Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 01:02 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,171,517 times

Advertisements

https://www.motor1.com/news/489509/p...22-production/

Quote:
Dr. Walliser believes that conventionally-fueled engines that use synthetic fuel will turn ICE-equipped cars into machines that are as clean as EVs. He added that eFuel is important to Porsche to reduce their CO2 output, citing that synthetic fuels are cleaner, have no by-product, have fewer particulates, and less NOx produced than current pump fuel.

Synthetic fuel might actually be the answer that make a lot more sense in the future than EV's which are limited by battery & electric grid

https://www.motor1.com/news/453621/p...nthetic-fuels/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 01:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,070,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Synthetic fuel might actually be the answer that make a lot more sense in the future than EV's which are limited by battery & electric grid.
EVs are not limited by battery and electric grid at all. catch up. Electricity is even in the sticks.

No matter what fuel is used, an internal combustion engine is still hopelessly inefficient. This Porsche fuel looks like an attempt to to keep old classic cars running, no more.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:05 PM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
EVs are not limited by battery and electric grid at all. catch up. Electricity is even in the sticks.

No matter what fuel is used, an internal combustion engine is still hopelessly inefficient. This Porsche fuel looks like an attempt to to keep old classic cars running, no more.
On the contrary, ICE's are becoming more efficient each year because of the CAFE and other government mandates. ICE's can also run on natural gas or propane, but the safest and cheapest is petroleum and biofuels.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:34 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Modern ICE engines are clean, very clean.

In good repair, the actual output of pollutants is next to nothing.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/489509/p...22-production/

Synthetic fuel might actually be the answer that make a lot more sense in the future than EV's which are limited by battery & electric grid

https://www.motor1.com/news/453621/p...nthetic-fuels/

So, just out of curiosity.. What is the synthetic fuel made from?

I mean, if they make it from nuclear waste and it outputs nothing but clean air.. Winner.

if it's like friggin ethanol, where you take up farmland for food to make fuel.. Not that this is a large problem, but if we're going to replace all gas with it.. Certainly could be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post

Hello from the sticks. You are incorrect. There's not a charging station within 25 miles of me.

Now, if I owned one, I could have a charger put in my house.. But, if someone were visiting me.. Not so much.

EV is the future, no question. But mass adoption will not come about until such time as recharging is as simple as refueling is now. Even with the cord to my house (Without a charging station), isn't the charge time ungodly?

and then, if you're doing a road trip, having to plan where to stop, unlike there being a gas station at every exit on the interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Depends on your definition of pollutants. CO2.. Well, it's still there. And more than 'next to nothing'.

And your 'in good repair' caveat is a pretty big caveat. Some of the vehicles I see on the road...

Old 02-24-2021, 09:32 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
At Car and Driver: "Porsche’s eFuels are made out of CO2 and hydrogen and are produced using renewable energy...One of eFuel’s big benefits is that you can pump it into a standard gasoline-powered vehicle without needing to make any adjustments to the engine."

I'm not buying this... the new fuel has a radically different chemistry compared to gasoline and there will be no needed adjustments to air-fuel mixture, valve timing, compression ratios, etc? And anything to do with hydrogen is energy intensive. I'm smelling marketing BS here...

Old 02-25-2021, 02:42 AM

12,508 posts, read 9,595,585 times
"Dr. Walliser said that when Porsche starts full production of eFuel, they expect a CO2 reduction of 85 percent. The German marque targets to start trials in 2022." - that sounds a little too good to be true. They don't say anything about what's in it, which doesn't help the impression that I have of magic.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:21 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,157,312 times
I’ve been noticing it in the Porsche Facebook feed. I’m assuming you’d have to fill up at dealers only? I don’t see this working...and dealers charging $10+ per gallon.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,445,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Which makes one wonder what is the actual "cleaner" solution to automobiles? ICE's with biofuels and synthetic fuels vs electrics and their batteries and need for charging. If all the manufacturing and sustained use pollutants are added up for both types of vehicles, which ones would pollute less? I don't have an answer, and I doubt we will ever get one.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Are they experimenting with "Heavy Water" also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive