Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 03:20 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

GM unveils new battery pack, and EV’s.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/4/21...y-ultium-tesla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 03:53 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
"The automaker has said it plans to release 20 electric nameplates by 2023 and will publicly unveil three of those vehicles in the months to come: the Cadillac “Lyriq” EV crossover in April and two electric versions of GMC’s Hummer in May. This will be followed “soon after” by the Cruise Origin, a shared, electric, self-driving vehicle developed by Cruise (a majority owned subsidiary of GM) and Honda."

Yeah in 3 more years lol

Old 03-04-2020, 05:07 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Nice! I hope they come out with some really competitive products.

Me, I like Camaros and I think pony cars are well-suited for being EVs.

I’d love to see an electric Camaro that stacks batteries below the (now usable since the lack of an engine means you can scoot the front seats a bit forward in the cabin and the back seat doesn’t have a transmission tunnel running through it) rear seats and trunk for a rear bias weight distribution with two powerful rear wheel motors. This then opens up the signature long hood for a ridiculously large frunk which I would like to open as a gull wing. Bonus points if a convertible.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-04-2020 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 05:13 PM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Yeah, beat that, Camaro

Old 03-04-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yeah, beat that, Camaro

The hood should be so long and a frunk so big that we’re talking an entire seafood buffet. That Mach E right there would look like a children’s platter in comparison.

That Mach E is fine and all, and the specs so far look good, but I’m hesitant to call it a Mustang and it’s definitely not a pony car. Even if it were, we all know Camaros are better than Mustangs. Always have, always will be.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I love it. I'm a huge Tesla fan (namely for the CT), but I always welcome competition in the EV market and elsewhere! More competition is a win-win for the consumer

Old 03-04-2020, 05:35 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Of course GM wants to also benefit from our tax supported incentives for people to purchase electric vehicle.
The Tesla valuation it is insane and with backbone, a bubble waiting to burst.
It is a matter of time before the automotive industry comes back for more support from our tax money.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:38 PM

12,437 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Tesla has been doing a lot of innovative things, but they don't have all the good ideas. I think it's great if GM is looking to raise the bar with new battery designs that will allow longer range, and that they've been working hard to reduce the cost of EV components and vehicle production. I hope that GM can hit a home run, if they do, then consumers win and GM workers win too, all good.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Of course GM wants to also benefit from our tax supported incentives for people to purchase electric vehicle.
The Tesla valuation it is insane and with backbone, a bubble waiting to burst.
It is a matter of time before the automotive industry comes back for more support from our tax money.
Well, on the federal level, GM actually already passed the threshold sales limit where the tax incentives wind down. Tesla also hit it already and has not gotten federal tax incentives since the beginning of this year. Nissan’s also quite close to getting its federal tax rebates sunset’d out. Short of removing the restrictions on EV tax rebates, it’s probably better for GM that the federal tax rebates were removed entirely since it gives all automakers not Tesla, and soon Nissan, a competitive advantage. My guess on why GM is slating a lot of this for 2023 is due to trying to avoid competing with other automakers who are still eligible.

Honestly, I’m with you on letting go of the carrot part of this whole thing. I think a large stick with upping vehicle registration fees for all vehicles including EVs and then increasing fuel tax by at least an order of magnitude and putting that into renewable energy research and mass transit funding is the way to go.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
They need to be better training their technicians to work on them, because right now most of them seem to be scared of touching them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive