Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

I certainly remember the days of needing to change antifreeze every single year. These days nearly all of it will last 5 years, unless you're using the cheapest stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 03:52 PM

6,438 posts, read 3,143,427 times
The above "horror stories" jogged my memory....when I was 16, back in the late 60s, I has a summer job at the "corner gas station". (anyone remember them?) Anyway, an older lady came in for some gas. She only wanted $2.00 worth, which was about 5.5 gallons, because she said she had purchased a new car, and was picking it up either the next day, or the day after.

I pumped the gas, and asked her if she wanted me to check the oil. At first she hesitated, but then decided it might be a good idea, since she didn't want anything to happen to the car, in her final days with it. I popped the hood and pulled out the dipstick, preparing to wipe it off, before re-inserting it. To my shock, it was already dry! I showed it to her, and she asked if I was sure. I said I was, but she got out of the car anyway, and closely watched me do it again.....and again, the stick came out bone dry.

Now, she's in a panic, as she doesn't want to spend anymore money that she had to. So, she tells me to put in a quart. I do, we wait a minute or two for it to drop to the pan. I pull the stick again, still dry. Now she's REALLY getting concerned, so we put in another quart. We wait, and the tip, the very tip of the stick is now damp. It most likely would have taken at least another quart, to bring it up to the full mark, but she declined, and said, "It's close enough"....

I remember the car, it was a '61-62 Ford Falcon, with the "standard" 6 cylinder engine, so it probably held 4-4.5 quarts of oil, at full capacity. She was driving around with probably just 1 quart of oil in it....

Old 01-02-2021, 05:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default After further research it turns out Prestone has taken all of the technology into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
My newest Toyota uses the Pink as well. I will be doing a lot more research about the ingredient specifics of Prestone's All Vehicle product in the future.

Prestone has been around a long time I would think that they have thought long and hard about making such a claim before doing so. I am also sure there are still a number of caveats with all the model specific's out there.

After further research it turns out Prestone has taken all my technology worries into consideration. Beyond that there are many competitors creating and selling the all vehicle antifreeze or coolant formulas. Here is another video update on (all vehicle antifreeze) defining more of what you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDyeFGMGETY

Old 01-02-2021, 05:38 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Ok now I'm worried. I hadn't considered changing the anti-freeze until I saw this thread. I always figured it was "good" unless there was a leak. I never changed it in my old Chevy truck that lasted 200k+ and it died after I hit a tree.

I'm not in a harsh climate (mid TN close to the Alabama line) . Do I need to change it regularly? I'm sure it would be a concern in Minnesota but Tennessee?

Old 01-02-2021, 05:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,437 times
Unless you have a leak and dilute the coolant with water the antifreeze does not "wear out"....it's the corrosion inhibitors that you need to be concerned about. If you don't ever change the antifreeze it's doubtful that the coolant will freeze....but your entire cooling system will eventually begin to corrode from the inside out. That is NOT a good thing.....

Old 01-02-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Unless you have a leak and dilute the coolant with water the antifreeze does not "wear out"....it's the corrosion inhibitors that you need to be concerned about. If you don't ever change the antifreeze it's doubtful that the coolant will freeze....but your entire cooling system will eventually begin to corrode from the inside out. That is NOT a good thing.....
Exactly. There's more to antifreeze than just keeping it from freezing, it also keeps your cooling system from rusting.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Ok now I'm worried. I hadn't considered changing the anti-freeze until I saw this thread. I always figured it was "good" unless there was a leak. I never changed it in my old Chevy truck that lasted 200k+ and it died after I hit a tree.

I'm not in a harsh climate (mid TN close to the Alabama line) . Do I need to change it regularly? I'm sure it would be a concern in Minnesota but Tennessee?
Whatever your owners manual says. If the vehicle is over 5 years old, and the antifreeze has never been changed, it's likely due.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:54 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Whatever your owners manual says. If the vehicle is over 5 years old, and the antifreeze has never been changed, it's likely due.
Many automakers are saying their engine coolant is good for 100K miles, I believe (same as the trans fluid). I just had the t'stat replaced and the cooling system flushed at 7 years (70K miles), and although the fluid didn't look bad, not changing it would have been silly. If I had to do it over, I would have done it at 5 years, and the trans. fluid as well. But I've heard so many horror stories of transmissions failing AFTER changing fluid in an older car that has not been changed previously, I'm a bit nervous about doing it now, especially since I most likely won't be keeping it past 100K anyway.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:12 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Back in the old days when you could hang out in the service bay while they worked on you car, I talked to a mechanic who was putting a replacement engine in an Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. The owner did not believe in oil changes, which was why the vehicle needed a replacement engine.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Stop fearmongering.

ANY new Peak or Prestone antifreeze is compatible with ANY existing OEM one, dreaded DEXCOOL including.

It says so loud and clear on their jugs and, if they do not want to pay lawsuits, they made sure it's the case.

So whatever is more cost efficient at the moment, OEM of aftermarket. Sometimes they run specials at dealerships.

And don't buy AF online or ebay, phony stuff is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive