Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 07:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,585,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieboy43 View Post
Buy used from private seller. Handover cash. Done. Quick/simple.
If I was a mechanic or married to one, I'd definitely go that route. Otherwise, the problem with that is you don't know what existing or developing problems the car has that the seller will not tell you about. I prefer new cars, by reputable makers that have demonstrated to be good, solid cars, so Ill never end up on the side of the street or freeway with a stalled car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,618,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Even then, at 4:30, they still wanted me to walk through the service department and meet everybody, as if I gave a damn.
To Minivan Driver, your experience sounds like a pain in the butt but the poster below makes me think this was especially tone deaf of the dealership during the COVID pandemic. "Yeah, let's just have you go through the entire service department to meet all these random techs. What could go wrong?" I hope at the least they were exercising social distancing and masks but my experience with automotive techs is they haven't done such a good job with this when they're around customers/each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I was a bit annoyed (especially in these Covid times) when I made an appointment to pick up the car. They were not ready and it took almost 2 hours to get out.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unfortunately for car dealers the lobbying has had no effect on Carvana's used car model which is eating the big boys alive from the sales perspective, along with already established CarMax. Probably one of the many reasons used car sales are up has to do with the fact many would rather crawl over broken glass than put up with the BS storm, not to mention the unfavorable depereciation factor and trade value later on.
That's exactly what I did when I purchased my used car. A dealership 5 hours away from me was giving me the ole run around asking me to come to the store and we could discuss financing terms. I instead bought my car, which was located in Georgia, through Carvana.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,017,686 times
I bought a new 4Runner earlier this year. I had done some research on a payment calculator on my credit union's web site, so I knew about what I was looking at regarding payment. This was August and the Toyota lot nearest me did not have any 4Runners or Tacomas. Their used affiliate did have the exact 4Runner trim I wanted in 2019 model. The manager on this side ran the numbers and just as I suspected the monthly was actually higher than what I'd be paying for a new model.

I went back over to the new lot and in about an hour had a deal in place. About 30 minutes later I was leaving. That was a Saturday. The following Monday the car was on the lot, but I was unable to pick it up that day because I was engaged with something. The next day I was in and out in about 15 minutes.

I felt the pre-owned manager tried in good faith to get a fair deal, the financing options for the new were just better. The gentleman I worked with was pretty good. Found me a color I wanted and was able to get it delivered pretty quickly. I'm sure they made their money too, but since when is that a bad thing? If dealers aren't making a profit they wouldn't be dealers. Bottom line: I got the car I wanted within the price I was willing to pay.

Not all dealers are bad.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
That's exactly what I did when I purchased my used car. A dealership 5 hours away from me was giving me the ole run around asking me to come to the store and we could discuss financing terms. I instead bought my car, which was located in Georgia, through Carvana.
Unfortunately Carvana's prices are normally about $2k too high.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 PM

8,354 posts, read 6,446,227 times
I have Car Pro radio program on Saturday mornings. He says December is the best time to buy a new car as the incentives are highest. January is the worst month.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:52 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Somebody was paying cash, and they still wanted to drag out the process, by laying some extended warranty trips on you??

I've always paid cash for cars. I only buy cars I can afford. Buying from private parties is easiest, and they always let me take the car to a mechanic before I pay. But I've bought from dealerships, too. None of the stuff you guys describe has ever happened. It's always been a no-muss, no-fuss experience. Maybe they do things differently in NM, IDK.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:55 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,870,444 times
I find Carvana, Vroom and carmax overpriced. Some carmax listings have issues with their history report. Another issues is I am in CA, where used cars don't rust. If I wanted to buy a car from New Jersey, I would want to pay less. I used to live in New England and working on a 6 year old car from there could be a major pain because of rusted parts/bolts.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:18 PM

2,150 posts, read 1,215,862 times
Why are car dealerships run by neanderthals?

Because they have the really old money!!

Not to mention they invented the wheel!

Old 12-18-2020, 07:48 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Money talks always. I walked out of a dealership over the attempt to charge me for floor mats and a extra key. I got in my car drive home. 10 min later a phone call and $500 cheaper and mentioned items free.

At my house closing, the lender made a issue over a ID that they have seen and had a copy of. I stood up and said Fook this I don’t have patience for this crap. We will walk away and pay cash. It was not a bluff as I could Afford to pay cash. The people in the room. The bank, title agent, no one gets Paid accept my lawyer and sellers lawyer. Magically the problem was fixed. When your threaten the paycheck things change real fast.

Car dealers are doing there job. And that job is to extract the most $$ from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive