Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
they'll be no big car deals because of the CV. It will end in a few weeks, dealerships aren't going to give them away in the mean time. Where do you people get these ideas? Selling cars below cost doesn't help the industry ....duh
The issue is not so black and white. Cash flow, or lack thereof, could change the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
GM has many acres of unsold 2018 vehicles, mostly unpopular models.They have even more 2019 vehicles. 2020 has been a slow model year with some models discontinued. Now they are down. If you have a vehicle you like, I recommend you get parts and consumables for it. Get a fan belt or two. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
What for ? Most cars have interchangeable parts not only between vehicles but even between brands in drivetrains and the aftermarket and auto dismantlers have plenty of new and used parts.

Some car dealers will make deals to move inventory. Some won’t. It really depends on what their cash needs are. Manufacturers have a arsenal of things they can do to move vehicles. You may find deep discounts from employee pricing to 0% financing to rebates

Old 03-26-2020, 05:36 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
GM has many acres of unsold 2018 vehicles, mostly unpopular models.They have even more 2019 vehicles. 2020 has been a slow model year with some models discontinued. Now they are down. If you have a vehicle you like, I recommend you get parts and consumables for it. Get a fan belt or two. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Do you have a link to the acres of unsold 2018s? I went to Ebay and typed in 2018 Chevrolet, then clicked cars and trucks and "NEW." I got 6 results, 2 of which were box trucks.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/6001/i.html...Condition=1000

The other 4: 2 Silverados, 1 Camaro 6 cyl/manual, 1 Cruze. Not exactly "acres"

FYI- cars no longer have "fan belts" but rather serpentine belts that run multiple parts

Old 03-26-2020, 05:56 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Do you have a link to the acres of unsold 2018s? I went to Ebay and typed in 2018 Chevrolet, then clicked cars and trucks and "NEW." I got 6 results, 2 of which were box trucks.

FYI- cars no longer have "fan belts" but rather serpentine belts that run multiple parts
Not too many new cars advertised on Ebay period. I did a quick and dirty search for new 2018 cars on Cars.com and it returned over 9,000. Thats many acres of cars and that just the ones advertised on that particular website.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:08 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Where are you getting this from? GM doesn't own any vehicles - the dealers do - so where would these unused 2018's be sitting, exactly?

As far as the parts are concerned, even when an OEM discontinues a model they are legally required to provide OEM replacement parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued, so I don't know why anyone would be rushing out to buy a bunch of parts. The *only* issue with these parts sometimes is dealers may not stock certain slow-selling parts and an order may need to be placed which could take some time depending on the part. (But common things like belts should be readily available for a long time.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

There are still a few 2018 Buick Regal TourX wagons from Opel-Germany rotting on dealer lots. Tons of 2019. I can only imagine how those will be discounted in another few months. They sold better in the snow belt as an Outback alternative. The leftovers tend to be in the south where nobody cares about AWD wagons.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:27 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,156,393 times
One has to stop ask....WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING???.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
People want the economy to "tank?" That my folks, is Americans needing to get responsible and educate themselves about a variety of topics.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
One has to stop ask....WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING???.
If you have a bunch of cash, it would be nice to buy that house for 30 cents on the dollar and buy stocks at a big discount.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you have a bunch of cash, it would be nice to buy that house for 30 cents on the dollar and buy stocks at a big discount.
You could buy stocks at huge discounts right now. If you bought a few days ago you would of made money.

30 cents on the dollar...sounds good to me. Too bad it’s a pipe dream

Old 03-26-2020, 10:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You could buy stocks at huge discounts right now. If you bought a few days ago you would of made money.

30 cents on the dollar...sounds good to me. Too bad it’s a pipe dream
The condo I bought in 2012 is worth almost 4 times as much today. Yeah, I bought at .30 on the dollar. My mistake was... I should have bought 2 at the time, I had the cash.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
I have been thinking about getting a newer car to replace my current daily driver, not a brand new car, just one with less miles. I am ok financially, and still have my job, but I have decided to wait until this thing ends up where it will end up before I make any financial decisions.

We simply do not know how this thing will go or how long it will last, so I would rather preserve cash for emergencies than to spend it on something I really do not need right now. I have other cars to drive, if it gets to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive