Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Motorcycles are the obvious "solo" vehicle, but they're plagued by rather ominous issues of safety. By this I mean the fact that in any but the most trivial bump, the rider/driver is separated from the vehicle, and become a projectile. A loss of tire-traction can result in a slide and a very serious injury, whereas the driver of even the tiniest and flimsiest 4-wheel vehicle would only have an embarrassing spin.

Between having no cargo/passengers, present residence in a warm/dry climate, parking-challenges and traffic-challenges, a motorcycle would be ideal for me personally... were it not for fear of snapping my spinal chord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 11:25 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I'd rather they focus on drag coefficient so they can make more fuel efficient vehicles. It could be done but they are afraid that the masses wouldn't buy them because of the ugly factor.

https://www.aerocivic.com/

Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,228,591 times
If I was living in one of those golf cart retirement communities where you can get everything you need without leaving the community....maybe. But for $20k there are a lot of options for a golf cart type experience, enclosed with A/C.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i dont really see the point

Old 05-27-2020, 11:44 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Being that this is the typical occupancy load of almost all 5000 lb SUVs and Light Duty trucks, one, being daily driven out there as well as easily meeting 90% of daily mileage range for most drivers I get why this is being produced and marketed but Americans will never go for it. We’ve gotta have way more metal, horsepower and seats around us than we ever need to feel comfortable.

Well, here's an interesting thing I have heard yesterday. Apparently, after city conglomerates were hit by COVID and, primarily, due to major human mass aggregation and, add to that that many started working from home, there is a strong trend to go suburb/rural now. Suburb/Rural real estate is in big demand.

Now, what exactly is that you need to make a quick jump out of your home office to, say, grab a pizza? That is few miles away? A full blown sedan or SUV?

Also, folks that work from home, may find such thing appealing as a techy toy. And, you do not need to go to gas station to fill her up ever so often.

I am not saying, this particular one. But, such concepts have been produced by Honda and Toyota for few years.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:45 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
http://www.google.com/url?q=https://...9ZBUm8bISri3u7
Interesting concept, but only a one seater. Advertised range of 100 miles, maybe all right for long distance commuters. But you can't take anyone with you. Your thoughts?
Well, some people just like odd ball things.

100 miles
$20,000
--

Nope. If it was under $10,000 maybe but it's not going to sell for $20,000 in any appreciable numbers beyond a few people that just like odd things.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Meh.
We have a 2015 Spark EV. Right now it is getting an avg. estimated range around 95 miles/full charge with a max estimated range of 112 miles or so. It easily seats four people, has lots of torque and you could buy one now for less than $10k.
If you want a cheap EV, that is the one to buy.
Doesn't matter where you live, either. Carvana specializes in them and they deliver.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:29 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Consumers rarely even buy two-seat vehicles. With a one-seat car, everyone will think, “even though I might be the only person in the vehicle 99.99%, there’s still that 0.01% where I will need it!"

Old 05-27-2020, 04:45 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Motorcycles are the obvious "solo" vehicle, but they're plagued by rather ominous issues of safety. By this I mean the fact that in any but the most trivial bump, the rider/driver is separated from the vehicle, and become a projectile. A loss of tire-traction can result in a slide and a very serious injury, whereas the driver of even the tiniest and flimsiest 4-wheel vehicle would only have an embarrassing spin.

Between having no cargo/passengers, present residence in a warm/dry climate, parking-challenges and traffic-challenges, a motorcycle would be ideal for me personally... were it not for fear of snapping my spinal chord.
They're surprisingly expensive to run, too. Tires go much faster, and service intervals are much shorter. I commuted by motorcycle for 5 years or so - anything to get the better of Los Angeles traffic - and just didn't see much difference, monetarily. Saved some time, but having to change in and out of full protective kit at each end of the trip ate into that. And rainy days meant taking your life into your hands.

Good fun on week-ends, so there was that.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:57 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Only if you have the money to buy another car, a normal one, for everything else you use a car for. And nothing better to spend all that money on.

I don't see the point of the little one at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive