Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 05:48 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,259,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I know know no country where people have diched normal family cars for a construction vehicle.
This is what you posted before, so I responded to it:
Quote:
The rest of the world does not buy a new construction vehicle as a family car. Now that is odd.

I do not assume that all peoples around the world have the same standard of living as the UK, having been around a lot of the world. I clearly know most do not think like me as well. I know many people that do not agree with me.

The point is that EVs will be the norm and quite quickly.
You were referring to "the rest of the world;" with place you are talking about the is not "the rest of the world"? Perhaps in the UK EV technology will happen rapidly, but I don't agree with you about the rest of the world. However, in other for that to happen in the UK, quite a large sum of money must be available in other to replace ICE with EV. Where will that money come from?

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-24-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
What you say does not tally. The average American does not do DIY every weekend needed a construction vehicle.
Here you go again Which do you consider construction vehicles from the following list?

-Pickup truck
-Backhoe
-Dozer
-Grader
-Front loader
-Belly dump truck
-Dump truck
-Crane

Old 02-24-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
A recent report sponsored by the US Energy Department and Federal Rail Administration notes that while powering freight trains with hydrogen is more technically challenging, it would ultimately have “the highest societal value”.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...climate-change

Diesel-electric is not efficient.
In the same article, which by the way is not about EV's, but hydrogen fuel

Quote:
The train’s hydrogen power system produces sufficient power to take the train 50 to 75 miles.
Quote:
But hydrogen trains come with their own challenges.

“We store about 20kg of hydrogen, and that is enough to run the fuel cell for three hours,” says Stuart Hillmansen, professor at Birmingham University and leader of the Hydroflex project. As such, longer-distance journeys wouldn’t yet be feasible. Engineers at the University of Birmingham’s Centre for Railway Research and Education, Porterbrook’s partner on the Hydroflex, are working on ways to extend these limits.
With our current hydrogen storage technologies, hydrogen takes up significantly more space than equivalent fossil fuels do – Raphael Isaac

And while hydrogen fuel cells can be as energy-efficient as diesel fuel, storing the gas can be a problem. “While hydrogen has a lot of energy per mass, because it is super light, it also takes up a lot of volume,” says Raphael Isaac, a researcher on fuel alternatives in rail at Michigan State University's Center for Railway Research and Education. “With our current hydrogen storage technologies, hydrogen takes up significantly more space than [equivalent] fossil fuels do.” Even though hydrogen is typically compressed, it’s still not as efficient per unit volume as fossil fuels.
In the US, Canada, Russia, Argentina, Brazil - such trains would have to travel thousands of miles, not just 75 miles or for a period of 3 hours. Fine, If you say that such a train (prototype) should work quite well in the UK, I have no choice but to believe you, since the UK is such as small nation.

Something else that I should mention: a tank containing hydrogen fuel in a train loaded with passengers should make a lot of us scared. I am not getting into the details, however.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-24-2021 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-24-2021, 10:03 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,771,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It is very normal for anybody not living in the USA to see our nation as being confused. It is also very normal for people not living in the UK to perceive you (the UK) as being confused. See...you are assuming that all peoples around the world have the same standard of living as you in the UK, and that all peoples think the way you do. You haven't realized that even in the UK there are people who don't agree with your views.

You aren't considering a myriad of factors that prevent others from not agreeing with your ideas. The US is 40 times larger than the UK. You haven't even considered that most people around the world live within their means in the most economical form possible. Most people aren't rich, and at the moment ICE is more economical than EV.
JohnUK is back after a 8 month hiatus. He basically trolls anything American and thinks he knows more about America than Americans. His comments are the same...we've seen this circus before.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
JohnUK is back after a 8 month hiatus. He basically trolls anything American and thinks he knows more about America than Americans. His comments are the same...we've seen this circus before.
Whoever he is, it seems that he enjoys ridiculing the USA.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,078,372 times
Quote:
Whoever he is, it seems that he enjoys ridiculing the USA.
I do not ridicule the USA.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Here you go again Which do you consider construction vehicles from the following list?

-Pickup truck
-Backhoe
-Dozer
-Grader
-Front loader
-Belly dump truck
-Dump truck
-Crane
All of them.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
In the same article, which by the way is not about EV's, but hydrogen fuel
Hydrogen can be produced by over-produced, wasted, electricity and overnight electricity. Hydrogen fuel cells are running at 60% efficiency. Far higher than internal combustion engines.
"Although less efficient than electric batteries, today's fuel cells compare favourably with internal combustion engine technology, which converts fuel into kinetic energy at roughly 25 per cent efficiency. A fuel cell, by contrast, can mix hydrogen with air to produce electricity at up to 60 per cent efficiency."
https://www.power-technology.com/com...rogen-economy/

Old 02-25-2021, 02:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,022,561 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkC0OEBnxM

Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I do not ridicule the USA.
If you are ridiculing Texas, you are in fact ridiculing the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive