Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 11:56 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times

Advertisements

We've sold cars at least 5 times on CL. Easily, quickly and at good prices. DH has always gone on the test drives after I take a photo if the potential buyer and his/her driver's license.

With social distancing, how would you manage a CL car sale? DH is high risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 12:50 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Do you need to sell the car right now? Can't you or a friend do the test drives instead of DH? Have the shopper wear a mask and/or hand them gloves to wear. When you get home, do what you'd do now when you get home from shopping/errands, etc. Wipe down "contact" surfaces in the car.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-09-2020 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 01:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,006,150 times
When I sell a used anything.

I meet people at a public place. Such as a hardware store parking lot or a convenience store parking lot.

As far as the virus goes. Well. Depends on where you live and how many cases. In my neck of the woods - there are few cases.

But - I guess one has to use some common sense. Maybe a lot of "wipes" and a nice N95 mask. But if in a high risk area - maybe wait awhile. Or find a low risk area - such as a relatives area - if low risk.

In my state they now offer free testing for all.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Do you need to sell the car right now? Can't you or a friend do the test drives instead of DH? Have the shopper wear a mask and/or hand them gloves to wear. When you get home, do what you'd do now when you get home from shopping/errands, etc. Wipe down "contact" surfaces in the car.
No we don't have to sell it now. But virtually all reports say that the market value of used cars is going to plummet as soon as this is over. Obviously, we'd rather not lose money because we waited too long.

I'm hesitant to do the test drives because I'm female - and maybe I'm wrong about that. Hell, DH is 77 years old - what the hell would he be able to do if 'something' happened. Asking friends would be even more difficult - virtually all are our age, and I don't think we could accept asking them to take the risk.

But your idea about mask and gloves is a good one. Thank you.

What we do now is he drives, I shop. He doesn't get out of the car. I purell when I leave the car and when I return, with him the only one touching the purell bottle. (No, I do not go so far as wiping down every damn thing we buy. Careful - yes. Paranoid - I hope not.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
When I sell a used anything.

I meet people at a public place. Such as a hardware store parking lot or a convenience store parking lot.

As far as the virus goes. Well. Depends on where you live and how many cases. In my neck of the woods - there are few cases.

But - I guess one has to use some common sense. Maybe a lot of "wipes" and a nice N95 mask. But if in a high risk area - maybe wait awhile. Or find a low risk area - such as a relatives area - if low risk.

In my state they now offer free testing for all.
We do meet in public places, but it doesn't solve the test drive problem. We are not in a super high risk area - Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. I haven't any idea what "free testing for all" has to do with this?

I'd LOVE to find him "a nice N95 mask." WHERE?

Old 05-09-2020, 02:39 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,006,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Footnote.
I did some construction/painting years ago. Hardware store painters mask. Been in storage years.
Looked at label. It states N95.

N95 coming on market. Here is one. LINK

Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 PM

705 posts, read 508,352 times
Not much virus in my rural county. I ended up having breakfast with the folks I bought my truck from. Country folks are the best.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Footnote.
I did some construction/painting years ago. Hardware store painters mask. Been in storage years.
Looked at label. It states N95.

N95 coming on market. Here is one. LINK
Thank you for the reply and for the link. I added my email address to be notified when these are back in stock.

I'm not holding my breath. At the present time, sales are restricted to health care professionals and first responders.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:39 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Dumb question but what is CL? I assume DH is designated husband.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:14 AM

17,360 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No we don't have to sell it now. But virtually all reports say that the market value of used cars is going to plummet as soon as this is over. Obviously, we'd rather not lose money because we waited too long.

I'm hesitant to do the test drives because I'm female - and maybe I'm wrong about that. Hell, DH is 77 years old - what the hell would he be able to do if 'something' happened. Asking friends would be even more difficult - virtually all are our age, and I don't think we could accept asking them to take the risk.

But your idea about mask and gloves is a good one. Thank you.

What we do now is he drives, I shop. He doesn't get out of the car. I purell when I leave the car and when I return, with him the only one touching the purell bottle. (No, I do not go so far as wiping down every damn thing we buy. Careful - yes. Paranoid - I hope not.)

We do meet in public places, but it doesn't solve the test drive problem. We are not in a super high risk area - Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. I haven't any idea what "free testing for all" has to do with this?

Look at the big picture before getting into a panic over a used car.......Is this a $2000-5000 car? Then the resale will not "plummet." They are talking about the used car markets at the 15-40K price point when the rental car fleets get dumped at the auctions due to lack of rentals/lack of travel.

If the rental fleets dump 100,000 SUVs into the used car market then yes your 2-3 year old SUV will likely drop in value by a few bucks. If you aren't selling it for 5 more years likely this hiccup will not matter.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM

6,480 posts, read 3,170,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Dumb question but what is CL? I assume DH is designated husband.
"CL" is Craigslist, but I was wondering what "DH" was.....

With respect to selling a car privately, you have to be aware that many DMV offices are not open for business. Therefore, you won't be able to do a legal transfer of ownership/registration.

I know that dealers are still able to sell cars, but it might be that in some states, they have the ability to act as an agent for the DMV, and do the required paperwork by a computer link to the DMV databank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive