state forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive